Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey TI what's up? i'm going to be doing an engine swap from my 94 ls to a b20z, i know they're almost similar but how much would i have to buy besides the engine to make this swap work? in other words, can i just buy the engine? and can i make it vtec later?

·
Registered
3,719 Posts
Yea I was just looking for some posts like this but i was looking for dynos, but from what i heard, people usually put in the b20 and add the vtec later and have the LS head on it tbe b20? Am i getting that correct?

·
Registered
31,217 Posts
there are several people with an LS who look for the B20 block only,since the heads are identical.

B20 nonVTEC with ITR exhaust.

it gets confusing at 5200 rpm where the torque curve crosses the hp curve. You know which one is which right? The one that starts in the lower bottom left and ends up in the top right corner is the hp curve (the red vs blue is a change in fuel pressure).

Usually people drop in the B20 block first and don't run VTEC. Then, for example, a person like Val dropped in a b16a head, ITR IM, ITR cams, JDM 4-1, Tanabe downpipe, 2 3/8 in. Tanabe ES exhaust, 11.95 CR, Walbro fuel pump, stock injectors and lotsa tuning later...

He's got a Civic and so it's lighter. He's in the 12 sec club.

The swap is a straight drop in for the B20 block into an LS.

You guys who are just starting should read up over at www.crvtec.com before you start messing with your engine.

·
Registered
5,536 Posts
but really...i'm not a real engine tech-head so doing the b20 swap would seem to be a lot more money for extra parts to make it 'go-fast'. i'll just stick with a c1/turbo swap...

·
Registered
31,217 Posts
it really depends on what you start out with. The cheapest ways to get respectable torque from a 2L displacement:

for B18C owners, the cheapest way is to bore to 85mm and resleeve...no doubt. You already have the VTEC head and there's no added install fidgeting costs like the LS/VTEC and B20VTEC owners to get the head to fit without leaking oil and coolant or blowing a head gasket.

For RS/LS owners, they need to price out the difference between swapping an 84mm bore B20 block versus boring out and resleeving their B18A/B18B block and then having it prepped (dowel pins) for the VTEC head. The cost of machine shop services varies from state to state and country to country and the availability of B20 blocks will determine their local price (basic supply/demand theory on pricing). So I can't compare Toronto costs to say California costs where I'm sure they have a shortage of B20 blocks by now and the costs have gone up.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts