Team Integra Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there! I own a DC4 1995 Integra RS, with a B18B1(Non Vtec), there are 262,000km on the engine, and I have a few bolt on parts such as intake, exhaust, and headers. I want to produce more power without turboing this engine or without getting into too much internal work. This is my first project car and I’m into the street scene so surprising people with my build is my goal. Eventually I’d like to swap… maybe in a year or so, but I’m stuck on what to swap with. Lots of people are saying I go with a B18B again, get B16 internals and head and turbo it. As much as I’d love to do that, the overall idea just isn’t something I want to get into. I’m thinking of going with a B18C1, but does anyone know how much I’m going to have to change in order for my car to run with that engine? I’ve been told everything will line up fine… and I’ve been told I’m going to basically rebuild my engine bay if I do that.

Any advice on power upgrades, engine swaps, or what I’d have to change inorder to run a B18C would be very appreciated! Thank you : )

·
Administrator
4,480 Posts
Welcome to the site.

While it's great that you want power advice, I can tell that you're falling into the trap of "lego building" as we call it. That term basically means that you're working backwards with your goals. You're asking about parts and products to add to your engine, without an "end-goal" stated. That "end-goal" should be what power you're looking to have (WHP).

Every engine acts differently, even if the same modifications are done with both, which is why nobody can say "use xyz-part or product to gain more power". What may work for someone else's build may not necessarily work for you.

That being said, what is your end WHP goal? It's great that you told us that you don't want to turbo, but please make sure to let us know what your power expectations are, so that possible advice can be given with the method that you're looking to go with (which I'm assuming you're staying N/A if you're not turbo'ing the car).

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome to the site.

While it's great that you want power advice, I can tell that you're falling into the trap of "lego building" as we call it. That term basically means that you're working backwards with your goals. You're asking about parts and products to add to your engine, without an "end-goal" stated. That "end-goal" should be what power you're looking to have (WHP).

Every engine acts differently, even if the same modifications are done with both, which is why nobody can say "use xyz-part or product to gain more power". What may work for someone else's build may not necessarily work for you.

That being said, what is your end WHP goal? It's great that you told us that you don't want to turbo, but please make sure to let us know what your power expectations are, so that possible advice can be given with the method that you're looking to go with (which I'm assuming you're staying N/A if you're not turbo'ing the car).
Honestly. Don’t want anything too powerful. I’d be happy pushing anywhere from 260+ WHP. I would totally turbo a future engine, just not my B18B1… maybe I should’ve worded that better.

·
Administrator
4,480 Posts
Honestly. Don’t want anything too powerful. I’d be happy pushing anywhere from 260+ WHP. I would totally turbo a future engine, just not my B18B1… maybe I should’ve worded that better.
You're not going to achieve that power level without going turbo. Your stated goal is 100whp more than stock. A stock b18C1 will get you around 155-160whp. Basic bolt-on's "might" get your 10-12whp from stock, and would include needing a tune to maximize drivability & power.

·
Registered
172 Posts
If you're not willing to do any "internal work" on your current engine, then your only real option is tuning your ECU. There are ways of pushing a little more horsepower out of that engine with a professional tuner & dyno & Hondata S300 module installed in your stock ecu. But that would probably run you close to $1500 all in. And by that time, you're half way to a B18C1 GSR motor.

If I were you, I would drive your car as is for now. As all the non-invasive bolt-ons have already been installed on your car. So my advice is to save money. Get parts together, and then swap when you are ready. But keep in mind your end goal with the car. If you want high HP N/A performance, your engine will need much different internals than a turbo build.

·
Registered
383 Posts
What is your maximum budget? Twenty years ago, a good rule of thumb was to spend $100 per every horse power of gain, so it was easy to go turbo and spend $3,500 to meet your goals.

Your goal of getting 260 naturally aspirated hp out of a 1.8L "B" series or a "C" series motor will cost more than a new Civic Type R.
Sure it can be done on the "C" series, but the most you can expect from a n/a non-vtec "B" series motor is 225 hp.

A mid-west engine builder (KingMotorSports) offers a N/A "B" series with 214 hp and they're pros.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts