Team Integra Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for advice on what to replace and suggestions on what to replace with, for an engine rebuild. About to have it bored and honed.
  • Pistons and rings - I know I will need to replace. Do/should I do rods? Any particular brand recommendations?
  • Valves? Springs? They don't look good, but sure the machine shop can tell me more Recommended brands?
  • Bearings - expecting to replace. Again recommendations?
  • We also plan on replacing things like mounts, radiator, oil pan, all associated gaskets, water pump, oil pump, and radiator hoses.
  • Any other things to consider doing now, to do it right?
Background: Working with my son to rebuild a 98 Integra LS 5-speed, as his first car. We have the engine pulled and ready to bring to machine shop for honing and bore. Engine was burning quite a bit of oil when we purchased and cylinder 3 had poor compression. Some photos below. Visually, things look pretty good...some scoring in cylinders 3 & 4. Valves look poor, to my untrained eye.

Goal: Don't need to break the bank on parts, but also not looking to be cheap. Rather replace with quality parts and do it right. If I'm investing my time and money on rebuild, I rather take care of things now. Not looking to boost the engine or anything, really just a solid rebuild. If it gains some HP along the way, great...but not the goal.

Product Engineering Gas Auto part Machine Automotive tire Road surface Rim Asphalt Manhole Automotive tire Motor vehicle Light Automotive design Automotive lighting

·
Registered
13 Posts
For just a fun daily car, get a vtec head and build that. It can easily become a money pit. I had lsvtec with ls bottom and it was fun to drive. Now I went high compression and fully built head. Waiting on tuner to schedule me in to see what power it makes. I used supertech dual valve kit with flat faced valves and Nippon pr3 Pistons on ls rods. I strongly urge you to get arp head studs, rod bolts and crank studs. Have machine shop install them.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the advice. Checking into those options now! Since it's his first car, high performance is not my mission ;-) He can look to doing that later on his dime!

Sidebar question...with engine and tranny out, any other recommended things to consider replacing? I'm going to replace clutch and engine mounts. Anything else?

·
Registered
2001 Integra Type R
45 Posts
How was the transmission before pulling out? Might not be a bad idea to freshen up.
Bk390ws

If you're mechanically inclined this is not to hard of job. You can get new synchro springs from
synchrotech

On the engine. New gasket kit obviously. I've had good luck with OEM honda, sealing tec, ITM, Fel-pro, APEX and Victor Reinz. OEM honda is best, but the others if cleaned and prepped correctly work great too! Especially since your not building a hot rod. Make sure the surface of head and block are square and flat before reassembly.

Your machine shop will probably want you to do valve guides as well. But for damn sure do the Valve seals. Get a good brand on those. I prefer Skunk2, Supertech or GSC Power-Division viton(I like these best). Make sure you do Viton on both intake and exhaust. Oem honda will do as well. I just like the GSC best. The blue color is nice too and a good indication of viton material. If you have never done valve seal on a honda, it might be best to have the machine shop do it. It can be a pain in the butt. I'm do them several times a year and built a slide hammer attachment and it makes the job go buy without cussing usually...lol
Good Luck!!!

·
Registered
2001 Integra Type R
45 Posts
Also, on the bearings and valve train. I like king bearings. I've also had luck with others too. On the springs, you can probably ask around on some good used ones or ask your machine shop. I like manley and skunk 2 or if you have deep wallets ferrea springs. Not a big fan of the super tech valve train.
Good luck

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Appreciate all that input. The tranny seemed to shift fine as we drove it home. But drove it rather easy. For about $250, might not be a bad call to rebuild while it's out. I'll search for some DIYs to better understand the process before committing to it.

Will definitely update once we have the engine back and start rebuilding things! Thanks again.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Sounds like you have a good plan. Valves are cheap though. You can get a new set of valves for around $100-$200. Supertech makes good valves & springs. But I personally don't like their valve stem seals. So I would go OEM or parts store for those. And replace the keepers too. Also worn valve guides can cause burning oil as well. Ask me how I know.

I would be careful about head work though. You can end up spending $500-$700 on parts & machine work just on the head. Where as you can buy pre-rebuilt heads from machine shops online for around $400.

A new oil pump is a must too. The rods are probably fine. But you gotta bring the machine shop the new pistons and rods for fitting & measuring anyway. So you could have the rods measured while they are there.

You'll need the block and head (if you rebuild the old head) resurfaced.

As for rod & main bearings, I like "King" bearings.

I would stray from going Vtec or adding power if this is your first time as it will only add cost & unneeded complexity.

Good luck. Update us on the progress.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts