Team Integra Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey need some help there is a 2000 gsr for sale with 120k on the body but the engine was replaced due to hydro lock and has 37k on it , the vins off the old engine were put on the new one , he said he can get the paper work on the engine faxed but is there any way i can find out if the swap was really done, is therre any tests u can run to check compression or anything? thanks alot

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
First of all, I wouldn't trust ANY 2000 GS-R that has 120k on the body.

Second, I think it's actually illegal to change the VIN on anything.

Finally, in answer of your question, you can get compression and leakdown tests performed by a reliable mechanic.

You should run the VIN through Carfax and try to get the VIN from the replacement engine also.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I am located in Houston Tx the car is a 2000 gsr the first engine hydro locked the engine was replaced but the vins were placed on the new engine which at this moment has 37k miles on it the body it self has 120k miles it was drivin to austin to dallas every weekend, he wants 10,500 for the car, how can i really find out if the swap was made?he said he will show me the papers it was swapped at joetec i am thinking about calling them and asking but other then that is there anyother waym to find out if it was really swapped?

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
<-----2000 teg, 73k
1987 teg, 103k

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
yeah i know about the high miles the point of my post was to find out if the seller is telling the truth about the engine swap, and i have seen the body it is in good condition.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have been thinking even if the car has not had an engine swap what all would i need to replace on the engine to make it strong enough to handle boost? pistons,gaskets ? am i in the right direction?

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
I have a 98 GS with 95,500 on it.. sucks, im afraid to do anything with that kinda mileage.. guess I could do a b18c1 swap

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
integra04life on Sep/22/02 said:
... but the vins were placed on the new engine which at this moment has 37k miles on it the body it self has 120k miles it was drivin to austin to dallas every weekend, he wants 10,500 for the car...
thats what people sell my GsR for.. i wouldn't risk it. considering it's been driven to and from every week. i'll bet he didnt take care of the car at all.. 37k and hydrolocked.. i wonder what else he put his car through..

my 98 GsR has 70K.. geez.. i thought i drove a lot.. 83K on that "newer engine".. where did he get it from? acura dealer? japan? stolen?/salvaged car?

the only thing is the vin # is printed on the tranny.. not the block.. so i dont see any way you can tell if it was swapped out.. even with paperwork.. egads sounds like a big headache to me if something goes wrong.

·
Registered
240 Posts
integra04life on Sep/22/02 said:
hey need some help there is a 2000 gsr for sale with 120k on the body but the engine was replaced due to hydro lock and has 37k on it , the vins off the old engine were put on the new one
sounds to me like there has never been a swap at all... treat the car as if it has the 120k on the engine... that's certainly how the bank that would loan you the money would view it...

the seller is likely just trying to get a few extra bucks out of it by saying the engine has less miles on it than the odometer clearly shows... don't fall for it!

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
integra...imo, you should stay away from the car...like swift said it is prob the orig engine.

even if the engine only has 30k on it, the body still has 120k you got to think about other stuff going bad besides the engine...i know tegs last a long time but hell you got to draw the line...10K for 120K on a body seems a little pricey to me

·
Registered
240 Posts
in my opinion, every integra is a worthwhile vehicle... each deserves the opportunity to be cared for by an enthusiast... offer the guy a reasonable amount for a car with 120k on the body AND engine... then treat it with a lot of TLC...

GS-R's are hard to come by, at least in south florida

1 - 18 of 18 Posts