Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I do not have an Honda owner's manual for my 97 ITR. I am told that the recommended oil grade is 10w-30? Is this correct?

My car was made for the JDM. I live in Jamaica where it is pretty warm most of the year (85-95F). Plus I race drag the car ( a daily diver) monthly on street specs. Should I use a more viscous oil? Say 20w-50, 10w-40, 15w-50 etc.

Is there anything wrong with mixing oil grades? If I do mix say 0-30 with 20-50, will I get the best of both worlds? ie. better protection at startup and better protection at high operating temperatures.

Sorry if some of these questions seems a bit novice. Clear answers are hard to come by.

·
Registered
31,217 Posts
The European ITR's run 20W_ oils in their summers. Honda calls for 10W30 over here. Yes.

I run pretty hefty CR's and in the summers up here it can hit 95F on some days.

With the higher engine heat, and especially on a lapping session, I run 10W40 synthetic in the summer.

In the fall-winter, I drop down to 5W30. When I store her I add moly for the start up in the spring after storage for extra protection.

Be aware that your warranty (doesn't apply to you in this thread but for others reading it) may get voided if you go to a 40-50 weight in North America.

I really do believe in those baffled oil pans when you pull hefty cornering g's. They do bring peace of mind for those who do more than just go in a straight line and push the limits.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So I take it that you think that 20w-50 is ok?

Also, what are your views on mixinf oil grades...say 0/5w-30 with 10w-40 or 20w-50?

·
Super Moderator
25,239 Posts
20w is too heavy at startup IMO....so is 50 at operating temp. Use 10w40 since you are in a warm environment.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts