1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Administrator
43,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Arg, there is one thing that drives me crazy about Car Audio: engine whine

The stream of my system:
- CVA-1005 > RF OEQ-1 > Kicker X3i > Kicker Amp

and i have had this super annoying induced engine noise that i just couldn't get rid of. Anyways, when my amp decided to let the genie out (read: fried it's insides and let out all the smoke through the fan) and i sent it away, i planned on tackling this issue when i reinstalled, which was this weekend.

anyways, spent all day saturday doing this, doing that, moving this wire, regrounding this wire.. fire it up at about 9 pm at night.. ***whiiiiiiine*** went my front speakers (uggg).... so last night i bypassed the EQ.. still noise.. i go one step further and bypass the crossover (go deck to amp directly), no noise!.. so i have this figured out, right? it's my x-over causing the noise. So this morning i hook everything back the way it was with the noise (so i had my full system going again), and... aaaarrgggg!!!! still no noise!!.. what the???

sometimes i really hate car audio, lol.. i am totally out of answers.. granted right now i am noise-free, but the pessismist in me just doesn't trust it

·
Registered
9,198 Posts
Hehe...yeah, I hate that. I've eliminated the noise from mine, except for on AM radio stations, just some grounds. The "whine" noise is equally as annoying as the infamous "hum and buzz" in pro audio...nothing worse than setting up a huge PA system, flipping the switches, and getting a nasty buzzzzzzzzz...I hate that.

At least the noise is out of yours for now...and hopefully it stays that way. I've often wondered about having extra shielding around the power/ground wires and grounding the shield at the input end...maybe that will help?

·
Registered
21,518 Posts
What needs to be done:

The input power is NOISEY!! I had the same problem with an EQ that I made myself. What worked for me is to put a rectifier diode on the positive power input of the eq. It sounds like the EQ manufacturer didnt do enough to filter the power to the actual circuits in the box.

Second option. Filter with a capacitor and a diode! Put a fairly large 12V cap (not more than 30,000uF) between the positive and negative bat terminals AT the EQ. This will buffer any peaks and vallies in the crappy 12V DC input. These can be had at radioshack for a little of nothing.

I think the diode should work in your case, but keep me posted ok?

·
Super Moderator
25,245 Posts
Sometimes I like to put it on an AM station that doesn't come in on my radio and turn it up and you can hear the sound of your engine real nicely...my friend and I always found it funny when we were at idle and it sounded like the car was farting...hehe.

·
Registered
999 Posts
my system just went in yesterday...and i have a noise, but i dont think its the same one...it sounds like its comin from my intake...ill accelerate...then when i switch gears or let off the gas..my car turns into a spaceship...a weird noise comes outta the engine...and i assume its the intake...it makes it when im cruising without hittin the gas, and it goes away when i hit the brake...????? any ideas...

·
Registered
999 Posts
yeah its not comin from the speakers at all...definately comin from the engine bay...i should be gettin a new intake soon....hopefully that will remedy my problem...later

·
Registered
532 Posts
I dont know if this will help but, when i had my old amp i had a noise in the speakers when the engine reved i checked ground and power wires they were fine. So i sent it into service turns out some wires inside "fell out" and the grounds on the RCA's were bad.... so i got a new amp for free and now no noise! Just a suggestion.

·
Registered
151 Posts
hey Z try this:

Make another ground in the engine bay.
You have the ground that is connected to the battery right. Get you a good ground wire and terminals, ground that wire to the frame of the car. Make it short too, shave the paint off etc......and connect it to the battery. I have not had do this but my friend did it to his car and with 10 woofers and 6 amps with and eq, radio and 8 speakers he has no engine whine at all.

try that and see what ups.

sig

·
Registered
999 Posts
i just heard that whine yesterday...got rid of the other noise...something with my rims...weird...glad i found it though...think my rim woulda fallen off if i didnt...but let me know what the best way to get rid of the whine is...the only noise i wanna hear comin from my teg is at 5500 rpm's

·
Registered
226 Posts
get a head unit with some serious rca output volts, that will help the engine noise, most entry line decks only have a 2 to 4 volt pre out, i have had a lot of problems in other cars i have owned, good grounds, high quality rca wires, do not run rca wires and power wires together, that will cause engine noise if they have to cross at some point do it at a 90 degree, but a good pre out spec on the head unit helps a lot, my eclipse 5101 has three eight volt pre outs.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts