Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone!
I just wanted to see what you all in my situation would do. I had burning oil for a while and one day driving the engine light started blinking and engine was idling down to zero and up to 1rpm...basically sounding like it was dying. normally I’d check oil level and pour more in as needed but I didn’t forget...I’ve asked plenty of mechanic friends and basically came down to conclusion is piston rings.. at this point it’s either rebuild or swap engine. Please let me know what you would do or if there are any recommendations for rebuild kits I can buy from. I am leaning more towards rebuild...should I rebuild to stock or for performance. Please let me know what you think? Thanks so much!

·
Administrator
3,962 Posts
With the engine light on/blinking, what code did you pull?

Also - Please be sure to provide year, model, engine type, mods, etc. Having more data about your setup, helps us....help you.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Whoops sorry. It’s a 1999 integra GsR. Can’t remember code exactly. I believe it was misfire in 3 cylinders. Friends checked compression and there were none in three cylinders...

·
Administrator
3,962 Posts
Whoops sorry. It’s a 1999 integra GsR. Can’t remember code exactly. I believe it was misfire in 3 cylinders. Friends checked compression and there were none in three cylinders...
No compression at all would mean the engine shouldn't even be starting. But, I agree it sounds like an engine build is necessary. For a rebuild, I won't ever recommend anything other than OEM parts from Honda. You could also engine swap, but you need to out-weigh the cost difference between the two.

Nobody can answer your question about rebuilding to stock or performance, other than you. The word "performance" is broad. Obviously, the cost goes up, and how much it goes up really is up to you on what your HP goal is.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Right I understand it’s up to me at the end...but I guess I’m wondering if anyone has had this problem and rebuild with something that was successful for them.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No compression at all would mean the engine shouldn't even be starting. But, I agree it sounds like an engine build is necessary. For a rebuild, I won't ever recommend anything other than OEM parts from Honda. You could also engine swap, but you need to out-weigh the cost difference between the two.

Nobody can answer your question about rebuilding to stock or performance, other than you. The word "performance" is broad. Obviously, the cost goes up, and how much it goes up really is up to you on what your HP goal is.
Well honestly I feel like since I’m in this situation already. I would love to just rebuild to more power instead of stock..but what would it cost? And what are my options? I know it is a broad question because tuning would come into play...but I guess I just want to find out, is if anybody here has gone thru the same situation and found success with their rebuild...I just want to find some insight before I make my decision...

·
Administrator
3,962 Posts
Well honestly I feel like since I’m in this situation already. I would love to just rebuild to more power instead of stock..but what would it cost? And what are my options? I know it is a broad question because tuning would come into play...but I guess I just want to find out, is if anybody here has gone thru the same situation and found success with their rebuild...I just want to find some insight before I make my decision...
Again, cost is going to be associated to what you want done. Do you want to stay N/A? Do you want to go forced induction? What are your HP goals? What do you want to do with the car (daily, autocross, drag, street, show)? We want to be able to give you insight, but you need to let us know what your goals are with the vehicle, before anyone can do that.

People have rebuilt their engines with success. People have rebuilt for performance to meet their goals with success (such as myself). But success is relative and subjective for each individual based upon their desired expectation from the beginning.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey jjkz24,
Yes I know it’s very broad...I guess what I’d like to ask is if you guys no my different options...as far as from stock to upgrading a bit more for more horsepower. Basically I already understand the more money you put in the more power you will get. But I’m kinda in between stock and more power...since I’m rebuilding already...I’d like to go at least a little more power without spending thousands of dollars...I’ve got a guy that’s been working for Honda for 20 years and says a rebuild would be a piece of cake...I’m just thinking now...is that since I’m rebuilding, should I rebuild stock? Or what should I upgrade to?? I guess that’s all I’m asking is what do you guys think I should do??? Thanks

·
Administrator
3,962 Posts
You're still not giving us information to assist., and this seems to be going nowhere. You need to figure out what you want before anyone can be suggestions. You need to do what you want, based upon what your goals are. "Nobody can suggest anything with your reply of "a little more power".

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.