Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys ive been experiencing this problem recently, when i step on the gas pedal the engine when it wants, just lags(cuts power or suttin) and kicks in after i let looose lightly or totally let go of the throttle its weird. Doesn't do it when i'm idling only when i'm moving. It hella sucks especially when i'm entering up to another freeway or entering a street from the freeway, it just lags and all these cars (89corolla) are just on my ass.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
My friend is going to have his teachers at Seqouia(dont know if i spelled it correctly) check it out, but my friend says it seems like something is blocking fuel from entering,... we just need more answers to find the actual places of where the prob can be found and fix it

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Have you detailed your engine lately?

once i had the same problem cuz moisture got in the distributor. Went away on its own in a couple days - water just evaporated.

Well, that's one suggestion.

I suppose anything involving lots of water near your engine bay should be considered too.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I haven't detailed the engine nor had any water spill into the bay area(get it), but i do know that In the morning the car doesn't have this problem for some reason i wouldn't know... anything else? BTW thanks for reply Speechless.

·
Super Moderator
25,239 Posts
Fuel injectors could be the problem. My gf is having the same problem right now with her car, and that is what it ended up being. Could even be the fuel filter.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ive tried the fuel injector cleaner(gumout) twice and still hasn't worked, but thanks for the reply NUtcase, anything else?

·
Registered
8,532 Posts
Try adjusting yoru throttle cable like toda said,

When was the last time you replaced distibutor rotor, cap, plugs, wires, o2 sensors, fuel filter?

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I shift @2.7-3.5k...

I haven't tried adjusting the throttle but i will read the manual if i can do it myself and tell you guys...

As for changing the parts styleteg mentioned i haven't since i had the car (its been 15k miles since i bought the car)...

thnks for replies guys... gonna read manual for adjusting throttle cable...

·
Super Moderator
25,239 Posts
nightegra on 31/May/2002 said:
I shift @2.7-3.5k...
Isn't that a little low? I don't know about GS, LS, or RS, but in my GSR I shift around 4000 RPM's if I'm not trying to showoff or race. But back to the subject, shifting at 2.7 or even 3K is really low in my opinion, but then again, the redline on those cars is lower than mine so it might be about right, I dunno.

·
Registered
7,384 Posts
What about the air filter? The engine can't go if it's breathing through a dirt incrusted sock!
. I'd say it's either a fuel or air dilevery problem.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Tried TB cleaner, worked for a while but then went back to normal(lagging) problem. But Hey, the reponse is better...

I've been on stock air cleaner for a weak, will change to short ram and reset ecu(but will check for engine code if any before i reset) after today to see if it will work...

As for the throttle cable adjusting,just arrived and will work on that now...

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well here's the situation i have fallen to:
My friend said most of his teachers are saying that the problem most likely is the Throttle Position Sensor(TPS), called Acura and asked about the sensor and they said if it is defective, then I'm gonna have to (guess what) buy a whole new Throttle Body(g-lord). I called different dealers and they were asking $590-690 for the throttle body. I was thinking, if it all goes down to buying a new TB what do you guys think Aftermarket/Stock TB, will i stay street legal if i go aftermarket? What sucks is that i don't even see any TEGS in any Junkyards over here, YOu guys know of any?
My friend and I are going to do the TPS Electronic test to see if it is defective. Tell you guys how it goes...

·
Registered
110 Posts
Yo if it's a TPS sensor I will make sure but I'm not exactlly sure you have to buy a new TB!!! But also I don't know how a loose throttle cable would hurt your performance because if you pushed hard even a loose cable would eventually pull the butterfly open. and it definatelly wouldn't make it bog unless you gunned it at like 1k rpm. Try a tune up. when I first got my car it would be going fine but when I would push the gas a little it would hesitate for a second then go (sometimes even backfire, it was embarassing) but a basic tune up consists of Spark plugs, wires, dist. cap and rotor. While all together can cost you under $50 if you buy NGK wires. Or if you go REALLY cheap and just want to see it it's your wires you can buy Borg & Wagner plug wires for like $19, but they re like 7mm so, I wouldn't leave them there for long... But I only had to replace my plugs & wires and that solved my prob immediatelly. It sounds like either Spark or fuel. And I changed my fuel filter, put my DC Sports DAC intake on, even chaged the screen on the fuel pump itself, and none of that worked but one guy told me to do what I'm telling you and, finally I did it and it solved the prob. I would just do that (the tune up) and if it's not that then your car probablly needs it anyway and it's not money wasted. So try that because if when you put a load on the car that's when it's hesitating, that could be caused by only having a little bit of spark, and at low rpm's or cruising it's fine but when you try to hit it, or just gas it the spark isn't enough. But also check the fuel filter, it's only like $20 max and again if it's not the problem, it can only help. But I'll repost when I find out about your TPS. Hope this helped.

Later,

Sean C.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I know this is far off but what Octane Gas do you use?? Some prelude drivers had a bit of a lag problem as well, and a lot of us had been using Sunoco (In ontario) Ultra 94 gas. Then they switched to 92, reset the ecu and the lag went away. We don't know of any technical reason for this, but ppl. suspect its because that lag is a result of your car adjusting to the higher octane?

Just an idea. =)

Oh yeah, hope you guys don't mind a lude owner here!

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well this is what i did today, took off stock intake, installed noname intake and did the ECU reset procedure. But before i swapped the intakes i checked the ecu for codes, following the tite a$$ articles on this site, no codes to be found. Well gained power and still lags but picks speed faster which causes the lag to lag but not as bad as it lagged before but it's still the same!?!

As for the new TB for a bad TPS, I actually called a few Acura Dealers and they all told me the same thing about replacing the TPS= replacing TB. As for the rest of the post you posted 20lb.teg, i don't know why i didn't see that before

---------------------------------------------------------when you put a load on the car that's when it's hesitating, that could be caused by only having a little bit of spark, and at low rpm's or cruising it's fine but when you try to hit it, or just gas it the spark isn't enough.
---------------------------------------------------------

Sounds like a good idea, and one i know i have to finish. I had started the Procedure its just that i didn't finish it (stupid meeh)... About the fuel filter, what is the size/part#/brand will fit 94rs sedan?

Okay check this... I was using the 92 octane for about 2-3 months but switched back to the normal 89octane cause the 92 octane just couldn't fit my monthly budget of Carpayments/insurance/maintenance(oilchange/oilfilterchange/washingcar)...
I have to change oil/filter(after3000mi) once a month because of commute to deanza and back because i have to be a full time student,12 units, (putting hella miles my baby i know[sigh])... My friend said it was okay to switch from 89-92 and back to 89 so that's what i did. Okay i'll quit my whining...

As for adjusting throttle cable i am still wondering why it was suggested for me to do, just like 20lb. teg, can you guys explain why/how this would happen?

Still waiting for the multimeter to come back, to test TPS. I wish i had more hours in a day but i'll shut up now.

Thanks for the replies guys, keep them coming if ya like

·
Registered
8,532 Posts
If the throttle cable is too lose, it won't open the butterfly valve open all the way. You could be running at %80 throttle even with your foot to the floor.

·
Registered
374 Posts
It could be the timing belt. Depends how many miles you have, mine started doing that around 88-89k, its supposed to be replaced at 90k, it's almost a stuttering untill like, 3k rpms and then it kicks in. Just a thought.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts