Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I have a b18b1 in my teggy. My teg recently cut off. Now smoke was coming directly from underneath were the timing belt would be and that is it. It was not a lot of smoke. But more like a cigarette slow exhale thick vapor? Anyways, the car was having trouble cycling coolant to the engine causing it to overheat prior to the engine cutting off on me. (I was going about 30 maybe 40mph at the time)

Now, my friend who used to own a teggy and myself think it was the water pump that went. And caused the timing belt to break.

For confirmation purposes, is this most likely the case? If so, how bad could the damages be provided that you take onto account the speed I was going when it cut off?

·
Premium Member
2,749 Posts
Pull the valve cover and the lower cover and see what happened with the timing belt. These are "non-interference" motors meaning if the timing belt broke, pistons made contact with the valves, which is not good.
You mean interference motors, right? I wish these were non-interference motors lol

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ty very much. Would
Pull the valve cover and the lower cover and see what happened with the timing belt. These are "non-interference" motors meaning if the timing belt broke, pistons made contact with the valves, which is not good.
Would the engine need to be rebuilt if this happened to be the case of total damage? I don't want to give up on her. I have rims waiting at home for her return.

·
Administrator
4,220 Posts
Ty very much. Would

Would the engine need to be rebuilt if this happened to be the case of total damage? I don't want to give up on her. I have rims waiting at home for her return.
If the timing belt broke while the engine was running, then the cylinder head would need pulled for inspection of carnage in the cylinders. The valves in the head would need replaced at a minimum. If more damage is visible, (combustion chamber damaged, cylinder walls scored, damage to pistons) then replacing the engine with a used one would be a more cost effective solution.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts