Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 95 Integra 4 door with 135K miles is a pleaure to drive, however, because of its age, major components (starter, distributor) fail from time to time. If I can get ahead of the problem by identifying parts that are near end of life, this would save time, money and stress.

Is there a list for Integra engine parts life expectancy (as a function of years \ miles) out there? If not maybe the community could provide feedback as to when their original engine part failed (i.e. alternator, starter, etc.).

Or maybe I should ask, what engine parts should I be testing \ watching given that the car is 1995 with 135K miles?
Thank you!

BTW, it would be nice if the default setting for Notification type = instant, for the thread starter.

·
Registered
5,003 Posts
You want a real answer to your questions? Here it is.
There isn't anyway to predict when a part will fail,its all up to the condition in witch you maintain and drive the car,but even then parts can still fail.
My advise to you would be to buy everything and anything you feel you need to replace,if you're going to freakout about it,or,simply follow the great words of the tuner world and don't fix if not broken.

·
Registered
10,393 Posts
Actually, not that many things fail... started just replace when it die, distributor, you just need to replace the rotor & cap based on the maintenance schedule... spark plugs, just replace based on the wear, spark plug wires, every 100k? timing belt, water pump, oil pump, every 100k? coolant flush every 4-5 years... fuel pump just replace when it die...

I mean as long as you do the regular maintenance stuff, the engine will last forever.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
@codenamezero: thank you. This is the type of intel I was looking for.

@everyone: let's keep the info flowing. This is good stuf..

I have had this car since 2007 and I have had the starter and the distributor fail, which left me stranded on the road. AAA is a lifesaver and necessary for a car this old. My goal is to learn from the community what I can to prevent a similar repeat, but with a different part (alternator, fuel, water pumps etc.)

I have no experience with this class of motors, so when I am told to replace stuff when I 'feel' it is time, I don't have any 'feelings', because I don't have experience maintaining this class of engines. This is the reason why I am posting a request for the experience from the knowledgeable community. If this was an F16 engine, then this would be a different story: I have a good 'feel' for what should be replaced and when. My experience says that parts have a life limit, whether it is measured in years or miles: especially with moving parts like pumps.

Any 'low hanging fruit' (parts that are inexpensive, under $150 and easy to replace) are good candidates for preventative maintenance given the age and mileage of the engine. Any LHF suggestions are appreciated.

Again, I appreciate any actionable suggestions and any easy tests that can be performed to identify preventative maintenace \ parts replacement.

·
Registered
5,003 Posts
Well,i can add that the coil can/will blowout if you slack to long on a tuneup. Having bad plugs,wire,rotor and cap can/will overheat the coil to where it will finely give out.

Vacuum and coolant hoses should also be changed every 4/5 tuneups as well,or less depending on who much you drive the car.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
when it comes to ignition parts, you should use ONLY OEM PARTS. There is no reason why an oem dizzy should not last for many years without replacing. A good ground system is crucial for the longevity of the distributor. Never really hear about starter issues on integras.

another reason why dizzys fail is because people crank the motor with the dizzy plugged without grounding the coil...

·
Registered
5,003 Posts
another reason why dizzys fail is because people crank the motor with the dizzy plugged without grounding the coil...
Correct^^ When replacing the cap and rotor,always i good idea to unhook the battery and turn the engine by hand. It is also a good idea to put something on that don't create static.

·
The Enforcer!
5,802 Posts
when it comes to ignition parts, you should use ONLY OEM PARTS. There is no reason why an oem dizzy should not last for many years without replacing. A good ground system is crucial for the longevity of the distributor. Never really hear about starter issues on integras.

my started went out years ago. when it happen i just got an oreilys starter. grant it went out about 2-4 years later but it has a lifetime warranty. but oem is just badass depending on what it is

·
The Enforcer!
5,802 Posts
Correct^^ When replacing the cap and rotor,always i good idea to unhook the battery and turn the engine by hand. It is also a good idea to put something on that don't create static.

geez im starting to think im the only one that removes the dizzy from the head to do the cap and rotor

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
geez im starting to think im the only one that removes the dizzy from the head to do the cap and rotor
yeah thats a little to excessive....just disconnect battery and turn the motor over by the crankshaft pulley. jack up the front left of car, take off wheel and use a 19mm ratchet with extension and turn it counter clock wise until you see rotor screw..

my started went out years ago. when it happen i just got an oreilys starter. grant it went out about 2-4 years later but it has a lifetime warranty. but oem is just badass depending on what it is
oem starter should last very long...if they fail, its the contact points that fail which you can fix with a few bucks....so no need to replace entire starter. my starter is great still with 11years/120k miles usage

·
Banned
1,096 Posts
Hmm, You should get yourself a factory service manual since the 'recommended' change time is in there.

Also, what 'waiting until it breaks' doesn't really apply for everything (ex timing belts).

Usually, I wait until I see symptoms before I go ahead and change something. As for a starter, you can just take it apart and clean the contacts for free. I did this on my girlfriends integra and it starts up every time.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Low Hanging Fruit

I am hoping that preventative maintenance will enable me to avoid getting stuck on the side of the road and forced to pay big bucks for repairs (they've got ya unless you have another vehicle).

I was looking in my copy of the service manual and thinking that due to low part cost and ease of installment, the waterpump, fuelpump, and alternator may be good candidates for preventive replacement (waterpump, fuelpump) or preventive maintenance (alternator). Are there any other major parts I should consider?

I neglected to mention that I changed the clutch slave cylinder 2 years ago. I had a 240SX and had to replace the clutch slave cylinder at year 14. If I ever own another manual, I am going to replace the clutch slave cylinder at year 12 \ 120K miles. The Integra's age (15 years) and mileage (135K) is driving this effort.

Any suggestions \ good practices for maintaining \ replacing the parts listed above?

·
The Enforcer!
5,802 Posts
yeah thats a little to excessive....just disconnect battery and turn the motor over by the crankshaft pulley. jack up the front left of car, take off wheel and use a 19mm ratchet with extension and turn it counter clock wise until you see rotor screw..
ya that may work
but now my ignition from my dizzy isnt shot...i just tried doing my cap and rotor (which i have done before) and i believe i just fired my ignition. did the volt check and i remember see a white puff a smoke from teh distributor. damn what a way to spend the weekend. now i have to wait for the dealership to open on monday and then wait a few days after that to get the part because they wont have it in stock

·
Registered
496 Posts
there is no life expectancy for "under the hood components" as far as im concerned engine components include just the engine as in head and block. as far as life expectancy for under the hood components, just follow the routine maintenance schedule and you should be fine. maintaining a car is not like an aircraft engine, as long as your engine is properly lubricated and cooled there is no reason it shouldn't last for half a million miles or more. hope that answers your questions

·
Banned
1,096 Posts
haha do a valve lash adjustment! I just spent about 450$ in machine work to replace a blown exhaust valve, not to mention new seals, gaskets etc etc etc!

Pop the valve cover, buy a feeler gauge for 20$ and get to work! you can easily add another 100k onto your cylinder head.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My 95 Integra 4 door with 135K miles is a pleaure to drive, however, because of its age, major components (starter, distributor) fail from time to time. If I can get ahead of the problem by identifying parts that are near end of life, this would save time, money and stress.

Is there a list for Integra engine parts life expectancy (as a function of years \ miles) out there? If not maybe the community could provide feedback as to when their original engine part failed (i.e. alternator, starter, etc.).

Or maybe I should ask, what engine parts should I be testing \ watching given that the car is 1995 with 135K miles?
Thank you!

BTW, it would be nice if the default setting for Notification type = instant, for the thread starter.
My integra is at 352,809 and still running strong

1 - 17 of 17 Posts