Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 90 4dr auto LS and it's pretty high milage. 198k, to tell the truth. I'm planning to rebuild with SiRII pistons with 10.4:1 compression and all new bearings, rings and seals. Any tips, tricks, or news I should know about before attempting.(Anyone that can speak from experience?) I basically want the poor thing to have a bit more pep.
Also, I had to replace the tranny when I bought it, and I did a junkyard tranny, which works fine, but it's showing signs of what the first tranny was doing. Here's what that was: When cold, it wouldn't shift past 2nd gear until it was good n' warm. The newer one just hesitates some on getting into 3rd when it's cold. So, pretty similar on what's happening here. Here's the question. Is a rebuild with new clutches and plates going to help/fix this problem, or is it something simpler...perhaps the shifting solenoids? I am under some pretty heavy budget stress, so the I need to hit the problem on the head the first time. Other than the cold shifting troubles, both trannies seem to shift great. I will say that the first tranny would have a gear change hesitation if you were only slightly on the throttle. Any full throttle shift is good and solid, but it just seemed to hang in 2nd too long if I wasn't on it.

The goal, here, is to get the motor renewed some, and get this first tranny back in the car, but working correctly.

Thanks for any help in this!

·
Registered
9 Posts
dude!!!!!!!!!!!! my cars tranny does the exact same thing. pretty freakin aggrivating. before now i thought my car was the only one to do this. i usualy have to let it warm up for about 15-20 minutes.

·
Registered
55 Posts
i have a 93 ls auto tranny with 100k on it if ya want it, i am in ohio, and i have the obd-1 comp too if ya want to do the switch

·
Registered
238 Posts
screw the auto tranny, it would be a lot simpler to swap for 5 speed, it would cost alot more to rebuid the auto tranny.
get a tranny flush, that might help the gear switching.
i had that exact problem with my old teg, but then i got some big ass cams and the hesitation problem went away. Dontr ask me why it just went aways after my cam install.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Sometimes the problem happens cause your low on oil...my teg was doing the same thing for a couple of days. I checked the tranny fluid and it was fine but when i check the engine oil i saw that i was very low. After adding some Castrol GTX the problem went away. Try it might be the answer to your problem. I own g2 with 170k.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, about the 5spd thing...I got bought the car for a daily and wanted an auto. When I bought it I knew it needed a tranny, and so I installed the 2nd one. As for the expense of the rebuild...I'll be doing it myself. The tranny is full of fluid, as I installed it myself and put new fluid in at the time. It's got this problem whether the engine is low on oil or not. That doesn't seem to matter. The first tranny would only shift after driving it for like, 30-45 minutes. And the second one has only hesitated on me like, 3-4 times, and only when it's cold out. After about 5 shifts into 3rd it goes away and acts completely normal. Funny part is, the second trany has 215,000 miles and the first one only had 191,000 miles on it. The car now has 198,000, and the distributor has gone out 3 times now, all for different reasons. So, I'm currently waiting patiently so that I can get it running again. That's when I plan on tackling the tranny issue further.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The last honda tranny cut-away I saw had cluthces in the top portion of the tranny. They were used to control the shift speed. That is, unless it wasn't a honda tranny I was looking at. It did have all the rest of the "manual tranny" gearing under it, so I am assuming the book was correct.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts