Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

With the advent of EVs and PHEVs, I was just wondering what are your thoughts on converting a integra to run off electricity/solar panels in a home.
My idea is to put a battery pack in the boot of a DC2/DC4 and use the electricity from the battery to power an HHO generator so that the engine can run off hydrogen on demand.
Yes I know, HHO generator kits are regarded as "snake oil", but!, using this method allows the car to run off electric power since the battery can be "plugged in" for recharging like a PHEV so that electricity (or solar panels on a home) could be used to power the car. Regenerative braking from hybrid technology could also be implemented. One good thing about HHO is that it also produces pure oxygen gas which could be used in a similar fashion like Nitrous oxide.

Here are some studies done on hydrogen combustion efficiency compared to gasoline:
(unable to post link on first post but you can google the title - Effect of hydroxy (HHO) gas addition on gasoline engine performance and emissions)
"The results also showed 10% increment in the gasoline engine thermal efficiency (ie. improved power kw per unit of heat), 34% reduction in fuel consumption, 18% reduction in CO"

The attached research paper also shows improved BTE for hydrogen over gasoline combustion

thoughts?

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Hi all,

With the advent of EVs and PHEVs, I was just wondering what are your thoughts on converting a integra to run off electricity/solar panels in a home.
My idea is to put a battery pack in the boot of a DC2/DC4 and use the electricity from the battery to power an HHO generator so that the engine can run off hydrogen on demand.
Yes I know, HHO generator kits are regarded as "snake oil", but!, using this method allows the car to run off electric power since the battery can be "plugged in" for recharging like a PHEV so that electricity (or solar panels on a home) could be used to power the car. Regenerative braking from hybrid technology could also be implemented. One good thing about HHO is that it also produces pure oxygen gas which could be used in a similar fashion like Nitrous oxide.

Here are some studies done on hydrogen combustion efficiency compared to gasoline:
(unable to post link on first post but you can google the title - Effect of hydroxy (HHO) gas addition on gasoline engine performance and emissions)
"The results also showed 10% increment in the gasoline engine thermal efficiency (ie. improved power kw per unit of heat), 34% reduction in fuel consumption, 18% reduction in CO"

The attached research paper also shows improved BTE for hydrogen over gasoline combustion

thoughts?
apparently there is already a company in the US that has done this to retrofit a truck and made it work on electric

https://www.vox.com/energy-and-envir...hytech-storage

quote:

"Efficient electrolysis plus efficient hydride storage means that Hy-Tech’s retrofit will produce a zero-emissions vehicle (ZEV) with an average of 300 miles range, comparable to high-end electric vehicles but able to work in any existing vehicle. When I toured HyTech’s Redmond facility, Johnson drove me to lunch in a giant Ford Raptor pickup truck running on hydrogen."

thoughts?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I think for it to be converted to run purely on electricity or hydrogen alone, yes, would take a lot of work.

But what I'm trying to achieve is to simply implement HHO as a performance booster(and fuel saver) in the same way as Nitrous (because the extra O in HHO would react with nitrogen from the air intake - or from a thin tube redirecting Nox from exhaust into intake ie PCV valve - to produce Nitrous oxide which could then be broken down during combustion to achieve the performance boost). The breakdown of N2O is exothermic whilst Nitrogen dioxide increases combustion rate and this is how the efficiency and performance gains are achieved. Due to the complexity of different engine management systems, the fuel saving effects are not noticable at first because the ECU takes time to learn and adjust to the new fuel mixture, and this is the main reason HHO systems are labeled as "snake oil products" and will generally fail to achieve the claimed results in the various testing that have been done. What people fail to realise though, is that the claimed results are not actually due to Hydrogen alone but partially due to the pure Oxygen gas that is produced as a byproduct of the electrolysis, which when used in an engine with a PCV valve could redirect the extra Nitrous in the exhaust gases back into the combustion chambers. (TLDR: Basically, the extra O in HHO is pure oxygen which when combined with a PCV valve could achieve a Nitrous effect due to the 70% Nitrogen in the atmosphere whilst the H gas reacts with NOx to reduce emissions to produce H2O and nitrogen gas. Of course, the Hydrogen gas also burns with oxygen in the air in the same way as gasoline, but it's not just the Hydrogen that plays a role but also the byproduct oxygen that boosts performance.)

I'm hoping it would be as simple as installing one of those kits that are readily available and running it off a rechargeable lithium battery.

·
Registered
90 Posts
It is possible to run off of only HHO, but I know of no one in the US that has done it. I’ve seen it done with small engines. Even if you run supplemental HHO, I recommend installing wide band O2 sensors. The ECU may read extra oxygen so then it will add more fuel; exactly what you don’t want. Therefore any efficient HHO system will have to run a lean fuel map. And a switch back to stock if the HHO water tank ran out or HHO system failure. This means the vehicle would need a programmable ECU (p78?).

Running lean at highway speeds (without HHO) maybe your best bet. LegitStreetCars on YouTube has gotten 38.5 mpg highway with a C5 Corvette. You would probably need aid of experienced tuners and if you stay with a Honda powertain, Vtech.

There are Civics that have been made into hybrids so using that system may save you much time & effort (although you may not like the smaller engine size). The company called Viva Motors may have options too. They have a unique hybrid system that the engine is only used to connect to the generator not to the drive train. It works like an EV but can recharge with a gas motor. I know Viva has a new hybrid truck & SUV, but I’m not sure about smaller vehicles.
If you do all electric then you’ll probably have to omit the entire back seat (of a two door) to have room for the batteries otherwise you may have a full trunk.

Also it is worth mentioning that an HHO system is the beginning of the systems than Stanley (or just “Stan”) Meyers made. Through electronics, frequencies, harmonic resonance, cavitation, electricity and lasers he turned water into non-polluting fuel. He had a VW Beetle powered dune buggy running on restructured water. It’s worth looking into.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts