Team Integra Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a question concerning the ELD. I have a 98 gsr, and I'm throwing a code 20 along with a secondary o2 sensor heater code, and I threw the VSS code once, and it went away. My alternator fuse keeps blowing (now, it won't even hold for a second, just blows), and my alternator stopped charging. (I had to drive home at night without headlights, and every time my hazards blinked the engine bogged.) I just had a new engine put in, and it runs fine (throws codes 73 and 74 intermittently, I don't know why.) Also, when this eld/alternator/whatever-it-is problem started, my car threw code 20, code 65, 73, and 74 at the same time. Speedo doesn't work, and vtec doesn't work. I was wondering if you could tell me what my problem may be. I was told get a new alternator by my mom's boyfriend... he said the diodes in the alternator could be bad or something like that. Also, is the ELD an actual part that could be replaced? Thanks. Any help would be appreciated. one more thing is that the radio would cut off if I turned it up too loud after it threw all those codes. I tried clearing them, and they came back. only aftermarket stuff I have is foglights (now unhooked) and some subs (now unhooked), and a vtec light. it was still blowing the fuse after I unhooked all that stuff. Sorry for the long message, but I'm at a loss as to what to do, as I know practically nothing about electrical systems. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
the eld is located in the underhood fusebox. You have to replace the fusebox/eld as one unit since its built into the bottom of it.

The alternator blowing the fuse is probablly cause by a short somewhere.

We need a little more info on the swap like who did it the year of the chasis the year of the new motor, harness and ecu used, if a jumper is used etc. Electrical issues are usually something fairly simple to fix if you can track down the caue. Tracking the cause is the hard part.

I'm seeing you are throwing the came codes just intermittently. 73 and 74 random misfires, 20 eld, 65 secondary o2. Check the connections on the o2 sensor and alternator. Check the fusebox conections. For the random misfires check the ignition components. All the info for testing these components is broken down step by step in the helm, if you dont have it get it.

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Showzone did it. It was an OBDI motor converted to obdII. The harness in the car was re-used. It was just a replacement GSR longblock. The motor came out of a 95 originally (I think), and my chassis is a '98. They evidently used all my accessories. This is pretty much all I have on it. I also had my exhaust welded, and I don't think the guy disconnected the battery. Think the car might've been running, too. Any ideas?

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
tried to track down the problem last night... no luck. will the alternator being bad cause the fuse to blow?

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
souldnt cause the fuse to blow, a short usually causes the fuse to blow. You can take the alternator out and take it to a local auto parts store and they will test it for you and then you can eliminate that much of the problem.

It really sounds like a short.

Maybe they are related but it soulds lie the alterantor and the eld are related. The fuse blowing and the eld cel.

The ignition stuff is probablly not related to the alt or eld.

The secondary o2 problem is more than likley also not related to the eld or ignition problems. It was probablly damaged during the swap or the welding of the exhaust or its not connected. I would suggest checking the conneciton if that diesnt fix it replace the o2 sensor.

I'm not familiar with showtime is it a reputable shop or a hole in the wall. How long did you drive it with no issues?

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
kind of a hole in the wall... I don't trust them and my car won't go back; I only drove it about a week. as for the secondary o2 sensor heater/vss stuff, and all that, those codes get thrown because all of that is connected to that fuse, or at least as far as I know. Showzone claims that the electrical problems aren't their fault and they want to charge me to fix them.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Any luck getting this fixed? My VSS died and I'm blowing a fuse now too after no changes were made to my car. I replaced the VSS and that got my speedo running agian but I'm still blowing the alternator fuse...

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
sorry it took me so long to get back on here... yes, the problem was fixed... My secondary o2 sensor wires were wrapped around the outlet of the cat... The insulation melted and they shorted out. Evidently, the VSS, alternator, and secondary 02 sensor all run on the same circuit, so if one shorts out, it'll blow the fuse and the others won't work, either... it's a PITA to trace it out, but look everywhere on that circuit, trace out the wires, and see if you can find a short... first place I'd check would be the secondary o2 sensor wires.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've been having the same problem. I Have a 2000 GSR that i jus pulled the motor on and i'm putting it back in right about to start it and the SP/ALT fuse keeps blowing. I asume its a short some where. I had the ALT tested and its fine. the owner before me hacked the harness to bits tryin to add a S200 datalogger. It idled with that harness before i pulled the motor but now wont even start. any advice would help

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.