Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have read that there is a considerable power difference in removing the power steering belt. If anyone has experimented with this, could you tell me how difficult the steering becomes. Is it a noticable difference in power? Is it similar to the CRX steering, etc? Any info would be greatly apprciated

·
Registered
880 Posts
Steering is very hard. You will have to actually put more effort into turning the wheel. I wouldnt recommend doing this! Just my .69 cents =P

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I figured that would be my answer. Thanks for the info. you guys saved me the time of having to figure it out for myself. I greatly appreciate it.

·
Registered
3,205 Posts
I was just reading a thread on another site about this very topic, seemed to arrive at a different conclusion. Some even mentioned they had better control at high speeds without the power steering? Don't know about the theory behind that. Just thought I'd show a different point of view. Click Here I don't know if this will work, if not just go to Hondavision.com and look in the fourms under Integra. The thread is titled "Free Free Free'
I was thinking about taking it off just to see how I like it, I don't think it is too hard so I can just put it back on if it isn't worth it.

·
Registered
198 Posts
the power difference isn't very big maybe a couple hp but its not very hard to drive without power steering you just need like a week to get used to it; i actually think its much better to drive without power steering i feel like i have more control except for on a really bumpy road

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
the point of removing the powersteering is to get a more positive feel of the road,good for racing,maybe not good for driving to the movies, depends on how bad you wanna have fun driving,its not too extreme to turn the wheel if you got at least half a muscle.

·
Registered
5,854 Posts
I usually take off my p/s belt when I go to the strips. I can testify that it will become much more difficult to turn when at speeds less than 10mph. Definitely give them tricepts a work out.
However, once your in motion it is not difficult at all.

·
Registered
2,918 Posts
I just recently put my P/S belt back on after having it off for about 2 months. Now the steering feels very light. As others have stated, I too felt more in control because there was more steering feedback with the belt off. U-turns in a narrow street were a *****, though.

It did make me stronger, because when I drove my dad's Camry, I could literally steer that thing with one finger.

·
Registered
21,513 Posts
I stripped the entire power-steering equipment system out of my car. I thoroughly enjoy the positive feedback the wheel gives.

Just removing the belt makes the car very difficult to steer because you continue to force fluid through the non-moving pump. When you remove all of the equipment and loop the steering rack back on itself, steering at sub 10mph speeds is not as hard. Parallel parking may still be a *****, but its do-able.

All in all, I like it when a pothole fights the wheel back in the opposite direction you are turning. You can feel the road with a whole different perspective. Its like you are driving a huge go-kart.

*EDIT*
If you want to try your car without the power-steering belt, it takes literally 2 minutes to do. Loosen the slide bolts, unscrew the wingnut tensioner and pop off the belt.

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
Why not try to find a way to make it electic PS like the S2000, NSX, Focus, ect

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
hey yall, i would like to comment on this, I have a Toyota Tacoma that did not come with Power steering let me just tell you how this thing handles, I obviously love to drive my Ack, but handling wise I have full faith that I could never loose control in my Toy verses my Ack ... I say try it and see what happens you might prefer it that way !!!!!

·
Registered
5,854 Posts
ciscoandmichele on Dec/17/03 said:
hey yall, i would like to comment on this, I have a Toyota Tacoma that did not come with Power steering let me just tell you how this thing handles, I obviously love to drive my Ack, but handling wise I have full faith that I could never loose control in my Toy verses my Ack ... I say try it and see what happens you might prefer it that way !!!!!
Wow, you're the first female that I have ever heard saying that they like no p/s.

You stud.

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
you could easily switch our cars over to an electric p/s pump.

the rack doesn't know the difference between a mechanical pump versus an electric pump. you wouldn't have a fully EPS system, like nsx and s2k, but you'd have what all the other manufacturers do for "electric power steering"

the problems lie in the fact that there aren't many aftermarket p/s pumps. and the reliability of electric pumps, wear-and-tear thereof, possible leaking, etc.

also the fact that you're not losing any weight, as that's the bigger concern with losing p/s, since the actual power drain isn't anything a non-track-only car should care about.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Unless you are a NASCAR driver leave the power steering in. Removing P/S gives about as much power as adding a 6" exhaust tip.

1 - 20 of 91 Posts