Team Integra Forums banner
21 - 30 of 30 Posts

· Registered
273 Posts
Man, i dont think a turbo should make a difference with your MPG, WOT or not. Say if your going a mile, its going to take you less combustions with a turbo engine, because there's going to be more air and fuel in each combustion. But i dont think your going to pick up any MPG if you went with an n/a car; Going the mile, your going to have to go through the combustion cycle more, but at less of a fuel and air cost. These two extremes should equal eachother out, am I not right? With a supercharger, i can see it making a difference because the engine has to turn the SC with its own power, but the turbo doesnt drain any of the engines power.

If you sprint a mile or walk a mile, isnt it going to take the same amount of energy??

· Registered
20,491 Posts
hettseypoo455 on Dec/14/02 said:
If you sprint a mile or walk a mile, isnt it going to take the same amount of energy??
No... Go sprint a mile and see how you feel. Then walk one and see how much better you feel. Keep in mind that gas burning in an engine is not the same efficiency through the whole rpm / mph range. If you floor it, you are not getting nearly as an efficient burn as if you ease into it. So sprinting a mile takes much more energy.

· Registered
273 Posts
Ah, i should have used "work" instead of energy. It takes the same amount of work to walk a mile as it does to sprint a mile. You're more tired after you sprint a mile because you did the work faster.

Turbo or not, you arnt going to get as good of a burn at higher rpm's.

If you make 1 big explosion, or 1,000 little ones,(both using the same amount of fuel) shouldn't the force produced by each equal eachother?

· Registered
545 Posts
IntegraBad18c on Dec/14/02 said:
Dwolsten, you mean burn efficiency, not MPG. A b18 burns air/fuel mix more efficiently than a Chevy 350.
Nope, I mean MPG. Do people with turbos never drive anywhere besides their locality? If I'm taking a long trip, I don't want crappy mileage just because I can accelerate fast from a stoplight. If all-out acceleration is your only goal, and MPG is not a concern, then you need to forget about turbos and just get a big-block V8 (and turbo that if you want even more speed).

Some people actually want a car that's good for things besides drag races.

· Registered
2,072 Posts
more air requires more gas. hmm. if i need more gas then i must be useing more gas.
plus i saw a thread like this a while ago and the turbo guys were saying that they noticed a decrease in gas milage. old thread

21 - 30 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.