Team Integra Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Geez, maybe someone can give me some advice. maybe i'm just cheap and would much rather learn it all myself but my check engine light came on, i checked the code and it came up evaporation emissions system insufficiant. now i figure that has to do with my exhaust one way or another. i checked my header, looked under the car for cracks or anything of that nature but didn't seem to find anything. i am in the military and had one of my mechanics(5 ton truck mech. though...) give me some advice and any ideas before i dish out money i don't have to. he said it could be the cat. converter that's going bad or the sensor inside, but he gave me the stupid idea of running it real quick (like 100 mph) for about 10 mins and then stopping somewhere to see if the cat. converter is red hot. if it is, then i know one or the other. this seems really stupid to me and i just know if i do that i'll blow a head gasket or something...i would much rather fix the prob. then spend more money on the car for stuff i want, not create more probs. has anyone got experiance on this code? appreciate any help i can get.

·
Registered
78 Posts
the evaporative emissions system keeps liquid fuel from evaporating into the atmosphere. it consists of a charcoal caniser which stores the vapors temporarily, and a purge control solenoid.

When the ECU determines the time is right, the purge control solonoid opens and the fuel is let into the intake manifold and burned.

this code probably means your solenoid is bad, which is a $150 part from acura. this can be caused by charcoal coming up from the canister and interfering with the solenoid.

what year teg do you have? 96 and 97s have an extended warranty to 150k miles on the emissions system.

when i got code 92, the dealer replaced my canister and solenoid for free.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
heck yeah. my integra is a 96, with 117k miles. so i should just take it to the acura dealership and everything should be good? um also, is this gonna hurt my engine if i don't take it in for like a week or something? i don't know much about this particular part of the engine.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts