Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
8,678 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
time for me to get new tires. im just wondering if anyone has had both of these tires and what you think about each.

they will be used mainly for track events and autox so my primary concern is dry grip. tire life is not such a big deal becuse no matter what i do they wont last.

any first hand expeirence/complaints/praise for either would be greatly appriciated.

here are the specs that i have found on each:

Kumho Ecsta MX
Size 205/50/15
Max Inflation 51 psi
Tread Depth 9/32nds
Overall Diam.23.1"

Falken Azenis
Size 205/50/15
Max Inflation 51psi
Tread Depth 8/32nds
Overall DIam. 23.1"

if anyone has the treadwear ratings for eather tire that would be helpful i guess.

·
Registered
516 Posts
It is my understanding the MX sacrifices some grip (not much) but holds up to heat better...which gives it a longer life. A very serious auto-xing coworker is switching to mx from the for more tire life.

·
Registered
8,532 Posts
That makes sense kineticGSR.

It sounds like from the reports, and my experience as well, is that Azenis are a great autoX tire. They actually grip better when cold, and they have tons of grip.

In a situation like AutoX, you are not going to heat your tires up near the point of on a track. on the track by the end of the sessions I can feel the grip, especially in my front tires, start to go down.

If the MX can handle much more heat, then it sounds like they would be a better track tire than the Azenis.

·
Administrator
43,014 Posts
i'll speak up for the MX's

i bought my set last xmas, and 13 months of tough driving on them later (i am lowered 3" and we don't have the best roads down here), i still have PLENTY of tread left......

i'm sold

·
Super Moderator
25,239 Posts
I see 79 bucks on tire rack...they impress me if people think they are better than Azenis...the thing that worries me about Azenis are their wet traction...after reading the link that Ross provided, it seems the MX is a lot better when the roads are wet...

·
Administrator
43,014 Posts
96dc2 on Feb/06/04 said:
How many miles though Steve?
i drive so much i lose count... but i'll just say my current commute to work is 35 miles each direction, and i drive a lot outside of that as well

·
Registered
8,532 Posts
the thing that worries me about Azenis are their wet traction
Yeah, wet traction definetly isn't good with the azenis. When the roads are just wet, it really isn't a problem. Just don't drive like a nut and your fine.

But anytime there is heavy rain, they can hydroplane at freeway speeds. I try and avoid the freeway under heavy rain, simply for that reason. :(

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Driving on Falken Azenis in heavy rain all depends on the driver's insticts and maturity.

I live in Florida, when it rains, it will rain HEAVY. I have driven my car through the freeway, with standing puddles alot of times, and yes the car does tend to hydro plane over standing water.

However, I still feel safe with the Azenis under these certain conditions, because I take extreme caution under these circumstances. I would do the same even if I had a dedicated rain tire.

It is all about driving at a proper speed that your tires can handle, not following traffic in front of you too closely, and looking ahead at the traffic to see any potential dangers so that you have enough time to brake and won't hydro plane your car.

As far as tread wear, I've put about 10-12k miles on them [ no extreme racing or Auto-X-ing ] however, and they have some decent tread life left. I can't give a percentage from when it was new because I don't remember how much was on them brand new, but they are far from bald.

·
Registered
9,198 Posts
I was riding on the MX's in a friend of mine's ITR at BeaveRun...and he went off the track. The tires heated up and didn't grip soo well, similar to the Azenis. He now uses Azenis for the track.

MX's are good tires, but I don't know if I'd use them on the track so much. I prefer the Azenis sidewall.

·
Registered
8,678 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
tokinalcoholic on Feb/10/04 said:
are we forgetting about potenza 03's?

way to expensive.

120/tire vs 70/tire... hmmmmm

Quote: cheezthis on Feb/10/04 I was riding on the MX's in a friend of mine's ITR at BeaveRun...and he went off the track. The tires heated up and didn't grip soo well, similar to the Azenis.
so now its the tires fault huh =P.

if you want a fun tire to drive on try a parada spec 2 after they warm up.... haha they still dont grip for sh*t!

·
Registered
890 Posts
I'm going with the ecsta MX, new technology in the compound, and its made its name in both straits and turns, depending on what sizes. I was supposed to have a set on the other car, but I got screwed over, and I've driven on a set before I like them better then my Paradas, which is an almost perfect comparison to the Azenis, so I'd buy them over azenis, however I will say they dont' grip as well as the paradas did cold, but better after both were warmed up ona 20 mile drive.

·
Registered
337 Posts
thats what i'm rolln on and i love them. not the best tire i've had but they're great all around and are wearing better than any tire i've had that perform at the same time. better or not i cant say but i know you'll be happy!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts