Team Integra Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3,448 Posts
"If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is." That's certainly the case here.

·
Registered
6,228 Posts
i doubt a timing advance will give 20 hp unless youve got alot of other mods to go with it. I could be wrong tho, if i am please correct me.

·
Registered
3,856 Posts
I certainly wouldn't get a chip just to advance the ignition timing!! A lot more than ignition timing goes on a chip! How do you know that guy programmed this chip specificly for your car.

The whole idea is crap. Turn your back on it. Buy a nice CAI off Ebay instead. Or a dash trim kit. But not that!

·
Registered
31,217 Posts
who's flaming anyone? I said: only an uneducated gullible fool would buy one. If you already bought one and want re-assurance that you didn't waste your money, then you aren't going to get it from anyone who knows about ECU's.

If you already bought one, then that's another entirely different story.

I hate to say it but the whole point of TI is having info HERE already for you to become smarter about how and why you mod your car. We give you the info in the articles. There is an article on advancing timing and what it actually is (a lot of people know how to do it and hear about it but don't actually UNDERSTAND what it is and what you are doing when you advance spark timing.). There is an article here on ECU basics as well.

All it takes is for the members to read them and educate themselves instead of being an uneducated gullible fool and getting HYPED. This type of product on ebay preys and counts on people not understanding and being ignorant of how things work.

Ignorance is no excuse. Educating oneself just means you need to make the effort. We make it easier for you here to do that by giving you the info to read. Maybe you might want to take advantage of it? I don't know. I certainly didn't spend my spare time writing those articles for free for my own benefit.

So I wasn't flaming anyone, least of all you. You must have an incredibly thin skin or something and take everything personally. It was a general comment. So take it as such. thanks.

·
Registered
9,719 Posts
MD, I understand the timing delima. one thing that keeps me from doing it though is using the timing light? I don't know what I'm looking for and I don't know how to tell if I'm even at the correct setting?

Neouser set my timing for me since I didn't quite understand how to use the timing light to read my settings. Funny thing was he said it was one thing (18 degrees BTDC) and the smog technicians got a different reading (16 degress BTDC)? It was okay though since both the reading by neouser and the technician was off by 2 degrees only so I was good to pass smog.

·
Registered
9,719 Posts
Michael Delaney on Sep/18/02 said:
tell neo to get his prescription glasses when he does someone else's timing....

actually, who do you trust? the smog techs or neo?
That doesn't help me any more MD! It just questions my trust towards both of them now? I mean 2 degress is not that much of a big deal is it (16 and 18 degress BTDC)?

Some people may think so, but is it really? Stock does say 16 degrees BTDC +/- 2 so I'm assuming that as long as I'm in that range I'm okay.

·
Registered
31,217 Posts
yeah you're fine...I'm just teasing neo...

it gets critical though when you are looking to find the sweet spot to make the most power and squeezing out every last drop you can get...efficiency.

the sweet spot is the crank angle at which the con rod is at a perfect position to receive the combustion blow and turns the crank with the greatest force. Spark timing determines when that combustion blow will occur and the window is about 20 degrees and a difference of 2 degrees can come into play then.

·
Registered
9,719 Posts
Michael Delaney on Sep/18/02 said:
yeah you're fine...I'm just teasing neo...
Had me worried there for a second MD!

·
Registered
169 Posts
Those things are resistors

Throttlebody bypass
Map sensor
Timing advance
egr plate

All of these are scams. There are egr plates but a majority of ebey is the sheet metal ones.

·
Registered
51 Posts
its a little $1 resistor you put in the O2 sensor i believe, its a sensor right below the distributor. either or, it raises your rpm's like 2k cuz it "advances your timing" and its not good for the car. a friend of mine made the mistake of buying one for his teg.

·
Registered
3,620 Posts
unless the Craftsman gun is wrong, I shot Sak for 18 degrees of timing. The smog tech probably hooked it up wrong. (They don't get paid enough to give a sh*t.) I hook my timing gun up right before the plug boot at cylinder 1. That way, the gun blinks right about the time that the cylinder fires. Some idiots hook the gun up to the wire at the distributor and their reading will show a little bit of retard, since the gun blinks before the spark reaches the cylinder. I actually learned that when i first got the timing gun and I couldn't find the mark on the pulley. I moved the pickup from the distributor up to cylinder one and my timing showed precisely what Acura claimed they set it at...

·
Registered
3,620 Posts
Holy crap, I just realised that this was from a year ago. How did it make it to the top 12 on the "home" page?

·
Registered
4,804 Posts
it's all about the timing

Vrreeeeeee Pishhhhhhhhhh!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts