Team Integra Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i think my timing belt is gone, i was wondering if there were any "easy" ways to check to see if it was. I have heard that you can take off your dissy cap and see if the rotor spins, i have also heard that you can take out the first spark plug drop a straw into the cylinder then crank the car and if the straw is ejected from the cylinder then your belt is not broken. any thoughts/truths to these does any one know?

·
Premium Member
1996 LS Manual Hatchback
2,509 Posts
how bout you just buy a new belt and new pump while your at it and change it yourself if needed, if you find that it's not, atleast you have the parts stashed away for the next time you have to

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
00geezer00 on Oct/10/07 said:
I'm with spaz... just take your valve cover off and you can see the timing belt...

seriously, right? lol... i read it and was like, take off the valve cover... duh... lol

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
the issue with taking off the valve cover is my car is sitting in the parking lot of my girlfriends apartment i would like to be sure before i go tearing my car apart. The car is currently in Manhattan kansas, and i live about 150 miles away or so in vassar kansas. Thanks for the offer patrick i would take you up on that offer but i live about forty miles south of topeka so it would be one hell of a drive for you to come out to help, but thanks for the offer... so other than pulling of the valve cover is there another way to check to be sure before i go pulling my engine apart?

·
Registered
375 Posts
You could take off the distributor cap and see if the rotor spins. It is driven by the intake cam so if it turns the belt is in tact. I would take out the spark plugs and turn it by hand.. just in case.
I think it would be easier to take off the valve cover personally.. You dont have to take out the spark plugs just the wires.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
just removing the valve cover to see if your timing belt is in fact broken does not require that you buy new gaskets. just remove the bolts holding it down, dont loose the washers and look. even if it is broken just put it back on and tighten the bolts until they are snug NOT tight other wise you can snap off that stud. there really is no need to make it more difficult then it has to be and it should only take 20 minutes at the most to take a quick peek.

good luck with whatever you choose to do.

·
Registered
8,285 Posts
HeroOfTheDay on Oct/10/07 said:
Couldn't you bend valves if you crank it with the timing belt off/broken?
Erm... hello?

If the belt IS broken, and he cranks the motor over... wouldn't he get interference and bend a valve?

I wouldn't try cranking the motor or anything until you know if the belt is broken or not.

·
Registered
21,518 Posts
Royboy on Oct/11/07 said:
Please don't try moving your engine in any way. If you do and your belt is broken you will run into interference problems. Do it properly, remove the valve cover and look.
correct.

Dan you should just remove the bolts that hold on the valve cover, then look, then put it back on and put back in the bolts.

It will take 10 minutes tops.

·
Registered
831 Posts
Actually, when mine stripped it's teeth you couldn't tell that it was bad just by taking the valve cover off. If you just want to see if the cams are spinning then you can just pull off the oil filler cap instead of taking off the dizzy.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
well it turns out it is not broken, the issue is with the belt tensioner it allowed the belt to get loosen up... not cool

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.