Team Integra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have the basic bolt ons on my gsr..and have a vafc..my smog check is due in about 4 months..if i was to install itr cams and get it dynotuned..then smog time comes around put back stock header and cat..would the fuel tuning and all that from the dynotune be messed up once i put back the aftermarket parts after being done with smog..since im assuming there wold be more fuel added and such when its tuned..putting back the stock parts id be running too rich..my main concern is would i need to get it dynotuned again after putting the parts back on..or use that same dynotune setting and be ok..?

·
Registered
874 Posts
well, if you tune it with your cams and bolt-ons, then switch back to stock, the only thing i forsee being a problem is the time youre running stock. depending on how its tuned, you could just be running super rich or super lean for the time being. ive not had any personal experiance with something like that, coming from a state thats pretty lazy on emissions tests. any otehr input?

·
Registered
31,217 Posts
since your engine breathes differently with the aftermarket exhaust system (headers/exhaust) vs. stock exhaust system and the fuel delivered has not changed (same VAFC setting), the emissions will change for each different set up.

That's why you fuel tuned in the first place!!!

If it was the same, you wouldn't have had to have gotten the VAFC to change the fuel tune !!

·
Registered
31,217 Posts
you just record (write down) the settings you had with the aftermarket stuff for the VAFC fuel settings and switchover (VAFC2 saves it all) and change the setting on the VAFC back to zero fuel adjustments (stock) and stock VTEC switchover with the stock exhaust system.

then after the emissions test, put your aftermarket back on and look up your settings and enter them.

how hard is that?

why are you guys making this a huge problem when it's not?

·
Registered
16,250 Posts
Why wouldnt the car pass as it is? Since it has been fuel tuned? How high do they rev the car and at what speeds? Here in NY we go on a dyno and it is run at 55mph.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Furious94LS on Mar/15/04 said:
Why wouldnt the car pass as it is? Since it has been fuel tuned? How high do they rev the car and at what speeds? Here in NY we go on a dyno and it is run at 55mph.
oh im in cali and i highly doubt i can leave the dc header nor the carsound cat..

·
Registered
166 Posts
yes you can. The dc, as long as your carb stamp on top (right under where it says dc really big) is smog legal. Carsound should let you pass. About the only thing i could see you not passing for is the vafc itself. If only we lived in Nevada! You should slap this up in Local Scene. We also have a "smog legal guide" thread in there.

·
Registered
9,719 Posts
pbizzlegsr,

You're making this more complicated then it should be. If it has CARB EO's, you shouldn't even worry. The cams are only ITR cams, nothing redical. Just think... the ITR is legal right?

If anything, the tuning should make you pass the smog test easier. Being in the bay area means two things. Smog on a dyno. Speeds being tested are 15mph and 25mph. The speed is held into place until the smog machine can determine the emmision readings properly. on top of that a stock idle and stock timing.

If you want any help, I think you should help yourself first be at least getting a test done to see where you are. If you are passing, close to passing, or failing miserably.

So go and get yourself tested and get back to us on the results.

·
Registered
7,384 Posts
Have it tuned then get it smogged. Just make sure you have them do a pretest first. I've got the works on my engine along with a JDM Header, 2.5" exhaust, bigger injectors ect. And I'm gonna drive up to that smog station like it's nothing. Granted I have another 2-3 years before I have to somg it for the first time, but when that time comes......

BTW-I won't be looking for some under the table smog station. But if worse comes to worse, well there's plenty of stations like that in the bay area.

·
Registered
2,918 Posts
What header will you be running? The JDM ITR header will pass the visual if you have the heatshields on. That's one of the main reasons I went with this header. An aftermarket cat will pass the visual also. They won't even know the difference.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
new situation..
i have i/h/e installed..i want a carsound cat and itr cams ..ive read that ill pass for sure if my car is tuned correctly and so i plan to dynotune once its installed..the thing is im in ca and have an obd2..so all aftermarket cats are illegal and will fail visual..so that means ill fail unless i swap the stock cat back in when i smog..but when i do that..it will alter the current tuned settings and will result in running rich or lean for its tuned with aftermarket cat and cams..what do you suggest i do..i dont have the money to tune two time..once with the stock cat and other with carsound one..i wanna get it do it within a month..smogging in 5-6 months..

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
and for those people the only reason they passed was because the person smogging happen to not notice the aftermarket cat but lets say they notice mine.that would force me to swap back to stock which i orignially asked

·
Registered
747 Posts
Im sure they wouldn't notice any ways. They just look under, see a box looking like a cat and put a check mark down. They don't put it up on a lift and inspect the brand and stuff. And even if they do fail you for it you get a free retest.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
"you just record (write down) the settings you had with the aftermarket stuff for the VAFC fuel settings and switchover (VAFC2 saves it all) and change the setting on the VAFC back to zero fuel adjustments (stock) and stock VTEC switchover with the stock exhaust system."

if i zero'd everything out and swapped my stock cat back in..that would leave my itr cams untuned..thats what i meant to say in the first place..i remember you always saying itr cams will pass if tuned correctly so if i put my stock cat in..itll alter the current settings with the carsound ..causing me to fail right? thats what im trying to say

·
Registered
31,217 Posts
I think you are obsessing over it a bit too much.

I don't live in CA and don't know your procedures but if 5 people from CA who have aftermarket cats tell you that they had no issues, then, either they are the 5 luckiest bastards in your state or there may be a common pattern.

secondly most emissions tests don't roll the rpms past 4000 rpm. and so you won't get into VTEC for emissions. You will be on closed loop ECU operation and on the nonVTEC lobe.

I don't know if this is the case in CA but up here, our hydrocarbons, CO, and NOx pass levels are stricter than CA's. The killer in most aftermarket setups is the NOx and that's usually in FI and extreme N/A motors. You are nowhere near the limit with ITR STOCK cams. Just make sure the cat is nice and hot before they do their test run and that you have a stock idle tuned properly.

·
Registered
8,097 Posts
pbizzlegsr on Mar/30/04 said:
and for those people the only reason they passed was because the person smogging happen to not notice the aftermarket cat but lets say they notice mine.that would force me to swap back to stock which i orignially asked
No, the reason we pass is because we simply know the right places to go. We don't go to those idiotic places that will fail your visual for things as stupid as not having a pattern printed on your shiftknob (true story). You go to a place that's more in in the know about aftermarket stuff and not so stuck up to fail you the instant they see something non-OEM. In the end if it passes the run test then that's all that really matters. The local forum is a good place to ask about what smog places to go to in your area.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts