Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
6,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally dynoed my car this weekend. I've made a short imagestation album with the results (until I can get it posted here on the site)

Conditions:
105 degrees, sunny, 29.84 in. Hg (1010 hPa)

Run1: AEM CAI, Comptech header, Comptech exhaust, Comptech quiet tip insert (exhaust silencer)
123.1 whp116.8 lb/ft tq

I was disappointed w/ my power output (I was hoping for at least 130whp) and decided to do a second run and remove the silencer in the hopes that it would free up some exhaust flow and get me some more whp.

Run2: same mods as run 1, but I was curious as to how much whp the exhaust silencer was sacrificing, so I removed the silencer and ran with the straight thru exhaust.
123.1 whp112.2 lb/ft tq

Peak power was the exact same on both runs which surprised me......but what surprised me even more was when I looked at the dyno plot and realized that I had actually lost power when I removed the silencer. When they overlayed both runs on one graph, you can clearly see that the car showed increases in whp and tq across the board execpt for the last 500 rpms where the non-silencer setup gained 1-2 whp.

Whats even more interesting is that in the midrange, at the "aem hump", there was a very noticeable spike in whp and tq w/ the silencer installed. Almost 5 whp and 5 lb/ft of tq!

Even though I was fairly dissappointed that I wasn't even putting 130whp to the ground w/ my mods. I'm glad that I ran the car w/ both setups. I was concerned when I bought it that the silencer would rob the car of some whp, especially in the higher rpms where the engine really needs to exhale. Who would have thought that I would have actually gained power throughout the midrange and nearly the entire top end!

Next stop for the BlueTeg and 150 whp project......carsound hi-flow cat, and some Crower 403 cams w/ all the fixings!

Mike D? SurferX? your thoughts on my silencer situation?
Any feedback from others is also welcome.

UPDATE (Decmeber, 10, 2003) New dyno chart w/ high flow cat on page 5 of this thread. ~130whp, ~120 tq

·
Registered
311 Posts
Hey Gabe at least your dyno sheet doesn't look like this!! WooHOO a whopping 116.3 whp and 113 ft lbs of torque

99 LS with generic CAI, and Advanced timing same conditions as above

Click Here

·
Registered
655 Posts
I know this doesn't answer your question... but don't you think this is funny??

99_tegls has probably spent under say... $75-200 for his CAI and if he didn't adjust his timing himself. he is reaching 116.3 whp and 113 ft/lbs.

BlueTeg has spent well over a grand (am I right, I dunno?) I'm guessing more than $1,000-1,500... and you only have an extra 7 whp and 3 ft/lbs.

I don't mean offense BlueTeg... please don't take it like that. Your car sounds bad ass from your profile (you have pics?) but it's these kind of posts that makes me want to stop crapping money out to "performance" mods (I don't wanna boost, btw) and focus more on looks and sound, etc. Anyone else feel this way? (also sorry for bumping in on your post w/o a real answer!) good luck in your quest for 130. as Mike D would say, proper tuning and you'll reach and set more goals!!

·
Registered
311 Posts
Yeah that's what I was thinking after whatching Blueteg Dyno his car but I bet if his car was tuned more it would put down around 130 that's just my guess.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Hey blueteg, I was wondering do power curves dip like that? I mean your car is dipping @ 4.5k and making power again. Is that supposed to be normal? Just wondering....

·
Registered
311 Posts
That Extra power you see around 4000 rpm is the AEM CAI intake. If you look at my chart you will see the same thing it's just that extra burst of midrange power you get from the CAI

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
NeoSilverTeg on Aug/12/02 said:

99_tegls has probably spent under say... $75-200 for his CAI and if he didn't adjust his timing himself. he is reaching 116.3 whp and 113 ft/lbs.

BlueTeg has spent well over a grand (am I right, I dunno?) I'm guessing more than $1,000-1,500... and you only have an extra 7 whp and 3 ft/lbs.

I don't mean offense BlueTeg... please don't take it like that. Your car sounds bad ass from your profile (you have pics?) but it's these kind of posts that makes me want to stop crapping money out to "performance" mods (I don't wanna boost, btw) and focus more on looks and sound, etc. Anyone else feel this way? (also sorry for bumping in on your post w/o a real answer!) good luck in your quest for 130. as Mike D would say, proper tuning and you'll reach and set more goals!!
This post has definitely got me thinking on whether or not these performance upgrades really make a difference. Especially for Automatics. I am thinking about upgrading my header and exhaust system next spring, but if the performance is not that great for an automatic, then I don't want to bother and instead enhance the look of my car and sound. What does everyone think?

·
Registered
6,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
NeoSilverTeg on Aug/12/02 said:

1. Well I don't know if I would classify it as funny...being as how I am the one who has shelled out the money for my project.....but I will say that I was more than a little dissapointed in my car's results.
2. Your price estimate of what I've spent is relatively accurate.
3. No offense taken, you've got a valid point and addressed it respectfully
4. Click the link in sig for pics.
5. I don't know if I would consider it "crapping" away money. Two cars of the same make and model can throw out way different numbers on any given day. A more accurate comparison would be to pit my car stock vs. my car w/ my mods. Not making excuses-just clarifying that stock vs. stock his car could have been more powerful than mine to start off with. I bought the car used, so i don't know how the previous owner maintained. It was also stolen in January, god knows how those motherfockers drove it! Ultimately its up to you whether you want a little more power or a better "looking" car. There are other LS dyno plots on this site w/ i/h/e that are putting down 130whp.
6. My quest if for 150. he he

·
Registered
6,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
InTeGrA_T7 on Aug/12/02 said:
Hey blueteg, I was wondering do power curves dip like that? I mean your car is dipping @ 4.5k and making power again. Is that supposed to be normal? Just wondering....
The curve that you are talking about is known as the "aem hump" it occurs when you stick a cai on a b18 w/ a single port intake manifold like those found on the LS and Type R. Its not really a dip in power, persay, rather the power curve is returning to the slope that it maintains before it hits the "sweet spot" for the intake.

Conceptually you can see the the line falls back to the same angle that it had before 4000 rpms and gives you a basic idea of the power that the cai is generating vs. a short ram. Using the slope from the line going from 3k - 4k rpms, you can practically draw a line conecting the starting point of the aem hump to the end of the aem hump and it will intersect almost seamlessly.

In lamens terms: yes that is normal.

·
Registered
311 Posts
You guys also have to remember that we dynoed are cars when it was 105 degrees outside that's really hot and I had just made a 120 mile trip to the dyno center with only about 15 minutes of cool down time in the sun.

·
Registered
478 Posts
No one addressed the issue of the silencer. Hopefully surferx or mike d might have some input on this. I too have wondered and assumed that the silencer would actually rob power from the system but in this case, apparently it doesnt. But what's interesting is that it actually gives it more power. But how is this even possible. i've been thinking about it a lot and i can't come to the right conclusion how the silencer could actually give more power. HOpefully someone can come and tell us why. I'm VERY interested!

·
Registered
311 Posts
Actually the Torque was increased with the silencer because backpressure was increased you need some backpressure for torque. As to why the HP didn't drop I don't know.

·
Registered
8,532 Posts
You need backpressure for torque is a myth.

The size of the exhaust tip effects where you want your powerband. No doubt the smaller size tip moved it, lower in the RPM. My guess is the large tip of the comptech is designed for a higher powerband than an LS can rev stock.

Just my guess though.

BTW, how does your comptech sound with the silencer? I have been thinking of getting one, and hey, if it increases power in the B18B thats more reason too ;)

·
Registered
29 Posts
looks good for the mods you listed.....maybe a "little" less than what it should be. but many things can contribute to those numbers......what wheels were you using at the time of the dyno? what size and how much do they weigh?

have a look in the dyno section for my 95 RS. stock with just a cheapo filter on a stick intake and crap custom exhaust i made 127whp.

·
Registered
6,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
non-VTEC on Aug/12/02 said:
looks good for the mods you listed.....maybe a "little" less than what it should be. but many things can contribute to those numbers......what wheels were you using at the time of the dyno? what size and how much do they weigh?

have a look in the dyno section for my 95 RS. stock with just a cheapo filter on a stick intake and crap custom exhaust i made 127whp.
17"s 23lbs. per rim

1 - 20 of 67 Posts