Team Integra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, I'm moving out to my new house in a few months which unfortunatley has a long gravel drive. My dad plans on paving it in a few years, but the dust that the drive puts out on a hot day is unbearable. When I drive my car there now, there is no chance it's staying clean. Is there anything you guys know of that can be put down on top of the gravel to keep my teg from becoming a dust cloud everytime.

I've heard some people use oil, but thats bad because the drive is right along a lake. Any of you have any info, advice on what can help?? Thanks a lot.

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
Get a car cover, cut out a hole for the winshield and drive down your driveway in that...Think outside the box

·
Registered
5,536 Posts
just keep a california car duster handy...those are great!

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Haha, this is a LoNG driveway. I'm talkin almost 1/4 mile long. It is fine when it's wet (when my car's dirty anyways), it's just the hot and dry days (when it's clean) that the dust is a problem. I was looking for something more along the line of laying something (liquid, other type of stone etc) on top that is permanent. I thought I remember someone a long time ago saying to put the crap that the city scrapes off the top of their streets on stone to lower dust. Not too sure about that, but am looking to anything that could help.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
justin_dailey on Apr/20/04 said:
pave it yourself
Yea, I can see it now..... Me out there with about 500 bags of quick-crete and a tank of water. Don't think that would pan out too well, haha.

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
homeslice229 on Apr/20/04 said:
Quote: justin_dailey on Apr/20/04pave it yourself
Yea, I can see it now..... Me out there with about 500 bags of quick-crete and a tank of water. Don't think that would pan out too well, haha.
That was the best suggestion my Penn State education could help me to come up with...lol

·
Registered
5,556 Posts
Here's the thing... because of the driveway your car is always going to be dusty. If you use oil or whatever then it will be less dusty, but it will still always be dusty. The solution is to sell your car and buy a white, yellow or silver car. That is the only way the dust will be tolerable until it is totally paved. Its the sad truth. Nothing else you do is going to eliminate the dust... it will just cut it down. Your car will still always be more dusty than if you lived in town or if the driveway was paved.

·
Registered
901 Posts
Just drive down it really fast so by the time the dust kicks up your gone, and practice timing it so you just make it in your garage when your coming home and the door closes right after you

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
lildevock on Apr/20/04 said:
Get a car cover, cut out a hole for the winshield and drive down your driveway in that...Think outside the box
So far best idea, and just ake it off when u get to the end of ur long driveway.

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
You could always park your car at the bottom of the driveway and ride your bike to your car and back up your driveway at the beginning and end of the day. Or you could buy a junker to go up and down the driveway (very cheap because you wouldn't need insurance or tags or anything) and you could just do the same thing...leave the teg at the bottom of the driveway and let the junker be your driveway transportation.

·
Registered
10,995 Posts
LT6916 on Apr/20/04 said:
just keep a california car duster handy...those are great!
I'm not a big fan of those, I had one and returned it cause it caused small scratches dragging the dirt around.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
It isn't bad if I creep along going 1-2mph, but it takes me about 8 minutes to get down the drive if I do that. There are even days that if I creep, my car will still get dusty and chalky. This past weekend, I had my blower on and the dust even started to come up in my car. I don't expect to find something that will eliminate the dust, just make it so there isn't a giant dust cloud following my car everytime. It looks like I may just have to put up with a dirty car all the time. The irony is that in this new house I'll get a garage (I park in the drive now), but it won't do too much good if my car's always dusty.

BTW- I actually did think about the lawn sprinklers all along the drive to wet the drive before I rode down it. This drive is abnormally dusty, just have no idea why.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
justin_dailey on Apr/20/04 said:
Quote: homeslice229 on Apr/20/04Quote: justin_dailey on Apr/20/04pave it yourself
Yea, I can see it now..... Me out there with about 500 bags of quick-crete and a tank of water. Don't think that would pan out too well, haha. [/QUOTE]That was the best suggestion my Penn State education could help me to come up with...lol
[/quote]
get some members for your area to help you if a bunch of ti people show it wint take long all you have to do is provide food and then im sure people will help i would but um yea im far away.

·
Registered
5,536 Posts
a lawn tractor would be nice to get back and forth on the driveway.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts