Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i recently was in accident that messed up my front end a little bit,crashed my integra :( I took my car to the mechanic today to have them align the tires, check the brakes, and check the suspenison. I told them NOT to do any body work, but they attempted to bend the hood back anyways. This moved the hood latch forward a little bit, causing the hood to no longer latch. Instead of just bending the hood back, or loosening the hood mounting bolts and moving it back a bit, they drilled a hole into the raditor support. This still didn't fix the problem so they just gave up. When I got there to pick up my car, they told me the hood didn't latch and i had to options, to drill out the raditor support further or to use chains to hold the hood shut. I ofcourse wanted to know what possed them to start cutting my radiotor support to begin with. They also left a bunch of metal shaving all over my engine! I ended up just bending the hood back and loosening the hood mounting bolts and moving it back a bit. My hood, and bumber were both ruined in the accident and the raditor mount was bent, but the body shop told me the raditor mount could be bent back. Now that it has a whole drilled in it do i need to replace it? Is the mechanic responsible for replacing it?

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
sounds to me like someone looked at your car and thought you might have some wild stuff under the hood so they popped it. Then perhaps it wouldn't close. They saw the bend and thought if they fixed it it would close. Everything kept going downhill from there.

edit- reagardless they pay- they did work they had no business doing.

·
Registered
7,037 Posts
Did you sign any kind of waiver saying they were allowed to perform what work they felt neccesary on your car? If not, you can sue them. If they were not allowed to drill a hole in the Rad support then they ruined it and they should buy you a new one. If you specifically told them not to touch anything else other than what was authorized then you should talk to the manager and have some restitution.

·
Registered
37 Posts
meconfu5ed on Feb/02/04 said:
sounds to me like someone looked at your car and thought you might have some wild stuff under the hood so they popped it. Then perhaps it wouldn't close. They saw the bend and thought if they fixed it it would close. Everything kept going downhill from there.
I agree, someone's curiousity got the best of them and they screwed it up

·
Registered
62 Posts
It's the mechanics falt!!! It's probaly to late to do anything now because you drove out of the shop. so now they can just deny it. you may have a chance....I would definitly go back there and talk to there manager. thats crap for them to do that.

·
Super Moderator
14,170 Posts
before you get angry go in and talk to the owner calmly and explain the situation. Assuming the owner wasn't the one doing the work.

·
Registered
919 Posts
If you told them not to touch the bodywork and they did all that without your permission they are responsible for replacing the radiator support without a doubt.

Have a talk with the manager or owner first to explain the situation and see if they are willing to cooperate with you. Usually shops are very careful when dealing with unauthorized or unnecessary work issues because they can get into very serious trouble by doing it. There should be a local government agency designed to help people with problems like this (BAR here in California). If they don't cooperate try to find out if you have one and get in contact with them. That should be the end of your problems as they will pursue everything from that point themselves.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
lol agreed i need to find a new mechanic, this guy is an idiot. Is it possible to buy a new usdm raditor support? I know its possibel to buy a jdm one (for jdm conversions).

·
Registered
7,037 Posts
Yep, Acura sells the whole thing for about 250 or just the top part for about 120. I have one sitting in my room right now lol. Vengs also sells aftermarket ones for like $200 bucks, but I don't buy aftermarket crap.

·
Registered
444 Posts
I agree with tony4311
The most important thing is you have to be calm and clear about what has happened. If you get pissed off and upset, they won't fix it, they don't need that crap. But if you're rational and explain your side im sure they'll be willing to work something out for you.
Good luck

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
you won't be able to sue them. your car was in an accident. for all you know, they popped the hood to perform the work you requested to be done, and since you car is messed up cuz you smashed it, the hood wouldn't close properly... so they tried fixing it so your car would be driveable when you came and picked it up. i assume your car is going to get fixed at some point, so why worry about it. let your insurance company deal with it and drive more carefully from now on.

·
Registered
878 Posts
tony4311 on Feb/02/04 said:
before you get angry go in and talk to the owner calmly and explain the situation. Assuming the owner wasn't the one doing the work.
great advice but be firm in the fack that they screwed up on there work.. tell them you have pictures befor and i bet they wont say much then.. i did this when they left the spline clip off my axel when doing my coilovers and they even gave me some free work.. but i was calm and polite with them but never let them try and talk me over.. good luck!!

·
Registered
3,069 Posts
Tell the owner what happened, if he refuses to help you take your car to another shop close by, and let them know what happened, go to as many local shops as you can and tell them what happened and ask their opinions. Get some names, go back to the owner and if he still refuses start mentioning stuff like "oh, well when I talked to so-n-so, he said...." That will definitely get his attention because now he will know if he doesn't help you his credibility is crap. Just make sure to be calm throughout all of this.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts