Team Integra Forums banner

Drmix's 96 CGP GSR Turbo Drag Build Thread

499K views 2K replies 142 participants last post by  drmix 
#1 · (Edited)
Organized oldest to newest updates: (Need to update)

Motor swap plus OEM parts
Valve cover plus parts delivered
Front end installed
Rims and HID retrofit
Body work on the hatch begins
Body work complete! Plus ITR throttle cable swap
Door panels
Finally tires so I can mount the rims
New deck, mudflaps, and antenna delete
Tan to black swap
Carbon fiber vinyl on the interior
The NO BS Big Brake upgrade
Header/test pipe install
Koni/Ground Control installed
I hate thieves!!
New lugs/detail pics/VTEC solenoid gaskets
Plasti-Dipped rims
Tinted windows
LED reverse lights
Extended studs plus new wheel bearings
ASR subframe brace and sway bar
JDM ITR Recaros
Mishimoto radiator, fan and pipe kit
Bad news once again
New motor plans
Picked up new motor
Tune results
Intake, MTX-L, oil pressure gauge arrived
Remote oil pressure sender, gauges installed
New camera test pics
Dragon Run 2013
Dragon Run Pics
Catch can installed
Ugh! Low compression results
AC delete and weight reduction
Block needs rebuilt...time to build for turbo!
BWR ramhorn turbo manifold/down pipe/dump tube
Re-loom engine harness and remove sound deadening material
Painted tranny
Battery relocation
Painted head
Personal steering wheel/BWR catch can and other parts
Picked up assembled block and pics of old pistons
Motor assembled time to install
First start up video after rebuild
Replacing valve seals using the "Rope Trick"
Blaze yellow plasti dip rims
Turbo install begins!
Fuel pump rewiring guide and window weld torque mounts
Starter rebuild
First tune while boosted
Small photoshoot
Advanti Storm S1 and BFG Rivals mounted
Oil cooler install
Exterior battery kill switch
Tuned once again
ABS delete
Headlight duct and LSD
First set of slicks
Slicks and rims mounted

Current setup
Motor
-Turbo 98 JDM Type R B18C (427whp and 304tq)

Engine Setup
-82mm Wiseco 8.7:1 pistons
-Stock sleeves
-Precision 5531 turbo
-BWR ramhorn manifold
-Tial 38mm MV-S wastegate
-Tial Q 50mm BOV
-Victor x intake manifold ported to match TB
-Skunk2 70mm throttle body
-CTR cams
-Supertech flat faced valves,springs and retainers
-3in exhaust and downpipe, no cat, Vibrant muffler
-Innovate MTX-L wideband
-Hondata S300 V3
-RC 750cc Saturated
-Golden Eagle fuel rail
-Grams Performance 255 Fuel Pump
-92 Octane
-Omni 4 bar map sensor
-BWR catch can setup
-MFactory LSD

Suspension
-ASR subframe brace
-Blox Pro Drag coilovers
-Energy suspension bushings
-Full Race traction bar

Tires/Rims
-M&H 24.5x8.5x15 slicks
-Advanti Storm S1 Rims 15x8 +25 offset
-BFG Rivals 205/50/15 tires

Brakes
-Mini Cooper Stop Tech Slotted Rotors
-ITR Front Calipers with Stop Tech Pads
-Techna Fit Stainless Steel Brake Lines

Interior
-Whitfield 10 point chromoly rollcage
-Kirkey pro drag racing seats
-G-Force 5 point harnesses
-Tan To Black Interior Swap
-Personal Grinta Black/Red Suede Steering Wheel
-ITR Shift Boot

Exterior
-ITR Front Lip Replica
-OEM Honda Access Window Visors
-OEM ITR Rear Spoiler
-20% Window Tint
-Team CGP 2 Piece Rear Diffuser
-Team CGP moonroof delete plug

*****************************************************************************************
Original Post
So today I picked up a 96 GSR. Its got 151k on the motor. Motor runs pretty smooth.

The major issues that its got is:

• the damage on the front drivers fender (seller gave me a replacement)
  • the brakes need to be replaced ASAP
I got the car for a decent price so I wasnt worried about the problems.

Other than the front corner of the car the rest of the body is pretty clean.

So tonight I bought new brake pads all around and new rotors for the front. I will be replacing them tomorrow. Should get rid of the constant squealing lol.

I also plan on washing and cleaning her a little bit too.

For now I plan on just fixing all the small things and cleaning up the body a bit. Definitely getting rid of the yellow high beams and front turn signals. I also plan on getting some new wheels and tires. Its currently on steelies and snow tires.

Here is a couple of quick pics I snapped on my phone. Ill post up some more tomorrow when I get a chance.

See less See more
1 6
#571 ·
Just got in from the garage. Got both gauges installed, MTX-L calibrated and O2 installed. Heres pics of the install:

Remote oil pressure sender parts $4.99 for the hose (ignore the fitting since I bought the wrong one at first lol)

Correct fitting :thumbs_up:

All connected together. $7 well spent.

Bezel mocked up

How I wired the gauges together. Ignore the crimp connectors they are just to cap off the extra wires.

Big heat shrink on top to keep it all together

Wires labeled to keep it organized

Gauges on

Blox kit is finally here!

Huge filter

Filter fits on the stack perfectly

The install of the gauges went pretty well. The only issue I am having is on the oil pressure gauge its suppose to have 7 different colors but the button on the gauge doesnt do anything. It doesnt feel like the button actually presses in like it should. Ill probably pop the cover off and see if it needs adjusting.

#576 ·
#578 ·
It looks to be high quality. Been working out of town lately so I havent even test fitted it on the intake tube.

Still waiting on my throttle body from Skunk2. It was delivered to them Thursday morning and its the end of Tuesday now and still havent heard anything back....so much for only needing a day to fix it. Im gonna give them a call tomorrow and see whats going on with it.

#581 ·
So I heard back from Skunk2 today. They ended up replacing mine with a brand new one that had a stiffer spring so it should work nicely. It was suppose to ship out today so I should have it Friday if not on Monday. Im hoping it arrives Friday so I can install it this weekend and finally put some miles on the teg

#582 ·
So just waiting around home today waiting for FedEx to hopefully deliver my throttle body so I can install it.

I received my Sony Nex-C3 yesterday so Ive been messing around with that. Ive never had anything other than a point and shoot camera so im just trying to get the hang of all the settings and photography terms. Also bought a tripod, 32GB SD card, 2 extra batteries and a car charger. Hopefully the throttle body comes today so I can get some good pics of the car this weekend.

Pre-Dragon to do list:
*Install Skunk2 throttle body
*Replace hose on A/C since it has a leak
*Recharge A/C
*Detail the teg
*Wire up cruise control since I have a removable steering wheel
*Paint valve cover and intake tube
*Install intake and Blox velocity stack/filter

#587 ·
Yeah it sucks but I am glad that Skunk2 is getting the issue fixed. When I talked to them they said that it was going to be replaced with a whole new unit. It might be taking a little longer than expected but Skunk2 paid for everything even the cost of shipping them the throttle body. Pretty good since I am not the original buyer and dont have a receipt or anything for it. They could have easily said that they werent going to cover it

So I got the tiny factory throttle body installed with the TPS calibrated. I was lucky enough to find 4 bolts that would work so I wouldnt have to go through the hassle of installing the studs just to remove them later on. Got my new intake tube installed with the Blox velocity stack. Had to do some cutting on the tube though since the tube had the bend on the end where the filter goes that angled down and that just wasnt going to work with the beast of a filter on the end. Just about to eat some lunch then ill head out and take her on the maiden voyage. I havent driven it since I sent in the Skunk2 throttle body, installed the oil pressure gauge, sandwich plate and wide band kit. Hopefully all goes well. Oh and my buddy just picked up my valve cover today so it should be getting sandblasted so I can paint it tomorrow.

Also ordered my A/C hose which will be in tomorrow. Probably wont get to filling the A/C system until next weekend but ill install the hose. Planning on getting started on my detailing of the teg tomorrow morning and hopefully be able to test out my new camera.

9 DAYS TO GO!!

#588 ·
Ugh so I took the teg for a spin and I am having the same problem where it doesnt want to start when its cold. It starts for like a second and then just dies. If I give it gas it runs but then it dies after letting off. If I hold down the gas slightly and let it warm up for probably 30 seconds it will idle by itself just barely.

Once I start driving it seems to drive just fine but then when it comes time to shift into neutral the RPM's drop very low to almost where it dies and every few times it actually does die. So I would start it up and then it starts up just fine like nothing happened and idles alright.

Anyone have any ideas on what this could be? I really dont want to take the car cross country with this issue.

Heres a video of trying to start it when the motor was cold:

#591 ·
Im not too sure. Usually a vacuum leak creates a high idle since its letting in too much air. Im gonna try resetting the ecu tomorrow and see if that helps. Maybe when I was calibrating the TPS the ECU was confused or something? I forgot to add that I adjusted the idle screw as far as it would go and it helped some but not that much.

I have a feeling that its something small that I am overlooking

#595 · (Edited)
ive had that issue on and off before. i always assume its my iacv. it would die right after i started the car when cold, idle really low and slowly come up as the iacv opened. occasionally, usually on hot days, it would drop to idle and just fall to zero, sometimes it would drop really low, andslowly make its way back up, like a cold start. honestly im probably going to delete my iacv this fall. im tired of this crap, and replacing it with a new one is ridiculous.

#596 ·
My VERY similar issues, and for years and ironically *especially* at the Dragon, were IACV related...

Cleaned it a few times and prob went away for a while, but eventually replaced it during the JRSC install and I haven't had the issue since

#597 ·
Just cleaned the IACV. It didnt look too bad. I think I will look for a backup just in case. Im sure I can find a used one for pretty cheap.

I also reset my ECU and installed my replacement AC line so it is good to get recharged.

Havent tried starting it yet just had to come inside and double check some things but ill let you guys know how it goes.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.