Team Integra Forums banner

1701 - 1720 of 2483 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,705
Im going to be upgrading the wiring to my fuel pump probably over the long Christmas weekend. My battery has been relocated to the hatch so its pretty simple to run a thick dedicated wire for the pump. I picked up a relay yesterday. Hopefully my turbo arrives early in the week so I can start the car and do a before and after of the voltage to the pump. Just want to make sure I am getting the most out of my Walbro 255 for when its boosted.

·
Administrator
43,014 Posts
If you need help with the wiring for that relay:
- Pin 85 : ground
- Pin 86 : 12V of existing pump wire (green/yellow)
- Pin 30 : fused lead from battery
- Pin 87 : into fuel pump

·
Premium Member
4,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,707
Thanks! I found a guide that I was going to use (also has some good info).
How to rewire install fuel pump relay mod

Ill probably use 12 gauge wiring to the battery which is plenty big enough. Pretty sure I have some laying around in the garage so ill just have to get a fuse holder. Any suggestion on the size of fuse? I am thinking a 20 amp should do.

Ill take some pics and put together a guide on upgrading the fuel pump wiring since I dont think we have one yet.

·
Premium Member
4,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,710
Havent heard anything back from Speed Factory on the turbo probably because of the holidays but im almost positive the turbo will arrive tomorrow. Other than that I worked on the teg for a bit this weekend. First thing I did was remove the torque mounts and fill them with Window Weld.

OEM ITR torque mounts (were brand new a little over 2 years ago). The drivers mount is pretty soft.

Taped one side so I could fill them. Didnt have duct tape like I had hoped so I used packing tape.

The stuff

Filled up. Brought the mounts and set them on top of the vent to dry for the next few days (probably dry faster inside than the 40ish degree garage lol).

The mounts should be dry but im not in a big hurry to install them since the car isnt going anywhere any time soon. Probably just give them a couple extra days to dry just to be sure.

Fuel Pump
Since I didnt have my turbo yet I couldnt start the car and take any voltage readings at the fuel pump to see how much of an improvement rewiring the fuel pump will make but I rewired it anyways.

Heres what I started with:

Disconnected battery and cut factory wiring.

Since my battery is located in the back and my rear seats arent going in I decided to just mount the relay close to the fuel pump. Wires cut and female quick disconnect connectors installed on factory wires. If you are wanting to install your relay farther away these wire should be extended/pulled back to the relay location.

New 12AWG wiring routed through rubber grommets just like before. Red goes to the relay for 12v and the black goes to ground. For now I am using quick disconnect connectors to attach to the pump. The cleanest and best way to do this would be to repin the OEM connector for the fuel pump and use the new wiring. I didnt have the proper pins for this but will be getting them later on.

Wrapped connections with tape to protect from any shorts as well protect the connection from corrosion. In case you forget the ground wire is the one closest to the button for releasing the clip from the pump.

Put sleeving around the wires to keep them together. Put pump cover back on.

Connected wires up to the new relay. I used a 12v 30/40amp relay (not sure why but the relay itself was marked 60amp lol) I picked up at Radio Shack.

Used Steve's cheat sheet for wiring up the relay.
- Pin 85 : Factory fuel pump ground wire (black/white)
- Pin 86 : 12v of existing pump wire (yellow/green)
- Pin 30 : Fused lead from battery (12AWG)
- Pin 87 : 12v powering fuel pump (12AWG)
- New ground wire for fuel pump goes to chassis (12AWG)

Went ahead and heat shrunk each connector to protect against any shorts. Also labeled each one in case I had to remove/replace the relay.

More heat shrink to keep all the connections solid. Secured the relay.

Forgot to take a pic at the end but I installed a fuse holder near the battery for power. Once you double check all of your connections, install the fuse in the fuse holder and you are good to go. I am running a 20 amp fuse which I read is what alot of people use for their Walbro 255. Turned the key to ON and heard the pump turn on so its good to go.

The upgraded wiring isnt really needed for a somewhat small pump like the the 255. I just wanted to make sure that I am getting the most out of my pump as possible. If I do end up going to a larger pump later on the hardest part is already done.

-------------------------
Alot of info for one post lol.

Also changed the oil, ordered another oil cooler (same as before just need to be careful mounting it this time around), and will be receiving a Spoon Duracon shift knob from my sister for xmas.

·
Premium Member
4,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,714
Called SpeedFactory today and my turbo had just came in! Next step is just picking it up. Im going to try and get one of my coworkers to pick it up for me some time before Thursday if not I can pick it up Friday. Once I get the turbo installed ill take the car for a short drive around the block (still dont have the bumper on) to make sure everything looks good. Also to check for leaks since i fixed a couple small oil leaks that came up.

Tuning next Friday!:biggrin:

·
Premium Member
4,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,719
The first chance I get to drive it I will be washing it. Shes a dirty girl lol.

I will be ordering a new muffler tonight. Im not a big fan of the one that came with my exhaust but you cant complain for the price. Ill be going with a Vibrant muffler. 3in inlet and outlet plus its flat black so it will be perfect for my taste lol. When I brought the teg to the exhaust place to get the downpipe welded to the exhaust they said it would be like $80 in labor to get a new muffler welded on and they would also fix any rattles on the exhaust. (they loved the teg :cool:)

1701 - 1720 of 2483 Posts