Team Integra Forums banner

1501 - 1520 of 2483 Posts

·
The Enforcer!
5,802 Posts
I'm still not sure about the sheet metal thing. Maybe it works, idk.

·
Premium Member
4,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,502
I'm still not sure about the sheet metal thing. Maybe it works, idk.
From what Ive read air will flow through the easiest path possible. Having a gaping hole on the drivers side will cause the air to flow through there instead of through the radiator/oil cooler. Read a thread on it somewhere ill see if I can find it.

·
Premium Member
4,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,506
Received my intercooler today.

Vibrant 12810 rated for 550hp

I also talked with Blackworks about the downpipe and they said to send it back and they would replace it. Ill be sending that out tomorrow and once they receive it they already have one thats tested to fit a turbo ready to send back to me.

The plan is to install the intercooler and intercooler piping over the 3 day weekend. After that the only thing left to mock up is the oil cooler which I will order once the intercooler is installed and I see how much room I have to work with.

·
The Enforcer!
5,802 Posts
I also talked with Blackworks about the downpipe and they said to send it back and they would replace it. Ill be sending that out tomorrow and once they receive it they already have one thats tested to fit a turbo ready to send back to me.

i think they need to add dimples to the dp to allow the nut to fasten

·
Registered
496 Posts
could you take a picture of the inside of the end tank of that intercooler? I've been thinking about getting the smaller Vibrant 12800 intercooler for my boost build with little to no reviews on the cooler. Although Vibrant makes top notch stuff and I'm willing to take a shot with it at only $166 shipped.

This build is coming along nicely, I'm excited to see when you get everything put together! =D

·
Premium Member
4,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,509
i think they need to add dimples to the dp to allow the nut to fasten
Yeah when I sent him the pictures he said that the fabricator forgot to (cant remember the word he used lol). I did buy the setup close to a year ago and I think thats when BWR had just started making the manifolds so I think they were still working out the issues at the time. He said they would replace it with another one so I guess well see what the newest downpipes have done to them.

could you take a picture of the inside of the end tank of that intercooler? I've been thinking about getting the smaller Vibrant 12800 intercooler for my boost build with little to no reviews on the cooler. Although Vibrant makes top notch stuff and I'm willing to take a shot with it at only $166 shipped.

This build is coming along nicely, I'm excited to see when you get everything put together! =D
I was in the same boat with this one not very many reviews just a reputable brand name intercooler at a great price. Ill take some pics here shortly.

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
Love the progress Justin! Radiator placement looks spot on. That passenger side, high-beam adjuster for the headlight became my "limit" when I moved my half rad like you have. It sure does free up a lot of room for the Turbo stuffs though.

I was thinking another option for the downpipe would be a V-band connection, but iz more $.

That ducting idea looks fantastic, I am super interested in its functionality, not only for ducting, but for keeping the manifold/turbo/downpipe heat away from the cooler cores (I have a sneak suspicion thats why its so hard to keep some of these turbo B series' cool). It might be possible to "angle" the sheet metal duct piece as well to ensure more air goes across the rad. core.

·
Premium Member
4,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,511
Love the progress Justin! Radiator placement looks spot on. That passenger side, high-beam adjuster for the headlight became my "limit" when I moved my half rad like you have. It sure does free up a lot of room for the Turbo stuffs though.

I was thinking another option for the downpipe would be a V-band connection, but iz more $.
Yeah thats as far over as I went also with the radiator.

I was thinking about v-band also (BWR does make a v-band downpipe). The only thing is in order to use v-band I would need to get an adapter to put on the turbo which would push the down pipe that much closer to my radiator. I already decided that when my down pipe gets welded to the exhaust I will have them add a 3in v-band flange setup there for easier access if I ever need to remove it. Ive never experienced v-band until I put my wastegate onto the manifold but so far I like it.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I would suggest going with option 2, with that being said you should angle the sheet metal towards the rad, have driver side pushed forward and passenger side pushed in, that way you're directing the air flow to the rad instead of it hitting a flush wall and dispersing in whatever direction it can also causing drag.

·
Premium Member
4,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,513
I would suggest going with option 2, with that being said you should angle the sheet metal towards the rad, have driver side pushed forward and passenger side pushed in, that way you're directing the air flow to the rad instead of it hitting a flush wall and dispersing in whatever direction it can.
Yeah thats what I was planning on doing so the air would funnel down to the radiator.
@thenickster5792 here are the pics. Also took a couple others showing the mounting brackets that come with it.

After talking with @justYncredible about moving the radiator placement he suggested the 94-97 accord coolant reservoir which is slimmer and would mount in the factory location. Also received my turbo gasket and 2.5 to 2.75 coupling.

Installed the wastegate and dumptube last weekend but forgot to post pics.

I have a 4 day weekend starting today so expect some updates :wink:

·
Administrator
43,014 Posts
Man o man, usage of the Accord tank is something I've never seen before..... very nice suggestion by justYncredible

·
The Enforcer!
5,802 Posts
Thanks for the mention!
Question
Can you clock that dumptube back? I ask because I would be worried about it getting hit by a speed bump or something.

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
Coming along nicely. The turbo setup looks great, and great idea for the Accord tank.
Suggestion on the sheetmetal if you put one on: Maybe a piece of sheetmetal, angled towards the radiator, with louvers in it that would allow air to flow to the turbo as well?

·
Premium Member
4,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,519
Coming along nicely. The turbo setup looks great, and great idea for the Accord tank.
Suggestion on the sheetmetal if you put one on: Maybe a piece of sheetmetal, angled towards the radiator, with louvers in it that would allow air to flow to the turbo as well?
Hmm that might work. I havent spent too much time looking at how exactly I want to place the sheet metal but I am thinking the best spot for the oil cooler would be on the drivers side down low. Going to figure out that part today.

So I got the intercooler mounted. The 2 brackets that came with the intercooler wouldnt work for my setup the way they came so I had to modify them a little to make them work. Forgot to take pics of the brackets but I will do that when I take the intercooler off but I trimmed them a little and flipped them upside down and they work perfect. I then made 2 brackets for the bottom so the intercooler is locked in place with no play at all.

Just had to trim a little on the bumper to make it fit mostly the lower portion that attaches to the core support. Ill probably take out the fog light covers and the license plate bracket thing from the grill to get a little more airflow. While I had the bumper off I went ahead and filled in the Acura badge holes with flexible bumper bondo and used touchup paint on top of it but of course I forgot to take pics of that lol. Dont mind the beat up lip it will get repainted later on.

Going to head back out shortly to work on the intercooler piping. I already know I will need to cut at least 2 of the pipes to make it fit correctly. I also ordered some black radiator paint for the intercooler last night which justYncredible had recommended for painting.

·
Premium Member
4,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,520
Got the intercooler piping installed. The washer, exhaust hanger and vice grip trick worked for rolling the bead after I cut the piping.

Everything mocked up minus the sheet metal and oil cooler. Will be ordering the oil cooler tomorrow.

Right on the washer reservoir

Bumper with trimming on the inside and filled in badge holes. Still need to do some more slight trimming.

1501 - 1520 of 2483 Posts