Team Integra Forums banner

801 - 820 of 2483 Posts

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
New cams huh?! Awesome I finally did a nice 3rd gear pull with a friend the other day, felt good. How was it running before the tear down?

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
166 Posts
He said it was running ok but has had a idle issue for a bit that hasn't been pin pointed yet. His compression numbers dry were 4th 180 3rd 180 2nd 150 1st 235 needless to say the culprit has to be the HG after seeing it first hand. I know the copper spray can help seal the HG but I more so don't think it helps. And you should do the cams now order em up ill have some payment for you next weekend.

·
Premium Member
4,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #805
New cams huh?! Awesome I finally did a nice 3rd gear pull with a friend the other day, felt good. How was it running before the tear down?

Like Paul said the idle was probably the 1st issue I noticed. I would set the idle and it would idle perfectly, I would drive for a little bit then all of a sudden the idle would reset and it would idle super low like around 500. I reset the idle again and it would do the same thing. My guess is that the leaky head gasket caused the motor to be inconsistent so that when I set the idle and drove the state of the motor would change causing the idle to be thrown off.

Another issue I just noticed after doing the catch can setup was that it would smoke abit from the filter on the catch can and the valve cover breather. Hopefully a fresh head gasket and re-torquing of the head stud nuts will solve the issues. The old head gasket was completely soaked in oil.

He said it was running ok but has had a idle issue for a bit that hasn't been pin pointed yet. His compression numbers dry were 4th 180 3rd 180 2nd 150 1st 235 needless to say the culprit has to be the HG after seeing it first hand. I know the copper spray can help seal the HG but I more so don't think it helps. And you should do the cams now order em up ill have some payment for you next weekend.
I wish I could get them now but I cant really afford the cams right now plus the time to retune. 500 miles should be enough time to save up some money for the cams and tune. Plus even if I did get the cams now I would still have to pull them out after 500 miles to retorque. They will come soon enough :biggrin:

·
Registered
412 Posts
That's awesome man, and what you mentioned above about this relating to your idle makes sense. Hopefully after this you'll be good to go

·
Premium Member
4,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #809
So the guy I bought my head gasket from Sunday night didnt get around to shipping it out until just yesterday. :icon_twisted: Looks like the teg wont be running this weekend. Delivery is set for tuesday.

The plan for this weekend is just getting the motor ready for when the head gasket comes. Clean up the head/block surfaces and pull the radiator to flush it out.

Been thinking about shedding some pounds on the heavy beast. I know that I still have my charcoal canister siting in the bay which I dont think is even connected anymore. Probably pull the rear seats since I never have anyone in the back plus they are the last piece of my tan interior still left so they wont be missed lol. Might eventually remove the sound deadening material but will probably wait on that.

I will Probably end up pulling the AC. Yeah I know everyone says not to pull the AC but the teg isnt a daily driver, I have always had issues with the AC not working, the system weighs around 50lbs, the condenser fins are all bent up which is cutting down on the efficiency of my radiator and if I ditch the condenser I can run a pusher fan on the drivers side to help out the radiator.

·
Administrator
43,014 Posts
I was just voicing "don't pull the AC when you are about to drive through the heart of Texas in the middle of summer"...

but now, game on !!

·
Premium Member
4,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #811
I was just voicing "don't pull the AC when you are about to drive through the heart of Texas in the middle of summer"...

but now, game on !!
Yeah thats what I was thinking about as I was typing lol. I kept the AC for the dragon run trip and of course when I needed it the most if failed on me so time to rip it out and never plan on driving through Texas again haha. I think the idea of shipping the teg to NC for the dragon run will be a better idea than driving it again.

·
Premium Member
4,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #812
So I did some work on the teg today. I pulled my charcoal canister which wasnt connected to much except for some drain tubes and a line which apparently is a breather for the fuel tank. What has everyone else done for this line? From what I read is that you just extend the hose to a safe place (somewhere dry and away from the exhaust).

I also pulled out my sandwich plate, cleaned the mounting surfaces and put on a fresh coat of oil resistant RTV sealant around it. During the Dragon Run trip I had a small leak around the sandwich plate so I had to do a quick roadside bandaid fix to stop the leak. It wasnt leaking yet but I decided I would just redo it correctly this time and let the RTV cure a bit before torquing it down. Much easier with the head off and the motor cooled down lol.

One of the other things I did was removed my AC. Just some random pics I snapped.
AC plug part number

AC plug installed

Radiator excited for some fresh air

Extra space in the bay

The AC system removed. Suppose to be around 50lbs total for the system

Only thing left to do on the AC delete is finding a small plug on the firewall where the drain tube for the AC use to be. Should be able to find one next time I take a trip to the wrecking yard.

Heres the weight reduction so far (all weights from what I found searching around online):
AC - 46.5lbs
Spare tire, jack, tools - 29.5lbs
Spare tire cover (broken anyways lol) - 9lbs
Power steering - 17lbs
Rear windshield wiper - 3lbs
Power antenna - 2lbs

Next to do:
Rear seat - 26lbs
Rear seat belts - 5lbs
Cargo cover - 7lbs
Possibly sound deadening - 12lbs

·
Administrator
43,014 Posts
looks like a nice and clean "delete"

for the A/C drain host, you could just put the hose back in and then cap off one side with a large bolt or something like that

if fact, i'm guessing you put the evap housing back in, that should still be hooked up to the drain hose so moisture that may accumulate in there can still get out

·
Registered
5,462 Posts
Lol if you weren't so skinny I'd say go on a diet and drop some weight off the driver. Good work though man I remember deleting all that stuff off my first and second teg. Ac ps cc abs airbags spares lol it makes things a lot easier to work on with nothing in the way but I can say this ill never delete ac again lol I like it way to much now.

·
Premium Member
4,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #815
looks like a nice and clean "delete"

for the A/C drain host, you could just put the hose back in and then cap off one side with a large bolt or something like that

if fact, i'm guessing you put the evap housing back in, that should still be hooked up to the drain hose so moisture that may accumulate in there can still get out
I was thinking about leaving the drain until I looked at the setup that the RS's and non AC tegs have which dont use a drain. I figured if it was good enough for Honda to skip on the drain I should be alright.

Lol if you weren't so skinny I'd say go on a diet and drop some weight off the driver. Good work though man I remember deleting all that stuff off my first and second teg. Ac ps cc abs airbags spares lol it makes things a lot easier to work on with nothing in the way but I can say this ill never delete ac again lol I like it way to much now.

Yeah this is one driver that doesnt have much weight to spare haha. The extra room under the hood is definitely nice and is much easier to work on. If the teg was daily driven I would have thought a little harder about keeping the A/C but for a car that only gets driven on the weekends (hasnt even been that often lately) I decided I could pass on the luxury items.

Head gasket finally gets delivered tomorrow! :biggrin:

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
i'm now catching up here. good use of the time while you wait on the HG.
Nice work on the weight reduction.
So what did you end up doing with the canister hose? tuck down underneath?

By the way, I think it'll be the Seahawks & Broncos at the SB this year.

·
Premium Member
4,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #817
i'm now catching up here. good use of the time while you wait on the HG.
Nice work on the weight reduction.
So what did you end up doing with the canister hose? tuck down underneath?

By the way, I think it'll be the Seahawks & Broncos at the SB this year.
For the canister hose I originally just plugged it but after researching I found that it needs to stay open and relocated to somewhere safe. Havent relocated it yet but I will be sure to do that next time im out there.

The Seahawks without a doubt will be in the Super Bowl this year :cool:

801 - 820 of 2483 Posts