Team Integra Forums banner

741 - 760 of 2483 Posts

·
The Enforcer!
5,802 Posts
Word is bond
Ill keep you posted. I'm in the process of installing my oil cooler system, just waiting on parts

·
Registered
5,462 Posts
I'm curious to why you don't like the prelude fittings? I've used them on both my b20v setup and my lsv-t setup and never had one problem with them at all.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
The Enforcer!
5,802 Posts
They work yes, but you can't attach an AN fitting to it. Mine work just fine but I think it's time for me to buckle down and get the right stuff I need for my car. I haven't updated my stuff in a long while but I have something's coming in soon.

·
Premium Member
4,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #744
So yesterday I started working on my DIY catch can. Heres what I picked up:

Heres what it looks like now. Just waiting for the JB weld to finish drying completely before I sand it down and paint. Forgot to put the lid in the pic but that has a straight fitting on it similar to a PCV valve but without the valve part.

·
Administrator
43,014 Posts
From my thread:

Guess ill have to start planning next years trip lol. Only 11 1/2 more months to go!
I know you are doing a bunch of stuff over the catch can and what not, I'm wondering if you may be able to avoid sandwich plate silly-ness by piping in out and in lines somewhere in the oil path *now* while you are doing what you are doing now

·
Premium Member
4,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #746
Where would I run the lines from? For the oil cooler I would need a sandwich plate with the thermostat so it wouldnt constantly be flowing especially during winter. Do you know of a sandwich plate with a thermostat and 3 ports on it? Might possibly be adding a oil temp gauge as well in the future so I may need 4.

·
Administrator
43,014 Posts
I'm not sure to be honest about the lines since I've never messed with a catch can (I'm not even 100% sure what it does to be honest, lol), I was just throwing that out there in case some of those places on the block could be utilized in leu of a sandwich plate

For the thermostat, "Mocal" is pretty much "the" one to have from my earlier research (like this one)

Just to note, and you probably already know/read it, the Flexi-lite kit that i run comes with a basic thermo built in....

For oil temps, which you definitely want to "see" what the cooler is doing, obviously tapping the pan is the best spot, or a second plate..... I know I am running stacked plates and it's working, but in the back of my mind, i just simply don't trust it long term....

I will warn you about something with these parts and gauges, and integratuner77 and I talked about this while up at the Dragon, having gauges like Oil Temp and Oil Pressure is nice to have to see what's going on, but damn, they make driving a downright paranoia-filled experience.... I'd almost like the "out of sight, out of mind" of *not* having those gauges sometimes... ok, a lot of times

·
Premium Member
4,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #748
After looking at the setup that Sik98gsr posted on your thread I think I might be going with that setup instead. It costs a little bit more but uses the Mocal plate plus braided stainless lines which I would feel more comfortable with running the longer distance. http://www.team-integra.net/forum/20-your-integra/98252-running-log-morningzs-gsr-274.html#post2776097

I guess the oil temp gauge wouldnt be needed since I would have to assume that the OEM oil cooler and the aftermarket oil cooler together should be enough to keep the oil temps under control.

·
Administrator
43,014 Posts
After looking at the setup that Sik98gsr posted on your thread I think I might be going with that setup instead.
more power to you (and your wallet, lol)...

I would have loved to go with stainless lines and AN fittings, but sometimes one has to set the $$ limit somewhere....

hmmm, the OEM oil cooler adapter is huuuuge if I remember correctly, i wonder if it's size will come into play with another sandwich plate in the mix

·
Premium Member
4,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #750
Yeah its a bit more money to go with the stainless lines and AN fittings. I think it will be worth it especially considering how important oil is for the motor and how far it will be traveling. The less chance of leaks/cracked hoses the better.

The OEM oil cooler isnt too large but does add a bit of length to the mix. I guess on a good note though adding another sandwich plate will make it even easier to reach the oil filter from the top lol

(Random pic I found online)

·
Administrator
43,014 Posts
Just in case you need more room to work with, you could always use an alternative filter.... the filter that I use is actually for a late-80's Dodge Caravan of all things, lol....

just something to keep in mind :)

·
Premium Member
4,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #756
So I checked the tracking number on my block fittings from Honda and they will arrive tomorrow. Already ordered my hex socket set which includes the 14mm needed and a 34.3mm freeze plug from Autozone which will be ready for pickup tomorrow. The part number for the freeze plug is 555-104.1 if anyone needs to know.

The only thing missing is the mounting hardware for the catch can. Havent looked too much into it yet but I got a pretty good idea on what I need. Im sure after a trip to Lowes ill have what I need.

Pretty excited to get the beast back on the road. She hasnt been started or driven since the Dragon Run trip.

·
The Enforcer!
5,802 Posts
did you the freeze plug you have to tap into place? i used lock tite on mine when i installed it

·
Premium Member
4,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #759
Got the catch can installed today. The only issue that I might have is that when I made the catch can the guide that I was using said to use 3/8 fittings for the can so I did. I planned the whole setup using 3/8 even the hoses. When I received my block fittings today the barbs were a bit larger so the 3/8 hose wouldnt even fit onto the barb fittings. Ran to Autozone and picked up some bigger hose (either 1/2 or 9/16 I dont remember) and used that. The bigger hose doesnt exactly fit snug on the 3/8 barb fittings that are on the can so I used 2 hose clamps which should hopefully help with any leaks.

Anyways I got everything put back together, catch can installed and started the car for just a few seconds to check for fuel leaks since I removed the intake manifold.

My plan in the future is to pull the catch can and replace the 3/8 fittings with larger ones to match the block fittings. Well see how it holds up tomorrow morning when I finally take the car for a drive.

Heres the pics:

Found this bracket in my box of random pieces leftover from who knows what. Used this bracket to hang the catch can on.

Another random piece I found. Pretty sure it has something to do with the factory intake system. I used this as a cushion/grip for the hose clamp to go around the catch can which then hangs on the bracket. Should help keep the can from slipping and keep some paint on it.

First stop tomorrow is the car wash to wash off all the bugs from the Dragon Run return trip. Pretty sure most of them are from the east coast.

741 - 760 of 2483 Posts