Team Integra Forums banner

721 - 740 of 2483 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #721
Oil cooler:
===============
Found the post on your build thread with the pics of the oil cooler installed. Looks like a pretty good kit. Price isnt bad at all either. I will add this to my shopping list.

Summer tires:
===============
Yeah those kept popping up in the tire threads I was researching. It will probably be a bit until I get to the tire/rim part but hopefully before the end of the year. Already got a set of rims in mind just need to figure out what size/offset to go with.

Catch can:
==================
Ill check it out

·
Premium Member
4,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #725
So it looks like the teg is parked until some work gets done to it. Today I pulled the intake manifold to see how much oil is in it and theres a bit.

So it looks the teg is parked until I at least get a catch can set up. I also called skunk2 and ordered a 70mm thermal throttle body gasket since the one that came with it was a paper one and soaked up some oil so I wont be using that one again. Im not sure if ill have the car parked until I get cams and everything else but the catch can is a must.

Havent decided which one I want yet but I think I am going to go with a vented system without the drain back. Not sure if I want to run the hoses from the valve cover or from the back of the block. Ideas?

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
Buy mine!

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
If you are going to run hoses from the back of the block I would highly recommend that you do a drain back. Actually on any catch can system if you plan to daily drive it or put lots of miles on it like cross country I would do the drain back system. Under heavy acceleration with the ports on the back the oil can slosh up into the catch can and fill it up fast. Previous to having my drain back I filled up my catch can on one dyno pull. To drain it back I just have the return line T-ed into one of the lines coming off the back of the block.

To start I would go with a catch can connected to the two ports on the back of the block. Its an easier install as it does not require modifying the valve cover. As far as options there are tons, just depends on how much money you want to spend. You can do it on the cheaper side with barbed fittings and an aluminum catch can off of ebay. Even cheaper yet, make your own catch can from an aluminum water bottle (there is a DIY floating around somewhere). Orrr you can go expensive and get something like Kamikaze has, a nice welded aluminum catch with AN fittings. The choice is really up to you.

Mike

·
Premium Member
4,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #729
If you are going to run hoses from the back of the block I would highly recommend that you do a drain back. Actually on any catch can system if you plan to daily drive it or put lots of miles on it like cross country I would do the drain back system. Under heavy acceleration with the ports on the back the oil can slosh up into the catch can and fill it up fast. Previous to having my drain back I filled up my catch can on one dyno pull. To drain it back I just have the return line T-ed into one of the lines coming off the back of the block.

To start I would go with a catch can connected to the two ports on the back of the block. Its an easier install as it does not require modifying the valve cover. As far as options there are tons, just depends on how much money you want to spend. You can do it on the cheaper side with barbed fittings and an aluminum catch can off of ebay. Even cheaper yet, make your own catch can from an aluminum water bottle (there is a DIY floating around somewhere). Orrr you can go expensive and get something like Kamikaze has, a nice welded aluminum catch with AN fittings. The choice is really up to you.

Mike
Thanks for the reply.

So if I was going to do the block route with drain back I would:
*Get the 2 barbed fittings (like shown in the pic below) Run a hose from both of those to the catch can
*Run a line from the bottom of the catch can and T it to one of the two hoses for the drain back
*The factory breather box gets removed and the port coming off the block gets capped off using a freeze plug
*The line going from the breather box to the intake manifold gets capped
*The factory valve cover port gets a breather filter attached
*Catch can gets a filter attached to the top of it

Does this sound correct? I was looking at the DIY guide and it doesnt look too bad. I might try that and see how it works out.

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
That is correct, but for the factory valve cover port you can route that back into the intake. With the new upgraded catch can system you shouldn't be getting a whole lot of blow by.

·
Premium Member
4,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #732
Any new discoveries besides pulling the intake manifold??
Eh not really. Havent dug into anything besides just pulling the manifold yet. Im thinking I might just get the catch can for now and wait until I get some more money before doing everything else.

Heres the plan though:

Stage 1:
*Install catch can setup

Stage 2:
*Skunk2 Pro2 cams
*Upgraded oil cooler
*Pull head and verify everything looks good
*Port match intake manifold to throttle body
*Get injectors cleaned and flow tested
*Tune!

Stage 3:
*Summer set of tires/rims

·
Premium Member
4,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #734
So I placed my order for the Honda parts needed for the catch can. Came out to like $25 with upgraded shipping which wasnt too bad.

Part numbers:

I read that the freeze plug needed to plug the hole from the breather box is available at any parts store so ill pick that up this weekend. Ill also be picking up some hex sockets from Harbor Freight to get the factory plugs out.

Ill probably head out and figure out how much room I have for the oil cooler and see if ill have any room to add an extra radiator fan on the drivers side.

·
The Enforcer!
5,802 Posts
I wouldn't use the Honda fittings that came off a prelude. I'm using them currently and I can't wait to stop using them. I have a set of 10an block fittings if your interested.

·
The Enforcer!
5,802 Posts
They don't leak at all but how can say it, theyre not the right fittings for the job. I have zero issues with mine but I'm switching my catch can setup all together and going with a system that sits where my battery is at. Also, are you going with a drain back setup?

·
Premium Member
4,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #738
Oh gotcha. Yeah I am kinda doing this on a budget so for now the fittings should work enough to get me by. Plus I still have no idea where im mounting the can and rubber hose is cheap so relocating the can to somewhere else wont be hard.

At first I wasnt planning on a drain back setup but decided that it would be better for a car like mine that does see long trips once in a while. The last thing I want to worry about when on a trip is draining the catch can. Do you have drain back on your setup?

·
The Enforcer!
5,802 Posts
I have a drain back but the new system I'm going with will eliminate it. Going with vented valve cover and using he block fittings as well. The fittings I have I'll sale for cheap because spoolin performance sent me two sets on accident. Just let me know

·
Premium Member
4,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #740
I have a drain back but the new system I'm going with will eliminate it. Going with vented valve cover and using he block fittings as well. The fittings I have I'll sale for cheap because spoolin performance sent me two sets on accident. Just let me know
Nice id like to see pics when you get the new set up installed. Ill let you know about the block fittings though

721 - 740 of 2483 Posts