Team Integra Forums banner

641 - 660 of 2483 Posts

·
Registered
412 Posts
So I just received my throttle body back from Skunk2. I thought they were sending a new one but they sent me my old one back. Still has my TPS installed on it so hopefully I wont have to recalibrate it but I will double check it. They should have installed a stronger spring in it so we will see how it turns out.

I wanted to install it tonight but of course I just had to catch a cold...in July. :rolleyes: So right now the hot muggy garage seems like the worst place to be. I will definitely be installing it tomorrow though.
GET THAT THING ON THERE! No but Im sick too, it sucks

·
Premium Member
4,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #649
So I put some slight tension on the throttle cable so the throttle body plate is slightly open just enough to run and I started to unplug sensors like Integra22t said to try. When I started the car up I noticed that the IACV was making a humming noise so I unplugged it and the sound stopped. I plugged it back in and the sound started again. Is this normal? I was thinking maybe since I swapped it out that the coolant hasnt quite made it into the IACV yet?

·
Registered
134 Posts
Are you tuned on hondata S300? Some of the symptoms you're having specially the humming noise coming from the IACV I had before the actual s300 died on my ecu. Had to send the ecu to hondata to get it fixed.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Have you tried troubleshooting your IACV/FITV by blocking the holes in the throttle body with your fingers after the motor has warmed up? Does it just completely stall out? Does nothing happen? Does the idle variate? It should stay running while warm with both holes blocked.

I also once shorted out my secondary o2 and it blew a fuse which controlled my dimmer, speed sensor and a couple other things. It sounded like it was at base idle, don't really remember all that happened. Maybe try checking your speed sensor and o2 sensor. You've checked the timing right? I can't think of anything else really, I remember a build thread on Honda-Tech that came into an issue sorta similar but I really doubt that would be your issue here lol..

Muckman’s Integra High Compression Super Build - Page 20 - Honda-Tech

·
Premium Member
4,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #653
No I havent tried covering the holes on the throttle body. I have the Skunk2 which doesnt have a FITV but I will try the IACV tomorrow. If both holes are blocked how does air get into the motor to keep it idling?

Speed sensor worked last time I drove it. Timing has been checked and looked good. I really hope that I dont have the same issue as Muck lol.

I got the car all ready so I can drive it and troubleshoot it motor once it warms up. Hopefully I can find something

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
I don't think that's what it is... I would dare say after reading through the thread that Muck's motor probably ran fine until it blew up. If you hold the throttle down will it idle then? Might want to check the dizzy coil. I always say that as your last hoo-ra.. I had mine go out while the car was running at the "builder's shop" Freakiest thing I've ever seen but of course it is my car after all.

·
Registered
376 Posts
So I thought my coil was out of spec but then I replaced the batteries in my meter and it checks out. Everything in the dizzy is in spec and almost in the middle of the range for each test.
I'd definitely look at the IACV. And give the idle screw a look. Not sure how it's setup on the skunk2's. I know some of them are like the stock ones and others are over on the throttle "wheel" where the cable attaches.

·
Premium Member
4,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #656
I don't think that's what it is... I would dare say after reading through the thread that Muck's motor probably ran fine until it blew up. If you hold the throttle down will it idle then? Might want to check the dizzy coil. I always say that as your last hoo-ra.. I had mine go out while the car was running at the "builder's shop" Freakiest thing I've ever seen but of course it is my car after all.
I tested the coil yesterday and it was in spec. Is it possible to be bad after passing the resistance test?

I'd definitely look at the IACV. And give the idle screw a look. Not sure how it's setup on the skunk2's. I know some of them are like the stock ones and others are over on the throttle "wheel" where the cable attaches.
I checked the idle screw and it is backed out as much as it can go.

·
Registered
189 Posts
No I havent tried covering the holes on the throttle body. I have the Skunk2 which doesnt have a FITV but I will try the IACV tomorrow. If both holes are blocked how does air get into the motor to keep it idling?

Speed sensor worked last time I drove it. Timing has been checked and looked good. I really hope that I dont have the same issue as Muck lol.

I got the car all ready so I can drive it and troubleshoot it motor once it warms up. Hopefully I can find something
When I cover the IACV hole on my throttle body it idles down to the base idle of 500, however when it's cold it will stall out because the adjustment of the throttle plate isn't enough to keep it running without the IACV.

A stock motor should run at 500rpm when warmed up with the IACV(and FITV if you have one) blocked. I've used this to troubleshoot a couple cars with idling issues and it basically eliminates the IACV/FITV as causing the issue. However with your aftermarket throttle body/intake mani, I can't say what should actually be spec as there's a certain spec for the stock throttle body and yours isn't stock. I would attempt to set the throttle body to spec or warm up the motor and adjust the stop screw so that it idles at 500rpm without the IACV. If it still refuses to idle that means that there's an issue with something else.

I'm not positive on what your motor having been tuned changes from stock since I've heard of motors being tuned to idle at different rpms and what not. I know hardly any of the specifics about tuning so I couldn't say if "spec" will work with your tune.

What happened to Muck's motor is far from anything which would probably happen in yours. I highly doubt that anything like that could have happened. I merely brought it up as often as hard/confusing/stubborn issues are often gone about in the wrong way and it's always important to consider all possible causes.

641 - 660 of 2483 Posts