Team Integra Forums banner

601 - 620 of 2483 Posts

·
Registered
4,783 Posts
yeah, its pretty safe to assume its the IACV. locally ive been talking to a few friends, they have had no issues with unplugging the iacv, and then rerouting the coolant hoses around it just bypassing the IACV all together. im pretty sure im going to do that myself. a new IACV is ungodly, and used ones are really hit or miss. most IACVs that i have seen are on their way out. But i did just pick one up w my new IM and i was told that it was a good working IACV. so i guess time will tell (when i put the IM on that is)

·
Premium Member
4,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #605
So I tried another IACV and still wont start on its own. Once I give it some gas it runs but then dies right after I let off. Any other ideas on what it could be?

I have the idle screw backed out all the way to about where it looks like its going to come out.

A week before the dragon is not when I want issues like this :icon_twisted:

·
Registered
166 Posts
I have never heard of having to have the plate open to idle....Im gonna guess a sensor of the sort causing this, Normally the culprit is always the IACV.Im gonna keep doing some research man ill text ya when i get more ideas.

·
Premium Member
4,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #609
I was thinking it could maybe be the MAP sensor but tried another one and got the same results. If all else fails I will go ahead and setup the throttle body so its open slightly.

My Skunk2 throttle body should be tomorrow but I will be out of town until Tuesday so I can install it then and see what happens. I think with the Skunk2 throttle body it will do the same thing. If I get off work early this week I might take it to the shop who tuned my car and see if they have any ideas on what it could be.

·
Registered
412 Posts
A second set of eyes come in handy, good luck man. Im in the same boat as far as ”uncertainty” right before the dragon. All I'm waiting on now is a tune and hopefully nothing blows up lol

·
Registered
189 Posts
Well when the idle screw is set correctly you should be able to troubleshoot the IACV/FITV by covering the holes in the throttlebody in front of the throttle plate when warmed up completely and the idle should be at 500. If it's above you would a vac leak, below/stall would be sensors or something like that.

I once cleaned my IACV, throttle body and sprayed a bunch of carb cleaner into the intake manifold, it kinda reacted like what you're experiencing but after beating on it for 20 minutes it fixed it's self. I don't think you'd have to adjust your throttle plate very much at all if any if it was idling good after your tune.

I'd set the throttle plate back to stock spec if not just a bit more. Check wiring and wiggle some stuff around, check timing, check everywhere for vacuum leaks especially the throttle body and check the fuel pressure I suppose. I'd also try turning the A/C on and seeing what happens since that raises the idle to see how the IACV reacts.

·
Premium Member
4,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #612
Well when the idle screw is set correctly you should be able to troubleshoot the IACV/FITV by covering the holes in the throttlebody in front of the throttle plate when warmed up completely and the idle should be at 500. If it's above you would a vac leak, below/stall would be sensors or something like that.

I once cleaned my IACV, throttle body and sprayed a bunch of carb cleaner into the intake manifold, it kinda reacted like what you're experiencing but after beating on it for 20 minutes it fixed it's self. I don't think you'd have to adjust your throttle plate very much at all if any if it was idling good after your tune.

I'd set the throttle plate back to stock spec if not just a bit more. Check wiring and wiggle some stuff around, check timing, check everywhere for vacuum leaks especially the throttle body and check the fuel pressure I suppose. I'd also try turning the A/C on and seeing what happens since that raises the idle to see how the IACV reacts.
It was idling just fine after the tune. About a week after the tune I started getting this issue. I am beginning to think the issue isnt with the throttle body or IACV.

Are there any sensors that could have went bad that could be causing this issue where the car doesnt want to start on its own?
*Ive tried another IACV
*Tried another MAP sensor
*TPS has been calibrated
*There is no CEL

Ill check the timing when I get home tomorrow. I looked at the cam gears and they were still inline with each other didnt check the crank though. I cant turn on the AC yet since I just replaced one of the hoses and the system is empty.

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
Do you have access to another TPS that is on a known running car that you could swap over? I know you calibrated this one but TPS sensors seem to be quite the "wear item" from reading through our forums lately lol.

I would second a double checking of the wiring at all sensors on the IM/TB.

Are the plugs gapped to the proper specs?

·
Premium Member
4,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #614
This is actually a different TPS. I forgot to remove my other one from the throttle body when I sent it in to Skunk2. They are going to be sending my old one back. The TPS I have on the car right now is the one that came with it from the factory. It worked just fine on my other motor.

I double checked the wiring on the sensors and they look good. I believe the only sensors I have are IACV, MAP and IAT (I think thats what its called).

I am pretty sure the spark plugs are gapped correctly. I bought them from my tuner and he installed them right before my tune. I would hope the tuner gapped them correctly but I will double check.

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
Did you run a range colder or you running the oem ones? I ran a colder range in mine it was not really mandatory but told it wouldn't hurt.

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
Yeah I was just asking don't really need it, don't thinking it's going to support your idling issue. I'm still thinking it's the tps honestly. I tried one from a working car, and a brand new one out of the box still did the same thing, it ended up being that 95mach5 had to remove those brass fittings that go around where the bolt goes into the tb to attach it to the intake manifold. Might want to take one of the spare ones and do that and get it completely calibrated. One other thing I wanted to ask you, is did you upgrade to bigger cams?

·
Premium Member
4,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #619
So ive been researching nonstop on the issue. Almost all of the threads lead back to the TPS or IACV. Next thing I am going to check is voltage to the TPS and IACV and also the continuity for those sensors to the ECU could possibly be a loose connection. Im out of town for work tonight but will be home tomorrow so I can continue troubleshooting.

Still no sight of the throttle body from Skunk2 which should have came Friday. I emailed them for tracking info. My friend did sandblast my valve cover today so I can get that painted this weekend.

One week until I leave for the trip....hopefully!

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
I figured you had already tested those with a volt meter.. Definitely the next step! faulty wiring of either of those sensors will definitely causes issues.

601 - 620 of 2483 Posts