Team Integra Forums banner

481 - 500 of 2483 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #481
Does it die out if you don't hold the gas pedal down? Sounds like what my car had started doing. It'd start, then immediately die. The only way it ran was with me blipping the throttle... Mine was fixed by a lot of things though, should make a video...
What it did was I would try starting it and it would start for a second and then it would die. I did this a few times until I decided to give it a little gas. Once I gave it a little gas it would run until I let go of the gas. I decided to hold the gas pedal down until it got to operating temp and then I let the gas pedal go and it idled by itself really low like around 3-400 but it idled. Once I drove it down the street it started idling like it should which was around 8-900. Drove fine after that.

Im not sure if it will do it again but if it does ill be sure to take a video.

I took a look at the motor last night but wasnt really sure where to even start. Checked the basic things but theres no CELs, oil looks good, coolant is good, timing is set correctly, double checked that my adjustable cam gears didnt slip, and all sensors are plugged in. Anybody have anything I should take a look at? To me it sounds like something fuel related but am not really sure.

·
Premium Member
4,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #482
Could it be an issue with the throttle cable/plate? I only ask because you said your were waiting on a cable holder and it sounds fuel related but I'm assuming the injectors are good since the tune went fine. Could you have someone hit the throttle while you watch to see if the plate is moving with? Or maybe since it only idles right after warm up could it be a iacv issue? Checked ignition/plugs blah blah Idk man I'm just spit ballin lol, sorry your having problems but atleast you have a month to get it figured out.
Yeah I am having issues with the cable holder but thats only when im driving and then go into neutral. It will idle high like around 1300 until I blip the throttle and then it drops down to where it should be. I think the cable is just binding since its at a weird angle with the throttle body right now. When I first got it running I pulled the throttle cable off and revved it up a couple times on the throttle body and it idled great without sticking at all so I know the cable needs to get fixed.

I just called Edelbrock and they said my throttle cable holder shipped out Wednesday. Im guessing that it will be here today or tomorrow at the latest.

·
Registered
4,783 Posts
are you using a skunk2 tb? the skunk2 tb is notorious for sticking.

to me it sounds like youre having air/fuel issues. which i would connect to your tb. it have you adjusted the idle screw on the tb once u get it to idle? see if anything changes? you could pull the iacv plug and see if anything changes. it may need a cleaning

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
That was my 2nd thought. I actually had a video of what my car did sounds similar but it was of course my TPS. After all the headache and everything that I went through lol, I'd say try making sure that the TPS is calibrated. Just for starters could be something like that, do you have a wideband to check what your a/f's are when you're driving?

·
Registered
4,783 Posts
Just remember KISS when diagnosing this. I would not suspect something as extreme as an "air/fuel issue" or a TPS sensor..

Currently you are aware that you have throttle cable issues. I would get that sorted out first, because it is likely your problem. S2 has had issues with the throttle body sticking, which is also something to look into.

I had issues with my GSR throttle body when I did my LS/VTEC swap, and once I got the proper mounting bracket and throttle cable, the issues stopped. They were similar to yours. Idling low, randomly idling high after driving. Remember that if your car idles "low enough" it will act like it doesn't want to run, because it literally can't if the idle is set too low (whether intentionally or because of a faulty TB/cable/bracket).

All I am saying is get the throttle body/cable/bracket situation squared away first.
you realize the throttle cable would cause an "air/fuel issue" right? thats kinda what i meant by that, you arent getting enough air, so the afr is off.....

·
Premium Member
4,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #487
are you using a skunk2 tb? the skunk2 tb is notorious for sticking.

to me it sounds like youre having air/fuel issues. which i would connect to your tb. it have you adjusted the idle screw on the tb once u get it to idle? see if anything changes? you could pull the iacv plug and see if anything changes. it may need a cleaning
It was sticking a little but I clean it out last time I pulled it off. I did adjust the idle screw with the cable off and it idles just fine. Hopefully the holder arrives today so I can cross the cable off the list. It seems like the IACV is working since it idles correctly when cold/warmed up.

That was my 2nd thought. I actually had a video of what my car did sounds similar but it was of course my TPS. After all the headache and everything that I went through lol, I'd say try making sure that the TPS is calibrated. Just for starters could be something like that, do you have a wideband to check what your a/f's are when you're driving?
I tried calibrating the TPS but couldnt get the numbers low enough to make the .48 with the TB closed or high enough to get the 4.5. Last time I checked it I was about .52 closed and 4.20 open. Ill have to check it again when the cable holder arrives.

Is it ok to calibrate it without the throttle cable but just by rotating the throttle body pulley?

I dont have a wideband either

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
That's what I would do, but seeing as Dustin's response (just kidding btw) was that's an extreme.... ;) You may have to do like I did and remove those brass pieces so you can get it adjusted properly. Yeah I didn't have mine connected because I was changing out TB's... I would definitely look to get a wideband since you have a tuned car now. Also being that you'll be going cross country, it'd be nice to know you aren't leaning out in a situation.

·
Premium Member
4,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #489
By brass pieces you mean the ones located on the channels of the TPS that the mounting screws go, correct? I also noticed that on the Skunk2 throttle body the tab that spins with the throttle plate has a screw where it looks like you can adjust it. Has anyone ever needed to adjust this before?

Ill look into the wideband. Ive never really looked into it before but I think it would be a good time to.

·
Registered
4,783 Posts
youll want somewhere/someway to mount it unless you want to drill a hole in the dash, but it looks like its got the wiring, the sensor and the gauge, so youre set there

·
Registered
412 Posts
Yeah, innovative makes good products. I'm going to be installing an AEM Uego on mine and it was a lot cheaper on ebay/amazon (can't remember I'll have to look it up) but I paid like 180 shipped

·
Registered
412 Posts
I see it now, little bit cheaper for sure lol. And I picked up a single gauge pod on amazon for like ten bucks. Its secured by double sided tape

·
Premium Member
4,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #496
If you buy an Innovate kit I would suggest the MTX-L. Usually can be had for a very fair price from Amazon. Currently $170 shipped.

Amazon.com: Innovate Motorsports 3844 MTX-L Complete All-In-One Air/Fuel Ratio Gauge Kit: Automotive
That one looks pretty good.

I found it on ebay for $155 shipped :biggrin:
Innovate MTX L Digital Wideband Air Fuel Gauge Kit Wide Band Wideband O2 Sensor | eBay

I think ill be buying it right now.

Also got a package from Edelbrock.

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
By brass pieces you mean the ones located on the channels of the TPS that the mounting screws go, correct? I also noticed that on the Skunk2 throttle body the tab that spins with the throttle plate has a screw where it looks like you can adjust it. Has anyone ever needed to adjust this before?

Ill look into the wideband. Ive never really looked into it before but I think it would be a good time to.
Yes sir, that's exactly what I'm talking about. With my TB there was no way possible to get to the 4.5 without removing it. It's something that 95mach5 came up with, but it's solved a boatload of my issues.

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
I simply removed my cruise control and dimmer switches, 2 switches which I never use. Dremel it out and my AEM Wideband UEGO fits snuggly in there as well as my Prosport Oil PSI gauge.

Mine are where the two lower gauges sit, I didn't want to block my fuel or my temp gauges thats the only reason I didn't go with the pod. And I did have a pillar before but I don't want to give anyone any reason to look inside my car.

·
Premium Member
4,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #499
It doesnt look too bad. I might got that route since I cant even remember the last time I wanted to dim the dash lights lol.

I was thinking about the pods that go on the pillar but that definitely draws attention to your car when driving especially at night when cops are out.

Just ordered that kit that I posted above. Hopefully Ill get it before the weekend so I can install it but well see.

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
The innovative kit is nice. I wouldn't say I recommend any brand over another as long as it isn't anything APC or a sweeping gauge that doesn't give you a display. The only thing with the drilling is your car is going to be a mess with the crap that comes off the dash but a shopvac and you're done. Yeah I mean for safety sake and everything else that's why I didn't buy anything that would really stand out unless you're really looking at my car and from the outside I think I'm good with that lol.

481 - 500 of 2483 Posts