Team Integra Forums banner

381 - 400 of 2483 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #382
um YESSS!

On a more serious note.. 12:1 is probably a no go on pump gas (especially since you are driving across the country this summer, not all places offer 93, some only 91). Swapping the pistons to get back to 11:1 would be ideal.

Also that intake shifts the powerband super high in the RPM range. An OEM R or Skunk2 mani might be better suited, and a smaller TB. Not sure on the difference between CTR and ITR cams but I can't imagine it being huge (big enough to want to change them out).
I didnt think about the issue with the gas but yeah that will definitely need to be fixed if its too high for pump gas. Can anyone else confirm this?

For the intake manifold thats not really that big of a deal I can always buy a different one and sell that one.

sorry to hear about the engine troubles... but, this engine list sounds great, good parts used in the build.
Yeah to me it looks like a pretty quality list but my only issue would be the type of gas needed for it.

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
I didnt think about the issue with the gas but yeah that will definitely need to be fixed if its too high for pump gas. Can anyone else confirm this?

For the intake manifold thats not really that big of a deal I can always buy a different one and sell that one.

Yeah to me it looks like a pretty quality list but my only issue would be the type of gas needed for it.
I would hope me being down that road (although I never built it, the research was done) is confirmation enough. You are using "12:1 JEs". I don't know if JE factors in the flat faced valves or not but they will certainly bump compression even more.

You could always have it tuned with less timing, but You would then be at the power level of an engine with about 11:1 compression.. Making the 12:1's useless really (on pump gas).

Just be sure that tune is VERY conservative. Reason being: On a cross country trip you will be getting gas from a 1000 different locations. At 12:1+ you will need every bit of reassurance.

·
Premium Member
4,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #384
I would hope me being down that road (although I never built it, the research was done) is confirmation enough. You are using "12:1 JEs". I don't know if JE factors in the flat faced valves or not but they will certainly bump compression even more.

You could always have it tuned with less timing, but You would then be at the power level of an engine with about 11:1 compression.. Making the 12:1's useless really (on pump gas).

Just be sure that tune is VERY conservative. Reason being: On a cross country trip you will be getting gas from a 1000 different locations. At 12:1+ you will need every bit of reassurance.
Its not that I dont believe you its just that its nice to hear confirmation from a few people before making an important decision like this.

The tuning idea does sound good. I will be sure that when the time comes for tuning I will let him know about the long trip and to tune it that way. Now that I think about it I dont think we have 93 here. Im pretty sure its 92. There are a couple places that sell racing fuel but thats about it.

If I did get this motor it will be a bit cheaper than building mine up since Ill have my old motor I could sell or part out when its out.

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
Its not that I dont believe you its just that its nice to hear confirmation from a few people before making an important decision like this.

The tuning idea does sound good. I will be sure that when the time comes for tuning I will let him know about the long trip and to tune it that way. Now that I think about it I dont think we have 93 here. Im pretty sure its 92. There are a couple places that sell racing fuel but thats about it.

If I did get this motor it will be a bit cheaper than building mine up since Ill have my old motor I could sell or part out when its out.
I would talk it over with your tuner and see how "safe" that would be. It will for sure get put through it's paces on the Dragon. But it's a solid build for sure and a more aggressive tune could be put on it once you return.

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
Ugh... I don't know about 12:1 not being able to be run on pump gas... Ketu's motor was higher on the compression ratio around 12.4-6 and he ran it on pump gas. With those valves being flat face, that bumps up the compression also, the best thing you can do in this situation is run a thicker headgasket if the compression is your main concern. I would do that just for piece of mind if you're that concerned. My motor is running 11.8:1 pistons, same valves, but my head has been shaved some odd thousandths and you best believe its going to be run on pump gas.

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
Ugh... I don't know about 12:1 not being able to be run on pump gas... Ketu's motor was higher on the compression ratio around 12.4-6 and he ran it on pump gas. With those valves being flat face, that bumps up the compression also, the best thing you can do in this situation is run a thicker headgasket if the compression is your main concern. I would do that just for piece of mind if you're that concerned. My motor is running 11.8:1 pistons, same valves, but my head has been shaved some odd thousandths and you best believe its going to be run on pump gas.
I kind of need to rephrase what I first said. Its not that it won't run, but you will have to detune it to avoid knock. All that does is limit power with more "retard" on the ignition. What I don't know about is any bad affects from running it like that. Honestly the cruise to and from the west coast is the part that is easy on the engine. I suggested talking to the tuner because he would know more about the affects of driving the engine hard on that tune.

Half joking, There is 100 octane available at the foot hills of the Dragon lolz, bring a second "Dragon tune"

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
Basically that's all going to rely on the tune. In your situation I'd say it'd be best to speak with the tuner and let him know the primary goals, and also what you're looking to get out of the car. Let him know once a year you go to the mountains to the Dragon run but primarily it's your daily. I'd say that's your best bet.

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
Yeah I will definitely talk to the tuner and see what he thinks. Thanks for all the help guys! Just a little curious but would upgrading my injectors and fuel pump be a good idea for this motor as well?
It will probably need it for an aggressive tune, but for the first tune the stock stuff would probably be fine. A bigger injector will run at a lower duty cycle, which helps with reliability. Nothing over kill tho, 310s would be plenty sufficient. Walbro 255 pumps can be found on the cheap as well. Infact I think there is one in the F/S section.

·
Premium Member
4,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #392
Alright ill probably just hold off on the injectors and fuel pump until later then. Probably until I start making some money back from my old motor. Im gonna check out the motor this weekend but I am pretty sure ill end up getting it. Not too sure but should hopefully have the money to purchase it within a few weeks. It will also be a good time to replace my motor mounts like I have been thinking about doing.

·
Premium Member
4,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #396
Just took a look at the new motor and everything looks good. He said he would hold onto it for me until I got the money. Im planning on picking it up in probably a few weeks if everything goes to plan. I am also about to order a Hondata thermal intake manifold gasket tonight since it needs one and I dont want to use a stock one since they are a pain to remove. Pretty excited to get the motor and get the car back on the road.

I also received my package from Mishimoto on the replacement parts for the fan mounting kit. I was expecting just a couple of the small pieces I need but nope they ended up just sending me a whole new fan mounting kit. Mishimoto definitely gets a :thumbs_up: from me.

·
Premium Member
4,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #397
So ive been thinking and it looks like I should probably sell one of my many toys to fund the Teg/Dragon Run. So tomorrow ill be doing a tune up on my quad (Yamaha YFZ450 for those that are into quads) then posting it for sale. At least ill still have my Honda Ruckus:biggrin: The going price for the quad is more than I thought so the motor for the teg should be coming sooner than expected and if it sells for as much as I think it will the larger injectors/fuel pump and tuning time will be covered.

Im also about to order some OEM parts for the new motor: cap/rotor, valve cover gasket and spark plug tube seals. I cant wait for the new motor! Im the type of person that likes to always be doing something to my car and when I cant it drives me crazy! Im thinking about just pulling my old motor and cleaning up the bay or anything else that needs to be done so when the new motor comes it will be ready to install.

·
Premium Member
4,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #398
Just went and talked to the guy that will be tuning my car and said the high compression of the new motor wont be a problem. Just waiting on the money for the motor. I am about to go pick up my engine hoist from storage and move that into the garage for when the time comes which is hopefully not too far away.

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
I'm with Steve, hoping you'll still have time to get it broken in fully and all the kinks out before dragon. I'm hoping for the same.

381 - 400 of 2483 Posts