Team Integra Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone!
I am in a bad situation right now and I have some questions.

I was changing my timing belt the other day and to make a long story short, I ended up chipping off a piece of the crankshaft pulley. At this point I want nothing to do with changing the timing belt any more so I call up the mechanic and then Acura to see if they have a new crankshaft pulley. The soonest they can get me one is next Tuesday.

Heres my problem: School starts Monday. School is 200 miles away. I need to drive down there this weekend!

So here is my question: Is it possible to drive that far with a chipped crankshaft pulley belt? The part that is broken is the very outside for the power steering pulley. Since the drive is all freeway I can make it without powersteering. Could my car make it down there, or would the pulley be off balance and be all bad news? Also I can go without AC for the drive, so I can take that pulley off if it puts less stress on the crank pulley. My idea is to make it down to school, then I have all the time I need to order parts and get things fixed.

I'm also frantically searching craigslist for a replacement pulley. If you or any of your friends have an extra crankshaft pulley for a 97 gsr let me know please!

THANKS!!
Kevin

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
You'll be fine. Just be sure tat the belts are tightened properly an that they are in good shape.

·
Banned
643 Posts
you chipped a piece of the actual crank pulley? if that is just the problem then you should be able to drive it with no problems. i know alot of people driving with a chipped crank pulley and they have no problems...not really big of a deal

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Dang.....that sucks. I'm not going to recommend it, but I'm sure it would be fine as long as you do not rev higher than 3K or 4K...at the most....but still I really would NOT drive THAT far...but that's just me.

Keep in mind- It's not just a pulley for A/C, P/S, and Alternator. It's also the harmonic damper that helps absorb vibrations from the rotating assembly- thus helping prevent it from destroying itself.

You should be able to go to any junkyard, and find atleast 1 other crank pulley...but getting that off without air tools, AND in a junkyard can be a severe PITA...see if they have any engines laying around, etc. Call your local speed shop as well.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the responses. Heres a picture so you get a better idea of whats wrong.

Yea since its a freeway drive, I can keep it under 4k, but I probably need to exceed 3k. And yea, I know I would have problems getting it off at a junkyard, because I broke the thing trying to get the pulley bolt off in the first place.

If anyone else has experience with this, more opinions are appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
930 Posts
I managed to do this the first time I pulled off the crank pulley because the AC idler had fallen into the crank pulley and was holding it on. Dumbass me, kept pulling on the thing, thinking it was stuck. I ended up cracking off a small section on the outside that guides the alternator belt. I got a new pulley off Ebay, but drove the car with no problems for a couple months with it like that.

Now when I take off the crank pulley, I make sure the $#@% AC idler is out of the way.

·
Registered
800 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
i just did a b20 and i have such a similar problem, i need to get a vtec solenoid before i got to cal poly SLO (220 miles), lol.

I have a crankshaft pulley off the b20/LS, but i dunno if it will get to you on time unless u wanted it overnighted.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
luckily for you that part of the pully has no affect on the dampening of it so you sill be fine you just wont have power steering.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hey RaSeNgan, I go to Cal Poly too!!

surfingsk8r, thanks for the info on the dampening, that makes me feel better.

I just put everything back together and the car runs, so at least I didn't screw things up that bad...

I've decided that unless I come across a pulley before this weekend, I'm just going to drive down and fix it later. Thanks to everyone who responded.

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
TheGSRGuy on Sep/12/07 said:
Sometimes I think Honda puts all their R&D into making engines last forever, the rest of the car is just poorly engineered. Can't even begin to tell you how many annoying design problems I've run into with my 99.

i beg to differ, the fit and finish on a cheap integra is alot better than a moderately or even some high priced american cars

how did you manage to break that piece off anyway, that pulley is pretty solid, were you not using the correct tool?

·
Registered
800 Posts
yea he used something like a vise grip and had someone hitting the brake. It's not like the pulley holder is expensive either, I dunno why people spend countless hrs using other methods. The tool was made for a reason.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
yea, believe me, I like having the right tool for the job. I actually spent like 100 bucks buying a torque wrench and a big breaker bar just for this.

The reason I didn't get the pulley holder thing is because by the time I really read the instructions, there wasn't enough time to order the thing and still change the timing belt in time to go back to school (I blame school for all of this). Also after reading online a bit, it seems like people have been able to get it off without the tool, so I thought I would give it a shot. Of course it didn't work and now I get to buy a 200 dollar pulley instead of the 30 dollar tool (then again, I'll have to get the tool ANYWAYS if I'm ever going to change it).

So listen to intergrajerzey, everyone! Get the right tools!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.