Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello
i'm not a professional driver and i've never taken nay lessons. i just know how to shift gears for manual transmission. recently i'm really interested in downhill driving.
when i drive downhill, should i try to shifit gear between 5000 to 8000 RPM since it's vtec? any advices?

my car is bone stock with 130k miles

thanks

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
haha "n" you're supposed to roll down in a low gear like second so you don't ware out the brakes as much. unless ur like racing then just drive like normal but watch out cuz ur gonna be going a hell of alot faster!

·
Registered
43 Posts
i live in CA, i believe "coasting" (going down hill in N) is illegal, i have no idea why i know that, or if it's true, its just something i remember from way back when.

i think ur supposed to shift normally but stay lower in gear so that your engine brakes for u (like 3rd will hold u at 60 and 2nd will hold u at 40, depending on the slope) and u dont have to ride your brakes; but feel free to correct me if i'm wrong

·
Registered
565 Posts
RaSeNgan on Sep/27/07 said:
i live in CA, i believe "coasting" (going down hill in N) is illegal, i have no idea why i know that, or if it's true, its just something i remember from way back when.

i think ur supposed to shift normally but stay lower in gear so that your engine brakes for u (like 3rd will hold u at 60 and 2nd will hold u at 40, depending on the slope) and u dont have to ride your brakes; but feel free to correct me if i'm wrong

it is illegal in california to coast in neutral because you are not in complete control of your car and if u need to accelerate for an emergency situation this can make the difference

i agree it is very unlikely that you will need to accelerate to avoid an accident but the risk is still there i suppose

·
Registered
982 Posts
Being in gear going down hill would help you slow down your downhill speed. Thats why coasting is probably illegal. If you notice when you are in gear going down hill your car tends to stay at the same speed unless you step on the gas increasing your speed.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
B20KidDA9 on Sep/26/07 said:
are you racing or just normal driving? if just normal driving.. **** regular man!
**** regular? lol

but yeah..id just put it in N...
but for real hows the cop gonna know that ur in neutral...unless u have an exhaust or somethin..
jeez CA is insane with these laws..

·
Registered
165 Posts
For driving normally, yes you should keep it in low gear so, that your engine will maintain your ride at certain speed. It may not decrease your gas mileage, since you are running a bit high on RPM.

For racing or doing touge, you want to keep your car at higher RPM by punching the gas pedal, and also used heel'n'toe is a must to keep your engine at high rpm. The reason for doing so is that your need the power from your engine when you cornering on downhill, since the Honda Vtec engine's power band is in the high rpm range.

PS: DO NOT DO MUCH DOWNHILL RACING WHEN YOU ARE RUNNING BoNE STOCK. SUSPENSIoN AND BRAKE UPGRADE IS A MUST.

·
Registered
565 Posts
for racing as a general rule, you want it in the power band so i would keep it in the highest gear possible, but of course there are exceptions for given conditions

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
thats how ur burn out and wear out your brakes, i never have my car in neutral when my car moving. Im always riding a gear. Because your riding on a gear, doesnt mean your using gas. its not like your WOT when your slowing down in gear.

·
Registered
4,226 Posts
It all depends what you are doing...

The OP is talking about racing downhill, in which case you are best leaving it in the powerband like 805dan suggested. If it is "slowing you down" because the slope isn't steep enough, then you should be on the gas a little not "coasting."

CA is not the only state that "coasting in N down a hill" is illegal. Last I checked TX is that way too (not that we have many hills here, at least not in Houston lol). And yes, WTF, I've never even heard of someone being accused of doing so by any person with any authority.

While it does at least make some sense, it's a silly law that can never really be enforced. So I say waste fuel going up the hill, and conserve it going back down in N!Do it for the evironment!

P.S. Being in gear at high RPM doesn't waste gas. Search for DFCO and learn.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts