Team Integra Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok my 94 integra was dripping oil on the oil pan and axle so i replaced the oil pan gasket over the weekend. it was a fun project, but i took my time and did it correctly.

it is still dripping oil, so my question is where else can oil drip from that would cause it to fall all over the pan and the pan bolts?

im thinking its the rear main seal, but i hope its not.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Same here man!!! But I noticed oil on my right side of my head dripping from behind my cam gears. I am pretty much sure its my oil seal for my cam.

I also noticed oil on my left side of my block and tranny. I have not found where that is coming from.

Advice- look all around your motor and see if any oil is covering anything and try and trace it to he origin.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Just making sure but did you torque the oil pan down correctly in the right order and to the proper torque? I had someone do mine and he just tightened it on real quick and it still dripped so afterwards I had to do the whole process again and made sure I did it in the right order and to the proper spec.

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for the replies.

there actually is oil around my cam seal, which i noticed a few weeks ago. im going to check that out too.

i think i will clean it all up and drive around. i think i have some time today.

the new gasket is on correctly. i did the criss cross and tightened them correctly. i read all of the postings on here about changing the gasket and followed everybodys input from their own experiences.

·
Registered
300 Posts
when i fixed my cam seal i bought a "performance" replacement. You see when i went to honda they had this plastic looking toy thing which they handed me and said was a cam seal..... i ordered one from a catalouge for 15 shipped its aluminum with rubber seals havent had a problem since.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Did it start dripping oil soon after an oil change by chance? My thinking is that the filter is'nt on tight enough...or that there is two gaskets still on the filter (one from the last filter that stayed on). Just a thought.

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
how easy is it to replace the cam seal?

nah its been dripping for a while now. ive done 2 oil changes since it started dripping.

that 2 gasket thing happened to me when i changed my dads oil a few weeks ago. i had about 2 quarts of oil all over the driveway..what a pain in the ass that was.

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
...on non-Vtec motors, it's not hard at all. you just have to know what to pull apart and be careful with it. Vtec motors, i'm not quite sure but i think you have to move the silenoid....

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i just looked at the article on here for the cam seal and it shows the vtec motor. i have a helms manual, so im pretty sure i can follow that for the r&r of the cam seal. i just hope thats the problem.

if any one else thinks they know what else would cause dripping all over the oil pan and its bolts, please post. so far i have changed the oil pan gasket and plan on doing the cam seal.

·
Registered
7,384 Posts

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
thanks chris. my oil is dripping from the cam seal on the distributor side and down the engine block and onto the trans too. also there is oil on my cam gear side on my drivers side axle. i think im going to replace all of the cam seals. they seem cheap enough and i have my helms manual and a decent knowledge of what im doing.

·
Registered
7,384 Posts
Yeah if you've got about 2 hours and are fairly mechanically inclined, you shouldn't have any problems.

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
so how many cam seals are there on the motor? im thinking 4, but i see 3 in the helms manual. one under each cam gear and the black one on the distibutor side. then it shows an O ring in the intake cam that goes into the distributor.

I am thinking of replacing the first 3 i mentioned.

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
if anyone has any advice or tips on changing these seals, its greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
just adding some more useful info i got from chris.

Question:

How do you see the seals on the timing belt side? I took off the valve cover when i changed the cam seal on the dist. side and didnt see them. I know you have to remove the cam gears to replace them, but is there a way to see if theyre covered with oil without removing the cam gears?

Response:

I don't recall actually seeing the seal before taking the cam gears off. I remember seeing oil and gunk all behind/inside one of the cam gears though. That's what keyed me as to which seal was leaking.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.