Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 94 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I guess it's time for me to start posting here too. Partly to have a record, and partly so I can get comments on my rants. :biggrin:

1998 DB7, purchased with 153xxx in December of 2011 after my 95 EJ1 decided it didn't want to let me fix anything any more.

OEM fogs, lip, skirts, and rear lip. Yeah, I know the driver's headlights are wet. Going to work on that soon.

Bought it with a P0420 code for bad cat. It had a 1 year old Magnaflow high flow cat on there, that was fine, but with the high flow nature and a few tens of thousands of miles on the cat, it made the system think it was going bad. Fixed with...well...fixed.

It came with Tokico blues and H&R Sports, which are nice.

It has a few spots where someone used VSM touchup paint instead of CSM. Makes a big difference. And there's a little bit of brown evidence showing up that mean a summer's worth of rust mitigation efforts. I hate bodywork, but I'm not bad at it, so I'll just gut through it.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
3,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Update, ABS threw DTC 15 this morning. Right rear wheel sensor. It figures, since I had to use a 5lb deadblow to break the snow tires loose a couple of days ago. Stupid salt on steel rims and hubs. I guess I'll spend the weekend playing with wheel sensors. Thankfully the Helms has a nice troubleshooting chart.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
3,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The days are nice, but my time has been limited with work and other projects recently. Hoping for a trip to the good carwash this weekend with a billion others. Then pictures, if I can figure out how to hide the ugly-fied front bumper from the camera (someone backed into me in the parking lot. No note, no cameras.)

·
Super Moderator
3,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ABS DTC resolved itself on the way home from work today. I guess that means this weekend will be devoted to fixing the wife's Camry which developed an emissions fault.

·
Super Moderator
3,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Washed the car, detailed the rims, etc last night, expecting the 20% chance of rain would be just that. It spent an hour 20%ing all over my car at lunch today, so no pictures. Maybe tomorrow.

·
Super Moderator
3,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sad Integra is sad.

Got in to drive the family to work/daycare this morning and....nothing. Chattering from near the fuse panel and no lights on the dash. ****.

Jump from the good battery in the dead EJ1 in the garage next to my car, and we drive away, but things are acting funny. Radio is dropping out and resetting when I do things like hit the turn signals, or when the A/C cycles (humid as fawk this morning). Not good, but the radio says it's floating between 13.2 and 14.1V, so that looks like the alternator is trying to charge it. Cool.

Got everyone dropped off, made it to work, and turned it back to ACC, so the radio could show me the non-charging battery voltage. Click, everything goes dark. Power locks won't even budge.

Battery is an Optima yellow top I bought about a year and a half ago, and worked fine in my EJ1, and fine in my DB7 until this morning. No indications that it was about to fail. No dome light left on. No headlights left on. Some kind of epic failure occurred. Can't diagnose it right now though, because it's raining, and I'm at work, and I need to, you know, work. Grumble.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
3,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Boo to work. Love the car. Planning on shaving the front bumper holes?
Hoping to replace the whole front bumper some day. There's damage from some random ass who backed into me in the parking lot and didn't leave a note, 3 sets of holes from front license plate mounting, a mark from the PO hitting a class V receiver hitch, and a bunch of scratches. Also, it doesn't quite match the rest of the car....it's half a shade lighter. For now though, it'll stay. Battle scars are good for daily drivers. They make the rock chips seem less depressing.

·
Registered
169 Posts
ahh now i see. didn't read very thoroughly...

haha true that on the rock chips. Could the holes be minor enough for repair though? It doesn't look like the hitch punched through. It might help lessen the cost a bit if you're willing to do some prep...

·
Registered
364 Posts
ABS DTC resolved itself on the way home from work today. I guess that means this weekend will be devoted to fixing the wife's Camry which developed an emissions fault.
fyi, that happens ALL the time in my DB. I will turn on car and ABS light will be on. Later in day (even minutes later) next time I start the light will be off. It doesn't affect anything. and always resolves itself within the next startup or 2. I don't know if its actually bad sensors, but I first started noticing it after I fiddled with the rear brake lines when installing LCAs. might even be temperature and humidity related. /fyi.

welcome to the DB Club. :)

·
Super Moderator
3,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Happy teg is happy! After an hour and a half at Advanced Auto Parts with awesome dude Alex helping me out, the battery, alternator, and charging system were checked and found to be good, but the battery tested as needing a recharge. That didn't make much sense to me (degreed electrical engineer) but hey, it's his show. one 35 minute high rate charge later, the old battery was back in the car and.....nothing. Didn't even get a main relay click. He pulled it back out, dashed inside, processed the warranty replacement, and put the new one in, lickety split. Bonus points to him for holding the door for me in the rain, even though he had the electrical tester and a battery in his arms (3 times!).

And kudos to Optima for having a 36 month warranty for their batteries.

·
Super Moderator
3,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
haha true that on the rock chips. Could the holes be minor enough for repair though? It doesn't look like the hitch punched through. It might help lessen the cost a bit if you're willing to do some prep...
The holes are ugly, like someone took #10 self tapping screws and went into the plastic near the factory holes. Totally fillable and sandable, but on the edge of being worth it for a combat bumper. When it comes time, it'll get a new OEM bumper, and better paint at a very nice shop I've grown to love. This one is.... expendable.

That's sucks to hear about the car man. Sounds a bit freaky to me for that to happen out of no where. Perhaps water is getting in some where and causing the issue.
It was totally random. No leaking, no electrical issues. Standby draw on the battery is 40mA, and the alt was charging just fine. It just failed. 2 dead cells from what I saw on the analyzer. Weird, but it happens.

welcome to the DB Club. :)
Heh, true. It happened again last night. On for one start, off at the next one. I'm going to clean the wheel sensors when I check out the brakes this weekend. We'll see.

·
Super Moderator
3,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Valve lash adjusted. Oil changed. Still need to do trans fluid and some wiring to get the stereo working again. Tomorrow's projects I think. 2 beers into the evening and it's almost time for bed. Hard day working on the wifes Camry. I hate working on Toyotas.

·
Banned
233 Posts
got the old school gsr wheels... im diggin it. been thinking about getting my black ones back in commission. it looks fresh.

·
Super Moderator
3,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Did the valve lash yesterday.

Going with min cold clearances quieted the normally tap-tastic LS valvetrain down a lot. Oil change went smoothly, but I'm looking into what may be excessive consumption. Trans fluid and brake flush are on the list, but probably won't happen for a few days.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 94 Posts