Team Integra Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello,

i have some bad news, i just got back from getting my wheels balanced and i found out that all 4 of my rims are bent. minor but i only had them for about 2 weeks or so. i tried to avoid all potholes however i did hit a good size one about last week.

am i doing something wrong? too little air in the tires? too much? i dont know, just sux.... thanks for listening.

oh i have 17 oz wheels with some yoko 205/40.

·
Registered
11,935 Posts
What make.

Edit...I thought the oz was a typo...

·
Registered
16,250 Posts
40 is a low profile and does not offer much protection to your rims.

It is possible that you bent them. What kind are they? How many PSI does it recomend and what did you have in them?

·
Registered
460 Posts
sounds like you got some bunk ass rims, or incorrect tire pressure. it seems like you would've noticed if the rims were bent especially all4 when you were driving. Defintiely get a hold of the shop or OZ.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
OZ will replace them but u will have to pay for shipping there and back and i think a little fee as well but u need a bill of sale if im not mistaken check out there site and email them. im going threw that with them for my rims having gouches from a shop that f**kthemup... shop will pay

·
Registered
417 Posts
17/205/40= bent wheels.
I used to have 16/205/40.
bent my wheels...unless you can do something wider with a 40 profile, you really should stick to 45. All those luxury sports coupes with 40 or lower have some major wide wheel base, so potholes don't bother them as much. they can still get damaged, but it takes a more precise hit.

I run mine hard. When completely cold I put 40 psi in all four. Max is 50 on the tire.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
it says 35psi, and i have 35 psi. just check last week.
i guess i will give oz a call and see what happens. thx

·
Registered
75 Posts
35!!!! holly f'ing hell. That would be a harsh ride. That is the MAX PSI reccommended. If you look at the tag on your door ( or where ever it is). The PSI is only supposed to be around 28psi for stock size. With larger tires and stiffer composition you shouldn't run more than the stock PSI. 205/45/16 @ 26-28psi and 40k+ on 2 sets. The Integra is not heavy enough to need the higer PSI.

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
Wraith on Mar/23/04 said:
35!!!! holly f'ing hell. That would be a harsh ride. That is the MAX PSI reccommended. If you look at the tag on your door ( or where ever it is). The PSI is only supposed to be around 28psi for stock size. With larger tires and stiffer composition you shouldn't run more than the stock PSI. 205/45/16 @ 26-28psi and 40k+ on 2 sets. The Integra is not heavy enough to need the higer PSI.
Someone can correct me if I'm wrong but like you said the STOCK tire. The PSI recommended for whatever tire setup would be on the side of the tire. And again unless I'm wrong you'd run off that # not the one on the door sill.

·
Registered
5,112 Posts
ace1972 on Mar/22/04 said:
17/205/40= bent wheels.
I used to have 16/205/40.
bent my wheels...unless you can do something wider with a 40 profile, you really should stick to 45. All those luxury sports coupes with 40 or lower have some major wide wheel base, so potholes don't bother them as much. they can still get damaged, but it takes a more precise hit.

I run mine hard. When completely cold I put 40 psi in all four. Max is 50 on the tire.
I think what he's trying to say is:

-The profile (40 in this case) is the height to width proportion.
-Although "luxury" sports coupes have a 40 or lower profile, you can't compare them with the widths that fit on our integras (generally speaking).
-Why? They usually have much wider tires than our integras, therefore a 40 profile actually has more rubber from the rim to where it sits on the ground.

Now back to the topic... What type/age/condition suspension are you running? A bad suspension can also put more stress on wheels b/c it isn't properly dampening the shocks.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Originally posted by 90_integraLS on Mar/23/04 said:
Someone can correct me if I'm wrong but like you said the STOCK tire. The PSI recommended for whatever tire setup would be on the side of the tire. And again unless I'm wrong you'd run off that # not the one on the door sill.
Well... OK, you are wrong. The #s on the sidewalls of tires are a function of MAX load and MAX PSI. Let me ask you this: If you had 2 Integras, 1 weighed in at lets say 3000lbs and is rolling on any size tire. And Integra 2 is lets say 4000lbs with the same tires. Do you honestly think that the PSI should be the same on both cars? NO! Period. When you go to larger than stock tires = more surface area and more load dispersion, which means lower than stock PSI. Unless you like the harsh ride, and wearing the center of the tires too soon? I used to work for NTW for years, so I know what I am talking about.

RookieIntegra - as for your rim problem, here are several Qs you should get answered.

1) How did this shop determine the rims are bent?
2) Is it possible that they F'ed up when installing them?
3) Do you feel any indication that the wheels are bent?

If the answer to # 1 is "well uhh, we had to put a lot of weight on them to balance". And it had better not be on one of those F'ing bubble balancer POS. If it just took a lot of weight to balance we that is BS. Tires and rims have high spots. This can be demonstrated by a tire that "hops" while it spins on the balancer. If you look at the tread of the tire and it bounces up and down as it rolls, take that tire over to the machine. Mark with a grease pen the valve stem line on the tire, and deflate and bust the bead on the tire. Without removing it from the rim spin that grease mark to the opposite side of the rim. Now fill it back up with air. Now you have the same tire on the same rim just in a different position. Put it back on the balancer and you will notice it will not roll the same way. 90% of the time you will get a smoother roll than you did if it was "hopping". If the answer to #1 is "they all wobbled side to side", well then you either did get bad rims or they F'ed up putting them on the balancer. I have seen guys many times spin wheels on the balancer that were not secured properly and they wobble all over the place. Question #2 and 3 are kind of self-explanatory.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Wraith on Mar/23/04 said:
Quote: Originally posted by 90_integraLS on Mar/23/04Someone can correct me if I'm wrong but like you said the STOCK tire. The PSI recommended for whatever tire setup would be on the side of the tire. And again unless I'm wrong you'd run off that # not the one on the door sill. Well... OK, you are wrong. The #s on the sidewalls of tires are a function of MAX load and MAX PSI. Let me ask you this: If you had 2 Integras, 1 weighed in at lets say 3000lbs and is rolling on any size tire. And Integra 2 is lets say 4000lbs with the same tires. Do you honestly think that the PSI should be the same on both cars? NO! Period. When you go to larger than stock tires = more surface area and more load dispersion, which means lower than stock PSI. Unless you like the harsh ride, and wearing the center of the tires too soon? I used to work for NTW for years, so I know what I am talking about.

RookieIntegra - as for your rim problem, here are several Qs you should get answered.

1) How did this shop determine the rims are bent?
2) Is it possible that they F'ed up when installing them?
3) Do you feel any indication that the wheels are bent?

If the answer to # 1 is "well uhh, we had to put a lot of weight on them to balance". And it had better not be on one of those F'ing bubble balancer POS. If it just took a lot of weight to balance we that is BS. Tires and rims have high spots. This can be demonstrated by a tire that "hops" while it spins on the balancer. If you look at the tread of the tire and it bounces up and down as it rolls, take that tire over to the machine. Mark with a grease pen the valve stem line on the tire, and deflate and bust the bead on the tire. Without removing it from the rim spin that grease mark to the opposite side of the rim. Now fill it back up with air. Now you have the same tire on the same rim just in a different position. Put it back on the balancer and you will notice it will not roll the same way. 90% of the time you will get a smoother roll than you did if it was "hopping". If the answer to #1 is "they all wobbled side to side", well then you either did get bad rims or they F'ed up putting them on the balancer. I have seen guys many times spin wheels on the balancer that were not secured properly and they wobble all over the place. Question #2 and 3 are kind of self-explanatory.
I hate to say this, I but I think you are wrong too.
stock size 195-55-15 84v michelin xgt v4
84 load index is 1067lbs @ 35psi
205-40-17 84w yoko avs es100
air pressure is the same,
the key is the load index, in this case the same for for both
a lot of 205-40-17's have a 80 load index (957 @ 35 psi)
to acheive the same load carrying capacity you need to run
more air pressure
40 series tires just offer less wheel protection period
as more force is tranmitted to the wheel, becuse there is less give.
just my 2cents
(I work for Discount Tire Direct)

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
hello all
thanks all for your helpful inputs. in answer to your questions:

1: the shop determine that they are bent when they put it on the balance machine. the only thing i am worry about is that they might have mess up putting on the machine. my rims kinda stick out in the middle so i am not sure if that had anything to do with it. oh it was at NTB ( the place that blance my rims)

here is a pic of my rims

2: i dont think the rims mess up the rims because they were fine to start with and went bad all the sudden.

3: my hand shakes when i am holding on to the wheel as well as vibration from my seat.

hope this helps a bit.

just wondering, has any1 been able to get the manf. to replace their rims?

thanks again.

·
Registered
3,638 Posts
ooooh...Volcanoes..money bro...

all i have to add to this discussion is that i can say OZ does make a QUALITY product...their forged wheels such as the Superleggera III are up there with BBS and Rays Engineeering...

·
Registered
75 Posts
kineticgsr on Mar/23/04 said:
I hate to say this, I but I think you are wrong too.
stock size 195-55-15 84v michelin xgt v4 84 load index is 1067lbs @ 35psi 205-40-17 84w yoko avs es100 air pressure is the same, the key is the load index, in this case the same for for both a lot of 205-40-17's have a 80 load index (957 @ 35 psi) to acheive the same load carrying capacity you need to run more air pressure
40 series tires just offer less wheel protection period
as more force is tranmitted to the wheel, becuse there is less give.
just my 2cents
(I work for Discount Tire Direct)
Not trying nitpick here but:

I would agree with the "40 series tires just offer less wheel protection period". I wouldn't run 40s on an Integra. on a wider tire with a different car, maybe.

And I must have missed the part where we started to talk about Yokohama ES100s. We are both on the same track here, where the load on a given tire IS KEY. That is why you may notice that the Michelin XGT tires that come OEM reccomend one PSI, while Acura reccomends a lower one (the Integra is not that heavy). And maybe these stats are wrong but I looked at TireRack - http://www.tirerack.com/tires/Spec.jsp?make=Yokohama&model=AVS+ES100
And the stats are: 205/40WR17 84W RF 280 AA A 1102lbs 50psi

I know the stock weight of a G2 is around 2700lbs so round it up to 3000 for a G3. Now we can probably assume there is more weight on the front tires, but for arguments sake: 3000 / 4 = 750lbs per corner. This is far less than the MAX load for a given tire that we put on our cars. That is why you should not use MAX PSI in them. Certainly not the 50PSI the ES100 says.

Whoever said OZ makes good wheels.... yea they are good. Chances are the vibrations RookieIntegra is feeling are due to a mistake the guy at NTB made. Not balanced properly, etc.... It is a shot in the dark too but the wider and stiffer tires may have uncovered some worn alignment parts. This is more of a slim possibility.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts