Team Integra Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, i don't know all that much about cars, so bear with me if this is a stupid question, if i were to ask a shop how much they will charge me for a Type R transmission, then does this include the lsd, basically, is the lsd and the gearbox one unit or would i need to specify.

Thanks for your help, not a good idea to look like a fool when you're trying to buy something =).

·
Registered
10,995 Posts
I think all ITR transmission include a LSD, I mean, it's the differential, that's like not including a gear or something, it's a kinda expected ya know?

Just to be safe, you could ask them, "What's all included?"

And while you are at it, ask them about the clutch they will use on the install. Make sure it's not a half burnt out one or something.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Yes it should include the LSD, thats kind of one of the defining points of the ITR transmission. Also, it would be a better idea to just go ahead and replace the clutch with a new one.

·
Registered
497 Posts
It would be more cost effective to just purchase an aftermarket LSD unless you are getting a trade or something. You can pick up a Quaife LSD for your GSR tranny for $875 + your installers rate. The best thing about this option is that Quaife gives a Lifetime warranty with their LSD so if it ever breaks they will back it. I don't know if you plan on building up your motor but the R LSD was not meant for alot of power and if it is used the life of the LSD may be shorter than expected. While that tranny will bolt right up and it will include a hellical Honda LSD I would discourage you from this purchase unless you aren't trying to achieve more than 180lbs of torque.

·
Registered
4,631 Posts
The R lsd can take power...it has been proven on a lot of boosted R's!

my suggestions...
if your going boosted..forget the R tranny and stick w/ gsr...i prefer that for a lil bit longer gears...and buy a jdm itr lsd for about $350-400, take the money saved and invest it in a nice clutch setup w/ a flywheel resurface...
grand total = $8-900 for parts + labor

the only benefit to the qualife is if your running some serious power...by the sounds of it your not, but the itr is mroe than sufficent for turning...the qualife has a lil better straight line lsd action, the itr is beautiful in the turns

if your going n/a
get the itr final drive w/ jdm lsd and have them installed w/ a decent stg 1 clutch and your drivetrain will be more than sturdy to take any beating you'd throw at it!
grand total = $1000 + labor

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yeah, if the Type R can handle it, then it'll be able to handle the sort of power i'll be putting through it coz i'm taking the approach of maximising what i've got rather than trying to get more power.

ok, so you guys reckon if i can get the lsd and final drive it'll be as good as getting the whole transmission?

·
Registered
497 Posts
My opinion still stands the same, The Type R lsd is a capable part but why spend the money on it just for it break down the road. You get what you pay for.

·
Registered
289 Posts
ITR tranny is more cost effective, shorter gears and LSD in one unit, just slap it on with clutch swap, ripping open the tranny to install LSD is more labor, which means more money, plus the GSR tranny doesn't have the short gear ratio,

·
Super Moderator
25,245 Posts
integralove00 on Feb/25/04 said:
My opinion still stands the same, The Type R lsd is a capable part but why spend the money on it just for it break down the road. You get what you pay for.
Honda trannies are well known for their bulletproof-ness...this would be my last worry.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Your right, what was i thinking? So then I should just get a type R tranny in trade for my GSR with Quaife.. Im sure it will handle the power of my new motor since it's "bulletproof."
For some reason I just don't think it can handle 350 to the wheels on a daily basis. The tranny will be fine like you said Justin but the LSD would give out. The honda tranny is reliable as you said but i still think the LSD has its limits.. IMO It will break eventually and I would rather not shell out another 875 once i learned my lesson. Maybe that isn't a concern in this guy's situation but in mine it would be. IMO It is based on application and in this guy's application he doesn't plan to go FI so it may never be a concern. Myself on the other hand, plan to have my motor completed by fall. I wouldn't waste my time or money on a type R because it doesn't fit my application, even if i did try it, it would probably hold out for a while but I don't see it withstanding daily torture aside from that I would rather have a part with a lifetime warranty.. Thats what I tried to state in fewer words in my original post.

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
i wouldn't put more than 300 horses through a honda diff, LSD or otherwise.

they may be bulletproof, but things like that must be taken with a grain of salt when we're talking 2-3x more horsepower than stock.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
ok, well, you guys are right, i'm not putting much more than stock power through the gearbox, probably wont even be putting as much as a stock R!, gunning for using what i've got rather than increasing it.

one question, which is related so not worth another post, does anyone know what sort of rpm's i'd be running at using a JDM R gearbox on a GSR at, say, 100km/h (which is 62mph i think). Australia is a big place so lost of long distance cruising.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
haha, sorry guys, and i've been trying to be so careful with searching first!

any dramas with cruising at greater than 3,500 rpm? maybe i should use the R's tighter gear ratios but with my 4.4 final drive?

·
Registered
4,631 Posts
cruizing at 3500 heh i cruize at like 4g's almost all the time...but then again i do a lot of higway driving...3500 should be a major problem...but the higher you rev = more piston travel = more motor wear

1 - 15 of 15 Posts