Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 195 Posts

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought it would be a good laugh for everyone to post their ohhhhhh sh*t!!
moments when doing projects/maintainance on their car. I am talking about those times when you are in the middle of a project and the screwdriver slips/jack falls ,etc etc. I would have to say my dumbest do it myself mistake was taking out my gauge cluster and trying to pull the plastic bezel off without knowing about those three screws in the back. Superglue to the rescue!! hope this is within guide postlines

·
Administrator
43,014 Posts
after 4 straight days of working on my car.. the culmination of getting my new system together...

11:30 pm, in the dark with a dyng flashlight.... i cross the power and ground on my brand new Kicker X-over... the genie came out (never a good thing when smoke comes out of a component)... total bummer

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
The dumbest thing i have ever done and probably the dumbest out of everyone here is: i was making a custom bracket for my intake, so i moved the coolant overflow resevior over to the side. It was setting right on top of the header. Well i finish workin on the intake and i made the mistake of not putting the overflow back to were it belongs. Talk about one awful smell and evn worse it was so melted it took me a long time to get it off the header and i had to order a new one for 60 bux from the dealership. When i first saw the smoke boiling out of the sides of my hood i didnt know wtf was goin on cuz it was running fine. lol how embarrising. Ive never told anyone about this. just a stupid mistake.

·
Registered
8,532 Posts
The two nuts I rounded off. one of them I wasn't thinking and was trying to turn it the wrong way to loosen it, ended up bending it out of shape and rounding it off.

The other one, I used the wrong size wrench and rounded it off.

Now I am extra careful with turning directions and wrench sizes. I tripple check each time, heh.

·
Registered
879 Posts
Pouring 4 quarts of mobil 1 straight through my engine......remember to but the oil drain plug back on

·
Registered
179 Posts
when puttin my header on...i broke a head stud off inside the block...so i had to drill into the block to take it out..an hour project turned into a two day...nailbiting life or death situation haha

·
Registered
185 Posts
i bought vinyl paint and i wanted to do my interior, so instead of researching on how to do it, i was too excited so i masked off my dash and started spraying, it made a big mess, i booted down to canadian tire and bought vinyl paint remover, and to this day you can see the mess i made... so young... so stupid...

·
Registered
865 Posts
Ah, similar to the oil straight through the motor story but with a twist! I didn't notice that the gasket off the old oil filter didn't come off with it...it stuck to the motor! I put the new filter on, filled er up with oil...no leaks...started it up! Well, that old gasket was squished in there just so that it shot oil up onto the motor, fender, belts, bumper cover, hood, etc. What a freakin mess!

·
Registered
389 Posts
Believe it or not, I did that EXACT same thing! Other stupid things I regret are not getting a quality suspension setup the 1st time, cheap-o header, & putting a bypass valve on my CAI.

·
Registered
523 Posts
bigcooncie95ls on Sep/10/02 said:
The dumbest thing i have ever done and probably the dumbest out of everyone here is: i was making a custom bracket for my intake, so i moved the coolant overflow resevior over to the side. It was setting right on top of the header. Well i finish workin on the intake and i made the mistake of not putting the overflow back to were it belongs. Talk about one awful smell and evn worse it was so melted it took me a long time to get it off the header and i had to order a new one for 60 bux from the dealership. When i first saw the smoke boiling out of the sides of my hood i didnt know wtf was goin on cuz it was running fine. lol how embarrising. Ive never told anyone about this. just a stupid mistake.
Been there done that hehe. Your not alone on this situation. Instead of going to acura for the part i went to the local junkyard. Was only like 20 bucks

The really bad part of this all was that when i noticed i had left it on the header was when i was popping my hood for about 10 people because they wanted to look at my dirty engine. Man i have never been so humiliated lol

·
Registered
684 Posts
i forgot to check the old oil fiter gasket, then i put the new ones in then i thought i was done. as i start the car looked @ the bottom. oil spill every where.

·
Registered
35,673 Posts
StyleTEG on Sep/10/02 said:
The two nuts I rounded off. one of them I wasn't thinking and was trying to turn it the wrong way to loosen it, ended up bending it out of shape and rounding it off.

The other one, I used the wrong size wrench and rounded it off.

Now I am extra careful with turning directions and wrench sizes. I tripple check each time, heh.
That's the worst you've ever done? Everyone strips a nut occasionally!

·
Registered
333 Posts
Changing your oil while my dog was in the background running around, I opened all the tops off my oil and my dog jumps up on me from behind and i step into my oil i just drained and spilled new oil everwhere in my motor, what a bummer, dad got pissed and took me 2 hours to clean up the mess in the garage!!!!

·
Registered
273 Posts
i cut my aem cai to put a bypass on. just as i got done, what do you know the bypass doesn't fit( i have an rs it was for a gsr). for now i have aem cai made to short arm intake.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
haha i did the same thing on the gauge cluster...when i opened the post that is the first thing i thought of

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
i was using a jack from an 80's caddie (best jack for teg's IMO... starts real low, and goes real high) under the front of the car, so i could lift up the whole front end and put jackstands under the sides... got it up some, got on jack stand in, couldn't get the other in, jacked it up some more, BAM, the jack tipped and went IN. for a second i thought the car was resting on my radiator, but it was really on the one jackstand... only damage was some torn plastic underneath, and soiled pants

·
Registered
5,536 Posts
hmm..stupidest thing i did???

well i was taking the front bumper off my teg cuz i was replacing the fenderliner and some clips that hold it together nicely. Anyway, the bumper got a little snagged on something (and it was raining while i was doing this). I got so frustrated i stood there, pulling, and screaming, then it gave and it flew out of my hands and slid down my driveway. So there are marks everywhere on my front bumper.

replacing my radiator i decided to skip the drain coolant part and just disconnect the hoses - well i got coolant EVERYWHERE, it looked like i sprayed my motor with it.

attemping to remove my climate control console, i pulled and pulled and pulled and broke some tabs. now the console hangs a little to the right and the rear defroster button is popped farther out than the hazards.

i wont even go into the atrosities of my old car....

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
When i had my gen 1 a couple of years ago...it was raining really hard. i came up with the idea to go through a huge puddle in a parking lot somewhere so i got a lot of speed and rammed it...it ended up being a massive crater in the ground and i bent my bumper down...i tried fixing it before my parents found out...i hooked up a pully thing to a tree and my bumper...to try to pull it back up...i started backing up and ripping my bumper off...that was when the parents found out about it...they werent too happy

1 - 20 of 195 Posts