Team Integra Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Main Question: Do I need a tune, bigger injectors, or anything else?

I have a 1991 DA Integra with a 1999 JDM high compression b20b. I have quite a few bolt on parts, and I was wondering if I need a tune at this point. Here is a list of everything that I have done to it related to air, fuel, and exhaust. If I don't mention it in the list, that just means that it is stock.
  • Skunk2 Pro series intake manifold
  • Skunk2 Alpha 66 mm throttle body
  • 2nd gen specific AEM short ram intake (I would have gone with a cold air intake, but I live in a very wet climate.
  • 160 LPH fuel pump
  • 4-1 Headers
  • Tanabe medallion pro touring cat-back exhaust
  • I have a test pipe if needed
With all of the increased airflow and exhaust flow, it makes sense that I would need a tune. Note that the ECU is OBD0, so I don't know if I would need to upgrade to OBD1 or not. If there looks like there is anything else I may need, whether it be bigger injectors or something else, let me know. I'm most interested in the tune though, and I don't want to spend a bunch of money on one if it isn't needed. Thanks for the help!

Wheel Automotive parking light Car Automotive side marker light Tire

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, you'll need to upgrade to OBD1.

As far as injectors, that would be a conversation that you would want to have with your tuner, as he'll be the one to determine if your current fuel supply is suffice with just increasing the pressure, or if they feel upgraded injectors are necessary.
Thanks for the help! Just to be 100% clear, I do need a tune, and I need to upgrade to obd1 to do so?

·
Registered
16 Posts
I would just get a OBD0-1 conversion harness, Neptune demon 2 board and use Honda Tuning Suite. Way better than chip burning and I believe moates sells boards for $150. Don't forget a wide band o2 . That thing should scream with a nice tune

·
Registered
15 Posts
Others already gave you good advice on converting to obd1, but I would like to point out that your skunk2 intake manifold and throttle body are actually hurting performance on your stock b20.

The rpm that manifold is designed to operate at is no where near the rpm your stock engines powerband is. Same with that big ole throttle body it’s just hurting air velocity.

With that manifold/tb You might dyno with slightly more peak hp towards the rev limiter but your midrange is gonna be severely lacking.

What I’m getting at is even if you dyno higher peak hp numbers with the skunk2, In the real world you will be slower than a b20 with a stock b18b1 intake manifold and tb.
IMO a strong mid range power band will make you much faster than a very peaky powerband. This is why most people swap in b20s on a DA rather than swapping in say a b16.

Also bigger injectors are not necessary for your build at all unless you plan on going boosted in the future. Stock injectors are good for over 200hp.
Even your fuel pump is a little over kill, stock Honda fuel pumps never fail.

I would personally wait till you perfect your setup a bit more before tuning so you get the most out of it.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Are you running a PR4 obd0 ecu ? If so, then yes you need a tune on an obd1 ecu. With that motor & that ecu you will be rich in some spots & lean in others & performance will suffer on mid range & high end. Also you need an adjustable fuel pressure regulator. AEM or Aeromotive make good ones. And you'll need a fuel pressure guage as well.

I also recommend a Hondata S300. That way you can easily tune on the fly or load other base maps if you change motors. And it's easier for tuners because everyone uses Hondata.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Are you running a PR4 obd0 ecu ? If so, then yes you need a tune on an obd1 ecu. With that motor & that ecu you will be rich in some spots & lean in others & performance will suffer on mid range & high end. Also you need an adjustable fuel pressure regulator. AEM or Aeromotive make good ones. And you'll need a fuel pressure guage as well.

I also recommend a Hondata S300. That way you can easily tune on the fly or load other base maps if you change motors. And it's easier for tuners because everyone uses Hondata.

Thanks for the info, I'll be sure to look into all of that.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts