Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just wondering... What is the lowest price that anyone has pieced together a turbo setup on a Teg for? How about an average price?

I just want a simple low cost turbo. I'm sick of being slow because of this elevation (5820ft). I only need to run about 2 psi to make up for the elevation, so I'll probably go for about 4. I'm not very into drag racing, so I'm not going to spend a lot of money on power adders. I just want to have a long lasting daily driver and not get killed on the straight sections of a track or autocross.

So, I'm thinking about piecing together a cheap basic turbo setup. Probably no intercooler, and a mild, if any, fuel system upgrade (just enough so I don't run lean at 4 psi). I would likely get a used, but in good condition, compressor and an exhaust manifold to fit it. That's where I immediately forsee problems... What FI cars come with compressors that would work well on a Teg? And how do I know what exhaust manifolds it will work with? Will it simply work as long as they bolt up, or are there clearance issues as well? Anything else I need to consider? Thanks!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Here is what I'm putting on my car, and I've hit the junkyards up in Colorado for.....

50$ T3 turbo .63 A/R (comes on turbo fords in the mid 80's)
80$ Starion or 944 porsche intercooler
10$ 1g (90-94) eclipse Blow off valve. (good for 17psi)
20$ 1g (90-94) manual not A/T 440cc injectors
10$ resistor pack for high emp. injectors.
299 APEX VAFC for fuel control
400 Revhard or inline pro manifold
200 for piping, clamps, flanges, rubber, lines, gaskets.

will run 10psi on a bone stock b18c5 hopefully dyno at 240-260 hp at the wheels (300+ crank)

·
Registered
8,532 Posts
wow, a turbo setup for alittle over than a grand. Very nice price, especially considering alot of people (including myself) spend more than that on I/H/C/E.

·
Registered
179 Posts
10 psi on a b18c5? that seems very high I suggest proper tunning before you go even near the 10 psi mark!

don't forget a FMU! to increase fuel as you get into boost a VAFC is NOT boost dependant.(but will help idle wih teh 440's)
also a down pipe will be needed aswell as a larger exhaust system
a EGT, oil pressure and boost gauge are a good idea.

"200 for piping, clamps, flanges, rubber, lines, gaskets"seems low to me..as my stainless steel return line cost me almost $100 plus I needed a oilpangaset $20, exhaust manifold gasket $30, silicon hoses and T's $20, and othe miscalanous stuff cost me another $40 and I had the I/C piping /couplers/clamps (that came with the kit).. you will find all teh little things will add up very very quickly .

·
Registered
8 Posts
The apex vafc and the injectors will handle fuel controll better then a FMU would any day. This is how most japanese turbo kits come, they dont use rising rate FMU's they use electronics, you can lean out the fuel curve at low rpms when you are not making boost, 440cc injectors will not cause idle probs, you alwasy want to keep the injectors size below the volume of one cylinder, which in a gsr's case is 449.25cc and a ls is a bit higfher then that. I have bosted 10psi on a b18c5, I have boosted 15 psi with only a greddy head gasket. also 200 for piping and the such is right on par, you can find the stuf you need through jc whiney and other various discount mail order stores, hell even the MR gasket copper exhaust mani gasket is only 19.95 from summit, i dont know where you would pay 30 for a gasket better then that.

·
Registered
179 Posts
the vafc is not boost dependant! but after abit of research I found some people who do the afc-hack which does allow the afc/vafc for boost applications.. a cool idea.. I ust say.. thanks for opening my eyes to this.. a mod I may consider on a project car..

I am curious do you have any pics or dyno prof of you old 10psi b18c5? and is so what happened to it?
oh and btw I am canadian so $30 for a copper gasket is right on part!

·
Registered
179 Posts
that is not that good of an article..
I give anyone how installs there turbo as described in that article about 10 seconds in boost before they blow there motor.. why! note nothing mentioned about an adition fuel pump our fuel pump wasn't designed to deliver the amount of fule needed to supply the motor for the power it will be making! you need more fuel pressure wth a FMU so a aditional fuel pump(inline) is mandatory!
otherwise you will lean out and go BOOM! the whole page is a cut and paste of there peoples site.. I doubt he even installed a turbo.

·
Registered
200 Posts
i just finished my turbo kit...a DIY and heres what i spent.

280.00 drag3 manifold
250.00 brand new tial wastegate 35mm
150.00 on intercooler piping and HKS BOV(my best deal..lol)
125.00 T3 super 60 turbocharger(another great deal)
300.00 on intercooler(worst deal)
100.00 on oil line kit and 10psi check valve set(brand new from turbo-performance)
100.00 drag3 downpipe with flange and 02 bung already welded on

i upgraded my fuel system before i put together my turbo kit. RC310cc injectors, bigger fuel pump, fields vafc, B&M fuel pressure guage, AEM fpr, 12:1 FMU(need an 8:1 disk) im looking to run 10psi with the addition of a boost controller.

·
Registered
398 Posts
When i go to a junk yard what kind of cars should i look for with a turbo in them. and how much should i rip out

·
Registered
104 Posts
B18c1-2NR on Jul/26/02 said:
i just finished my turbo kit...a DIY and heres what i spent.

280.00 drag3 manifold
250.00 brand new tial wastegate 35mm
150.00 on intercooler piping and HKS BOV(my best deal..lol)
125.00 T3 super 60 turbocharger(another great deal)
300.00 on intercooler(worst deal)
100.00 on oil line kit and 10psi check valve set(brand new from turbo-performance)
100.00 drag3 downpipe with flange and 02 bung already welded on

i upgraded my fuel system before i put together my turbo kit. RC310cc injectors, bigger fuel pump, fields vafc, B&M fuel pressure guage, AEM fpr, 12:1 FMU(need an 8:1 disk) im looking to run 10psi with the addition of a boost controller.
let us know how it works out for you

1 - 12 of 12 Posts