Team Integra Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i've been tossing around the idea of a trans cooler for my ITR for a while now. I notice the trans getting pretty hot when i track the car or when i take it out for a cruise through the mountains. I change the fluid frequently but the heat really bothers me. It gets very warm too hot to touch for more than a second at a time.

I dont think its causing any damage but i am very overprotective of the engine and trans. So here is what i have come up with...

I'll tap the drain plug or i will buy a fiting with a barb that will screw into the drain plug hole. that will run to an electric 12v fluid pump. The pump will push the fluid through a small trans cooler and the return will feed back through a barb fitting in stalled in the filler hole on the trans.

the only issue i'm having is finding a pump for a reasonable price that will fit my application. I'm doing some more searching as i type this out so i'm gonna see what i can come up with.

If anyone has a setup like this or any input on my ideas i would love to hear them.

·
Registered
717 Posts
i know a guy with a transmission temp gauge on his gsr and he told me that year round the temperature stays at about 140-150 around town and at highway/interstate cruising hits 180 sometimes. thats less than the oil in your engine gets all the time. you really dont need a trans cooler. it runs pretty cool as is. if you are worried, hook up a gauge and see how hot it gets.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
does your friend track or auto x his car. I dont have a gauge but i'm currently in the market for one as soon as i find one that i like i will purchase it and get it installed. I never noticed my gsr trans getting this hot to the touch. i really notice it getiting hot after a trip on the interstate cruising at 80 with the revs at 4500+...the close gear ratio is to thank for that...lol.

·
Registered
717 Posts
yeah he said its gets near 180 on interstate cruising. i think its a stewart warner gauge, but dont quote me on that im not 100%. i dont think he autox's but does drag race it

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
Did anyone actually go through with this? I have been having a lot of trouble getting into fourth gear after a few pulls at the strip and I think its because my tranny fluid is overheating.. just a guess since I have replaced all the synchros. Also, it always works fine again after I let it sit for a few hours.

Mike

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.