Team Integra Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
871 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. i checke under "cut airbox" but didnt find anything.

anyway I opened up my stock air filter box today and saw it was a cylinder. 9i thought it was a flat filter element like my old civic coupe.

anyway i thought i could cut off the front half of the boxcover, but still have the bolts to hld the filter in place, to expose the filter all around. sort of a diy short ram. woudl that work? or even be worth doing? the previous owner took out the resonator so its just a box with a hold at the bottom. and i thought that might bee restrictive. since the filter is a clinder why not have air pulled in from all around?

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
hot air from the engine bay will go into the intake. its the disadvantage of a shortram. a full intake will suck air from outside the engine bay drawing in cold air. this draws less air(depending) but it is colder. shortram draws more air but it is warmer. the OEM box is there for a reason. that is why one of the best aftermarket systems is the comptech icebox. the stock box creates a vacuum. if you remove the top of the airbox, its a lot louder but it actually bumps your hp down. not a huge amount, just like 1 or 2hp. removing the stock resonator is a good cheap way to make it sound nicer and help out a bit.

my point, do not cut of the front of the airbox. best bet, either buy an intake(comptech), get a less strictive filter(k&n), or here is a nice post showing you how to design your own intake. there are quite a few diy intakes, you just gotta look for the article. search some more.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.