Team Integra Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw in this month or last month's sport compact car where they had a DA, which the owner had prepped for tracking, and as part of that, he'd "riveted seams". Presumably this is an alternative to seam or stitch welding. What are you guys thoughts on it? I'm tempted to give it a try...I was looking at the rear subframe tonight, I think I could do some serious seam reinforcement there...

·
Premium Member
4,006 Posts
No they didnt. He also put a urethane expanding foam in his frame. His DA is amazing.

·
Registered
831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I agree, that DA is amazing. I saw pictures somewhere on the sport compact car website of another car they featured, an S14 chassis Silvia IIRC, that also had the seams riveted. It had a closeup picture. The idea seems sound enough...I'm very tempted to try it. I doubt I'd be able to notice a difference though...and I really don't have that much time to work on it right now...I don't even have time to change my oil...

:edit: I know that welding the seams is the usual and ideal option, but I personally don't have the equipment or knowlege to just go welding away...and I'm sure I'm not the only one. Welding is something anyone can do with a drill, a $10 riveting tool from sears, and a $6 box of 1/2" stainless steel rivets.

·
Registered
4,804 Posts
I think it may help a little, especially considering that the welds are all spotwelds.

If you want to do it right, then you should strip the chassis down, remove all the sealing and sound deadning and then completly weld all the seams. this would take a lot of work and a long time to do right, but the body would be considerably stiffer as a result.

Anexample of seam welding prep on Rally cars

·
Registered
3,443 Posts
Jacksont001 on Sep/09/07 said:
If you want to do it right, then you should strip the chassis down, remove all the sealing and sound deadning and then completly weld all the seams. this would take a lot of work and a long time to do right, but the body would be considerably stiffer as a result.

I was watching a show about muscle cars and they were welding in new wheel wells over the rear end and they said the panels can't be welded all the way or they will crack due to chassis flex. I know our tegs are unibody, but you might want to consider that. I think that's one of the reasons for spot welding only.

·
Registered
831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

That's the Silvia I was talking about. I was wrong, it's an S13 chassis, but either way, it shows you an idea of the seam riveting.

·
Registered
21,518 Posts
TegTyme on Sep/09/07 said:
Quote: SniperX on Sep/09/07No they didnt. He also put a urethane expanding foam in his frame. His DA is amazing.

What do you mean by putting urethane expanding foam "in his frame"?

Is it the Aug or Sept issue of SCC?
The yellow expanding foam inside of the hollow frame will make it stiffer. I've heard of Miata guys doing the same thing.

·
Premium Member
4,006 Posts
Yea, its somethng I heard they used to do in the old american muscle cars. But our frames are hollow too, and would increase our torsional chassis rigidity a good amount. Espically in the trunk area.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.