·
Registered
10,393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Update:
Page 2

Materials:
- House wall/floor insulation foam sheet (3mm thick), pink in color
- Black Knight roofing glue (black tar stuff)

Cost:
Foam 5" x maybe 3 meters? - 7$
Black Knight roofing glue - 4L i think? - 17$
Home Depot paint mixing stick - 0$

24$ CAD, i think i could do maybe the whole trunk and rear quarter panel area hehe...

Weight:
The whole roll of foam weight maybe 1lb or even less...?
The whole can of black tar is about 5-6lbs, but i don't think i can use the whole can even doing the whole car...

So i think, lets say i pull off this project, and the total weight of all the materials would be ~2 to 3lbs max.

Poorman Sound Deadening (PSD) construction:
Insulation foam + Layer of black tar + Insulation foam

Total thickness ~5 to 6mm

Testing & Sampling condition:
- Altec Lansing speaker (1)
- Bass off
- 3 feet distance from microphone
- PSD sheet is put in front of the speaker and taken away every 5 seconds.
- Sampling rate 48000Hz, 1 channel, 16bit

This is in my testing phase, what do you think?
- Song used Slinkee Minx - Careless Whisper
30seconds Sample clip (3.60MB)

- E-Rotic - Max Don't Have Sex With Your Ex
40seconds Someone requested a "better song". ROFLLLL~

^ songs from E-Rotic crack me up every time i hear one of them lol

It "sorta" a reduced ~20-30% of the sound, most of the noise had been filtered out, i'm just comparing the light blue section.

Version 2?
I'm thinking of getting just a roofing sheet (those black sheet, 0.5mm thick. So i can apply 2 layer of black tar in between them...

So the setup would be like:
Foam + Tar + Black sheet + Tar + Foam

Or better yet,
Sheet + Tar + Sheet + Tar + Sheet
This would being it down to 3mm thick i think... but might weight more, since the sheet and extra tar would sort a weight more than those foam.

Gonna look into it next weekend. This weekend i'm busy fixing my friend's Type-S.

Leave me comments and suggestions after you hear the clips folks. Thanks!

·
Banned
9,126 Posts
this is why i love this site, people coming up with ways to do jobs just as good and saving mponey in the process. Good thinkin bro!

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
hahaha soo funny you did this...i was thinking of doing the exact same thing cuz i did a science fair back in highschool on sound insulation and that pink home insulation did the best. awesome DIY idea bro! let us know how it goes!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Being new to all this knowing that your method reduce the sound from %20-30 I still don't know how that compares to other brands of sound deadening. Could somebody compare this to Dynamat or e-dead please?

·
Registered
10,393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
98_gsr on Sep/08/07 said:
hahaha soo funny you did this...i was thinking of doing the exact same thing cuz i did a science fair back in highschool on sound insulation and that pink home insulation did the best. awesome DIY idea bro! let us know how it goes!
LOL now that's quite assuring for me to go on with my project hehe... Before i start this, i was just playing the idea in my mind. I know the basic of sound related stuff. You either want to give it some "soft space" for the sound wave to bounce off, or something thick (but not hard) that can absorb the sound wave... That's how i got this idea of combining the foam, and the tar together.

I also thought of using those Gap filler expanding foam, they are better "soft space" compared to the pink foam... but they take up way too much space once they expand.

:)

·
Registered
661 Posts
Nice job using audacity on that graph lol.
good program

nice job clean work.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I would be seriously afraid of that tar, especially in the summer. I bet that during the cool months the smell would almost be nonexistant after a while, but any heat and your back to PU city.

·
Registered
10,393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hum... not sure about the smell, but the rear quarter panel is not air tight to the outside, plus the driver side rear quarter panel also has a vent to get the air out... so i don't think the smell would be too bad. on door panel should be fine too.

I left the sample in my room this black tar thing didn't smell too bar hehe... If anything, i'm sure air freshener for a month would counter the smell. ;)

HeroOfTheDay on Sep/08/07 said:
I love the dynamat I bought, but the price...

*Thumbs up* for finding a cheaper way! Very creative.
Yea, that's why i'm trying to find an alternative.

·
Registered
10,393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Update:
I've finished the version 2, and created a "panel" that has the shape and size that fit behind the rear interior panels. on top of the "panel" i've spray some of those expanding foam as well. And now with the interior panel + rear seats reinstalled, majority of the road noise from the back are GoNE!

Now i have to find a way to eliminate the road noise coming from the front doors and the pedal area. I've took some pictures before, but don't know where the hell i put it, i will try to find it and post it up.

·
Registered
156 Posts
IamPhil on Sep/08/07 said:
Being new to all this knowing that your method reduce the sound from %20-30 I still don't know how that compares to other brands of sound deadening. Could somebody compare this to Dynamat or e-dead please?

what you're thinking of is a mass loading sheet.

different from what codenamezero has made which is what i believe to be a sound isolation sheet. basically like the dynamat dynaliner.

maybe its sort of combining both due to the tar.

·
Registered
71 Posts
The thing about porous sound absorbers is that their effectiveness is typically measured by their thickness in layer. If you plan on having a 6mm thick layer of the "pink insulation" you won't see a much of an improvement at all if any in the lower frequency bands, you'd have to get up to very high frequencies to notice a good amount of attenuation.

on a side note, porous absorbing materials are typically mounted with an air gap so gluing it down will decrease performance.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.