Team Integra Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
this is a two part question.
I really like doing stuff by my self and i was wondering where can i go to learn about doing stuff to my car, without changin majors at school. Do i just go to performance shops and watch them all day. I really dont have the time to do this every day however are there any internet site which show step buy step of certain installation processes.

2nd part.
I want to add a turbo to my car and i was planning on replacein a few internals pistons and rods to be exact. Can this project be under taken by my self or do i have to go to a shop to do it. i read 1 post about it. And i was wondering the possible risk fator of doing something wrong.

thanks for the help

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
on the first part, yeah its called an instruction manual. Theyre like 15 bucks at any auto parts store... as for the second part of your question, Ive seen my cousin work on turbos and I wouldnt attempt if I were you unless you have someone who knows what they are doing help you.
Good Luck tho!!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Naw man, as long as you got a helms, pay attention to detail and be careful, you can do whatever to your car. adding a turbo, download some instructions... matter of fact,there's an article to add a turbo to your teg on here somewhere... it's not hard. Just takes time.

·
Registered
3,069 Posts
Tearing a motor apart isn't so much difficult as it is time consuming. Putting it back together is a different story. I would think you could do everything yourself, there are members on here who have built their own motors, like DaBoyNBlu. If you want the block sleeved, you will have to send it off, you probably don't have the tools to do major work, but if by chance you do, I don't really consider it hard. You just have to label everything, seriously, if you don't, you'll regret it. You also may want to designate a large area to lay parts out so you can remember how they go back in. Just remember, a motor is pretty much just nuts, bolts, and seals w/alot of little pieces.

·
Registered
3,069 Posts
I would also say if you're a little skeptical buy an old junkyard motor to work on, tear it down, buy new parts and then put it back together. The only other problems you may run into with new pistons and rods, is balancing them, but we have a few threads on that.

·
Registered
181 Posts
you can do almost anything you want. learning before you do the work rather then learning while you do the work is better, but its up to you. as for me, if i were to do major motor work on my car id want someone with me to help me step by step to make sure everything was correct. and yes LABEL everything. it helps imensly.

as far as replacing internal parts its like replacing external parts just on the inside. and although it may be more complex than lets say adding a CAI or header it is still under the same principals. its kind of hard to put a part on the wrong way, it just wont fit. its more of connecting all the hoses and wires correctly and making sure the nuts and bolts are tight enough.

deffinatly get a good manual before you begin and remember LABEL.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks much guys. i thought it was a matter or experience but i guess i was wrong, u just need a helms manuel and time and patience.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts