Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So earlier I decided it would be nice to be able to have the front maplights turn on whenever I open my door, or unlock my car, etc. to help light up the front seats better. AND leave the maplights functional by their individual switches. (Remain controllable just like from the factory). I made a diagram that would allow me to do this for basically free (I had all the parts on hand). It took me about an hour to complete.

Parts:
1 SPST or SPDT Relay (don't use pin 87a)
2 diodes (optional- only if you want to control driver and passenger lights separately)
some wire- enough to wrap around sunroof. basically to go from the dome light to the maplights. And extra for interconnecting parts.

1. Remove interior lights. The clear plastic pieces should snap right out. Then remove 2 screws (front) or 2 nuts (rear). There is 1 wire connected to the front light, and a clip with 2 wires in it connected to the rear light.

2. The front light wire is +12V constant. This will be our +12V for the relay to connect to pins 85 and 30. Also leave a tail to connect back to the stock connector on the light assembly. (You can see my black wire running from here to the back light in the picture)

3. Pin 86 gets connected to this black wire.

4. In the back light, solder/twist the black wire to the metal on the side of the light closest to the switch. Sort of hard to describe but maybe the picture can help. Then reassemble the back light assembly. Make sure that the wire you just connected doesn't touch any other metal.

5. Hardest part- solder the diodes to the front light assembly. Make sure you have the diodes on right. Then connect them a wire that will connect to pin 87 of the relay.

6. Finish wiring the relay to the light harness. Everything should be plugged in at this point.
Relay-
85= +12V
30= +12V
87= connected to diodes
86= connected to rear light/switch

Front light
stock prong= +12V
diodes= pin 87 of relay

rear light= black wire connected to switch. goes to pin 86 of relay.

7. Tape up the relay so nothing will short out. I also taped the diodes and everything else I thought could possibly wiggle loose and short out. Then reinstall the relay as shown.

8. Reinstall the front light and you are done.

Test your work-
With the rear switch off-
Front lights operate like normal, rear light off.

With the rear switch set to door, door closed.
Front lights operate like normal, rear light off.

With the rear switch set to door, door open.
Front lights and rear light are all on. Front switches don't do anything (maybe a little brighter)

With the rear switch on.
Front lights and rear light are all on. Front switches don't do anything.

I think this mod is very useful that it helps to light up the car MUCH better at night when you open or close the door. If your alarm has dome light supervision, it should still work with this mod and turn on the maplights with the dome light.

edit: Pictures added

·
Registered
533 Posts
com'on pics!

i also wanted to do this but havent had the time to figure out the wiring and everything. I read an article like this on the TL forums before, they also have this DIY where your doorhandles light up when you open the door.

Maybe we can find a way to combine this artice and the other article for the IS350 under dash lights? They would go great together.

·
Registered
533 Posts
This is the DIY i mentioned before...i think its pretty cool

Door Handle LEDs

where can i locate the wiring for the dome light so i can splice into it? is it by the A-pillar in integras too?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yeah, I need to find a host for the pics. i have 11, just need to get them up. I will try to incorporate how to do door lighting LED's in it too. I'm also planning on adding the IS350 lighting (only brighter and only on when the doors are open.) so I can snap some pictures of that too. I really like how it turned out.

If someone could PM me the best place to host pics, I think I know how to link them to my original post?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Brilliant deal. Now has anyone installed or looked up installing a auto dimmer like a BMW. Like when you open the door instead of it turning instantly on it dims on and when you shut the door it dims off. Any insight on that would be helpful. (sorry for jacking thread, i thought it was rather on topic)

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I uploaded the pics finally.

wayboarder- to dim the lights off I think you could put a capacitor in the circuit. Im not sure how you could dim the lights on, but Ill think about it for awhile and maybe I will come up with something.

Random_monkey- when I get my neons to put under the dash, I will add that to this write up. But none of the wiring is really the same. It just happens to be controlled by the same sensor.

I hooked it up to my dome light supervision and it works also, as expected.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
If you want the door handle lights to come on with dome light supervision the best way to wire the door handle lights is probably going to extend the (-) door trigger that can be found in the driver footwell or in the door frame (you have to take the back plastic off first though). If you route that into the door that will be your pin 86 for the relay. You should be able to get power for pin 30 from the power door lock feed. I think this will test for +12V all the time. I don't know whether or not the LED's will draw too much current for that wire though. Connect pin 85 to any +12V constant. then connect pin 87 to the + LED lead. Connect the - LED lead to the ground.

NOTE: The LED's will still turn on and off when you open/close the door, even if the domelight switch is off. This also means that the dome light switch won't allow you to manually turn on/off the door handle LED's.

·
Registered
533 Posts
thats how i want it. so that the dome light doesnt come on, but the door handles light up. If i have time soon ill wire it all up and make a write up for everyone thats interested. idk when ill find the time though, if you beat me to it, be sure to make a write up, itll save me time from trial and error too :D

·
Registered
423 Posts
wayboarder on Nov/03/07 said:
Brilliant deal. Now has anyone installed or looked up installing a auto dimmer like a BMW. Like when you open the door instead of it turning instantly on it dims on and when you shut the door it dims off. Any insight on that would be helpful. (sorry for jacking thread, i thought it was rather on topic)
If your interested in building your own circuit for this, I suggest you check this out Dome Light Dimmer
This is next up on my projects list, but school is taking up most of my time right now so I don't know when I'll get around to it. Hope this helps others that are interested.

·
Registered
487 Posts
RS has no moon roof, thus no spot lights.

there's another thing you can do, and i had this idea after doing this to my own car.

the ceiling light has an option to turn it off completely. but, wiring up eecylcone's way, this provision is not copied in the spot lights (you turn the ceiling light off, but the spot lights remain on). if you run a wire from the ceiling light's 12V feed along with the door switch wire around the sunroof, this can power the coil of the relay.

thus, when you open the car door, the ceiling and spot lights turn on. but if you turn the ceiling light off, the spot lights also turn off, and then you still have indepant use of the spot lights.

that way, if the doors are left open for an extended amount of time, you can turn off all the inside lights.

added:

i take that back... i've just now had a chance to look at the wiring for the lights, and it seems much more difficult than just adding a power wire from the ceiling light.

the way i've suggested still bypasses the switch, i forget it's a negative trigger, and not a possitive trigger.

maybe if somehow you were able to solder the grounding wire on to the metal contact inside the actual switch, that way, when it's turned off, there is no current allowed until the switch is set to 'door'.

·
Registered
745 Posts
what kinda diodes?

1) what kinda diodes are needed for this?

I went to Radio Shack and they only had one type of 12v diode.

2) will this work (see attached)
a) if so, does it matter what direction i attach it?

** oh yeah i forgot. I dont have light bulbs in my map lights. i have led's.

Attachments

·
Registered
928 Posts
Ready...... It gets complicated.......

JK LOL

Those are fine. Even higher voltage ones are ok too. They basically flow electricity like a one way valve as does an LED ( Light Emitting Diode ) so yes it matters. If you ever need a large amount go on ebay. They have a lot for very little.

I use these a lot:

1N4148 ( small red diodes like yours )
1N4001 ( black ones like pictured before )

Go to the link below and study up. There is a lot of great info. Even if you never have hada any experience with electronics its a good read.

Welcome to the Electronics Club <---------- Click Me

1 - 20 of 32 Posts