Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
813 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently painted my needles yellow to look like the JDM ITR yellow needles. Below are some pictures.

close-up of the right side:



close-up of the left side:



entire cluster:



entire cluster at night:



Now for how to paint the needles:
1.) Remove and dissassemble the cluster using the following article: Indiglo Gauge Install
2.) Remove the orange paint from the bottom side of the needles by placing a piece of aluminum foil under the needle. Then using a Q-tip and Parks Epoxy and Lacquer Thinner remove the orange paint from the under side of the needle.

3.) Using Tamiya acrylic paint (X-8 lemon yellow) and a small hobby paint brush, paint the under side of the needles (2 coats).

4.) Reassemble cluster and reinstall.
5.) Sit back and enjoy your new yellow needles, which cost you a fraction of the cost of the real thing.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
972 Posts
thats a great project! and with some amber bulbs, it will look even more authentic, did you have any problems getting you needles re-adjusted, I did for my speedometer
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
813 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wild0ne21 on Feb/01/04 said:
thats a great project! and with some amber bulbs, it will look even more authentic, did you have any problems getting you needles re-adjusted, I did for my speedometer
I just bought some amber bulbs on Friday, so I hope to try this soon.

The only needle that seemed to be affected by being moved was the fuel guage. When I removed the cluster to install the amber bulbs, I will readjust it. It is only off by a very slight amount. My low fuel light use to come on when the needle was on the red line, but now it come on when the needle is just slightly below the line. So, I would suggest placing a piece of masking tape under the gauge and making a mark on it where the needle was at before proceeding. All the other gauges were not affected by being moved.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
813 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
dc2uner on Feb/01/04 said:
Nice job man. I was hoping that the needles would be more brighter than that though. But I still like it.
I assume that you are referring to brightness at night. I will try taking some better pictures at night. For some reason the picture doesn't show the true brightness. Actually the needles are the same brightness as they were before I painted them.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,994 Posts
BSQ5 on Feb/01/04 said:
The only needle that seemed to be affected by being moved was the fuel guage. When I removed the cluster to install the amber bulbs, I will readjust it. It is only off by a very slight amount. My low fuel light use to come on when the needle was on the red line, but now it come on when the needle is just slightly below the line. So, I would suggest placing a piece of masking tape under the gauge and making a mark on it where the needle was at before proceeding. All the other gauges were not affected by being moved.
the pin that the needle sits on for the gas gauge moves easily, even while putting the needle on. I found the best way to install the needle was to fill it up, give the gauge some time to setup on full, then put the needle on full, wait, and see if it's where you want it, if not pull back off and try again. Or you could do this same proceedure at empty. just arrive at the gas station ready to play with the needle.

btw, Brett, the needles look great!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
202 Posts
i installed the actual jdm yellow needles in my friends car, when i put amber bulbs in the needles would light up amber as well and when red bulbs were put in.. the needles would light up red.

so thats the only con to putting in different color bulbs. so if u still want to keep the yellow light id just keep the regular bulbs and and figure out a way to mask amber color underneath the gauges
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,005 Posts
can you please tell me exactly how you painted it? U have to take the paint of first using paint thinner? how did you take it off? qtip or cloth? can you just paint over it? did you take the needles off the cluster? how much did the paint cost? what kind of thinner? thanks!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
622 Posts
i used nail polish remover & Q-tip...the hard part was painting it perfectly...anyone using it i recomment a really fine brush...
I have yellow gauges and i like em!!..thanks BSQ
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
813 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
jdmkraziestyles on Feb/01/04 said:
can you please tell me exactly how you painted it? U have to take the paint of first using paint thinner? how did you take it off? qtip or cloth? can you just paint over it? did you take the needles off the cluster? how much did the paint cost? what kind of thinner? thanks!
The paint cost $1.20.

I didn't remove the needles. I left them in place and I just used a small hobby paint brush. I also used a piece of aluminum foil under the needles so that I would not get paint on the gauge faces.

All the other questions were addressed in my original post.
 
1 - 20 of 66 Posts
Top