Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HOW TO CLEAN YOUR SWITCH

There has been many people that have been having problems with there ignition switch going out.

Problems to look for
speedo went to zero immediately.
The starter motor would work just fine and get the motor up to about 1500 rpm quickly, but as soon as you released the start detente, the motor would just die. you tried to restart numerous times always with the same result.
The Wipers, mirrors, windows, ventilation fan, power roof and indicator lights also would not work.
Horn, Headlights and instrument lights did work.
Car starts at the 3rd point but shuts off when you let go.
Car will start but dies at random and takes a long time to start back up.

Tools needed
Fine sandpaper
Clear silicone
4 small flat head drivers
and patience

The first thing you need to do is to take the 2 bolts off so you can get to the switch.
Now i cleaned my switch in side the car but taking it out will be way faster.

Now that you have it out,slowly on clip the tabs. Try not to snap them. Put the small flat heads in each clip.

After you have it apart,look out because there are 4 springs in side with little sliders.This is what it looks like apart

Now take off the first slide and springs.And the other one.

Now there are humps on the tabs that make the connection when you turn the key.See how black they are? With a light sand paper,clean them off.

Now you need to clean the other half of the switch.You can see what im talking about.

Now to put it back together. The springs are all the same size so just put them in there spot. P.S i slightly stretched mine just a tad to be safe. Start with putting the spring in and after put the big slider in and then the small one. They only go in 1 way.
Now with the cap,i put just a small amount of silicone on the in side to keep gunk and moister out.
Add up the tabs to there spot and slowly snap it together.

And that's it.

Hope this will help you guys out.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Very well done post, good format, content and pics.

I did the same thing on my 95 GSR after reading the manual and finding out which systems had failed, and determining that the ignition switch appeared to be the problem.
Driving down I-35 near Temple, TX about 70 MPH and the motor just shuts off. Really a weird feeling because the tach looked like it was working but the speedo went to zero immediately.
The starter motor would work just fine and get the motor up to about 1500 rpm quickly, but as soon as I released the start detent, the motor would just die. I tried to restart numerous times always with the same result.
I noted the Wipers, mirrors, windows, ventilation fan, power roof and indicator lights also would not work.
Horn, Headlights and instrument lights did work.
I used sandpaper to clean the switch contacts on both the spring loaded metal plates housed in the white plastic part and the soldered-wire harness part, without removing the electrical harness from the car. The battery terminal inside the switch did have one burn area, but the switch appeared to be in fairly good shape. I suppose that one burned part was enough to make the ignition contact fail.
After cleaning the contacts and reassembling the switch it started fine and all previously failed electrical components work fine.
I wanted to note the problems I found, so the next guy may use less time in diagnosing the problem.

·
Registered
5,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nice info lmfar427. I posted you're reply on the first post so every one can see it. Thanks.

·
Registered
58 Posts
ahhhhhhh I find this AFTER I replaced my whole ignition damn it! oh well better off mine had 3 of the clips broken off and inside the sliders were barely held in there... good DIY tho

·
Registered
39 Posts
Good write-up, Fairly easy project. I just want to throw in the lesson I learned the hard way. When re-installing the switch, DO NOT over tighten the 2 brass screws that hold in the switch.

-Fleeting sunlight and mosquitoes had me rushing, and I split my switch right in two. Clean break, it still works, for now.

·
Registered
5,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
*** Removed by user at Oct 1 2010 1:19PM (Server Time) ***

bensonnosneb on Sep/30/10 said:
Good write-up, Fairly easy project. I just want to throw in the lesson I learned the hard way. When re-installing the switch, DO NOT over tighten the 2 brass screws that hold in the switch.

-Fleeting sunlight and mosquitoes had me rushing, and I split my switch right in two. Clean break, it still works, for now.
lol i did the same thing also. I just put gorilla glue.

·
Registered
5,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
bensonnosneb on Sep/30/10 said:

lol i did the same thing also. I just put gorilla glue. tell i can fix it.

·
Registered
872 Posts
Hey do you mind adding what you take off to access the starter switch? My car just yesterday continued to try to start when I had the key in the off position. It was really weird but I figure this may be a decent place to start.

·
Registered
5,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just remover the knee panel and the wheel cover, not hard to do. Then there's 2 8mm bolts that hold the switch to the key ignition. I could post pics, but its snowing and cold, and i don't feel like taking the car apart again..lol

·
Registered
39 Posts
I had my starter replace because it went out now It starts about 4/5ths of the time with the key and the rest I have to push start it. I turn the key and it just clicks not the starter but something that sounds like it is in the cabin clicks.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I did this and it worked great! I did it twice though because I didn't stretch my springs the first time I did it and I had to go back and do it again but it worked great!

And lol I freakin broke like half of the tabs cause I was in a hurry to see if this would fix why my car would turn off right away

Great write up! :D

·
Registered
1 Posts
Sorry to bump an old thread. Had an issue where my Teg would die immediately after starting the car and letting the key go to the "II" position. Only way to "fix" it was to hold the key at the "Start" position for an extra second or two, which was obviously pretty bad for my starter.

Removed my ignition switch this morning, the contacts were pretty black especially on the part attached to the wires. Hit all the contact points with 2000 grit sandpaper and now the car has no more starting issues. Ran some errands, about 6 or so "starts" so far and I've yet to replicate the issue. Thanks for the tip!

Also... first post!

·
Registered
5 Posts
I also joined to purely thank the OP for putting this up. I picked up a beater integra 3 weeks ago for $200.00. fixed the obvious day-1 issues, and it's been bulletproof. I've put 1000+ miles on it. yesterday, I had it idling in my driveway. came back out, it had turned off. I figured "main relay", as those can be flaky in all Honda/Acura models. what I noticed is that I had no dash lights, and no "dings". I worked the key a bit in position II, and they flashed on and right off, showing that I had an ignition issue. start the car, fired right up, release the key, turned right off dead. the trick to get one home if you're somewhere when this happens, is to start it, and pull the key back to a spot in II where the indicator lights (and thus, the engine), stay on/running.

the springs are nice to tweek, but don't need to be. you can sand the spots circled below, and be on the road in 10 minutes. it was 5 screws for me total, the 3 holding the top/bottom plastics over the steering column, and the 2 brass screws holding the ignition to the key insert mechanism.

a few pics of location as requested. honestly, my car has 161K on it, and I'm willing to bet this will last another 150K miles. they just get dirty from natural usage...you clean the gunk up, you fix the lack of connection.

·
Registered
239 Posts
i guess i will have to try this my car cranks but does start no fuel pump prime but when i put power to it directly it work tried mew relay and it still does same thing

1 - 17 of 17 Posts